Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 04:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to get Puppy with Opera?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
atlas77

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 04:16    Post subject:  How to get Puppy with Opera?  

Hi!

I've recently downloaded Puppy Linux with Mozilla browser (only because i could not find the version with Opera, probably my dumbness though) and was thoroughly impressed. However, when I checked the download site (Hugh Chow's, I think) I did not see the version of Puppy that comes with opera. Could anyone tell me where I could download that or , if it is on Hugh's site, which version is the one with opera?

Thanks anyone for taking time to answer my question!
Nathan F

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 04:24    Post subject:  

There is currently no Opera build of Puppy, but it can be had as an addon package. It's also quite easy to install yourself from the Opera website, and that will give you the latest version which is sooooooo much nicer.

If you want an easier installation method, I've got an Opera unleashed package that I made for Grafpup. You should be aware in any event that you will also need Qt to make Opera work.

I like Opera a lot and use it all of the time myself. It's my new favorite and definately deserves a higher reputation. It has everything Mozilla has except the Composer, but in a much smaller package.

Nathan
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
MU

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 04:44    Post subject:  

Dotpup availabe there:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2371&highlight=opera

Mark
Artie

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 04:55    Post subject:  

Go to http://my.opera.com/arthur.engh and just follow my procedure. Good luck! Smile

Artie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
atlas77

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 05:23    Post subject:  

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll follow one of the links (probably the one that seems the simplest, since I'm a newbie).

One more question to Nathan if he doesn't mind: which version do u download from the Opera website, is Puppy Debian based? (please note that I only started using LINUX 1/2 weeks ago Smile))))

Ever since i first tried Opera I've been a fan, tried other browsers including Firefox but eventually I always ended up using Opera again, so I always recommend it to others (especially to those who still use IE).

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 06:53    Post subject:  

Okay, I forgot about the packages they have. Go to the main Opera page http://opera.com and click the download tab. You should be taken to a screen that says Opera 8.5 for Linux i386. It will ask you what distribution you have, which is a problem as Puppy doesn't use the same package management system as any of the ones on the list. There's an easy solution, however.

The Slackware package is actually a generic binary with a generic installer that works just fine with Puppy. I'd download that. Open it with guiTar (the archiver program) and extract the files first. Then go to the directory they got unpacked into using rox, for instance /root/opera. Right click on a blank part of the window and select xterm here from the menu. There is a self installer script in the directory that you can launch by typing
Code:
./install.sh
That will launch the installer and the rest is pretty self explanatory.

Like I mentioned before, however, you'll also need Qt. You can just fire up Pupget and pick it out of the menu to install it.

You'll probably also want the flash plugin but unfortunately it isn't there by default. You have to install it yourself.

I have an easier way. I made an unleashed package out of this very same build of Opera so you can install it as an alien package using Pupget. It has the flash and gxine starter plugins already so all you have to do is install it and Qt and you're ready to go. Get it from ftp://anonymous@grafpup.com@grafpup.com/packages/opera-8.5.tar.gz
Download it to /root, open Pupget, select Install_alien_package, and choose the opera package. I haven't tried the dotpup mentioned above but coming from MU I'm sure it works fine.

Nathan
atlas77

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 07:02    Post subject:  

Great, it all looks pretty straightforward even to me, so I'll do it (your easier way) as soon as I get home from work...

Thank you much again!

Peter
MU

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 07:09    Post subject:  

the dotpup was provided by rarsa.
It installs opera and the required libraries, when they are not installed.

Very simple, worked fine for me Smile
Mark

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 07:13    Post subject:  

I just realized there was a missing lib from the package. It's fixed and should be fully functional. Hope you didn't get the download before I had time to upload the fix.

Nathan
Artie

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2005, 08:12    Post subject:  

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/OperaBrowser tried to make it as simple as possible.

Artie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
atlas77

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2005, 03:31    Post subject:  

Yesterday I succesfully installed Opera after following the link posted by Artie (thx) and completing the step-by-step setup. It was really simple. I had experimented with Ubuntu Breezy but had difficulties with getting Opera to work properly and, even though Ubuntu advocates stress that the distro is a piece of cake for beginners, I can testify that it comes nowhere near Puppy regarding the learning curve. Puppy is amazing, thanks for this neat distro!

Thanks for all of your posts, it really helped a lot!

Peter
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2005, 04:22    Post subject:  

posted your kind comments here . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/OperaBrowser

How easy was that? Well go to the wiki page above - double click on it and edit. Take the rest of the day off for Puppy friskiness . . .

Artie

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2005, 12:03    Post subject:  

Thanks for the kind words. Very happy to be of assistance! Very Happy

Artie
ICQ Number 
ezeze5000

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2005, 16:30    Post subject: Opera Puppy  

I followed your instructions and have installed Opera in my Puppy, he really likes it! Very Happy

And with Opera installed GXINE works like a champ to play radio stations.

Athlon 2ghz Processor
1.5 gb ram
15 gb HD
19 in. Flat panel monitor
Artie

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2005, 17:33    Post subject:  

Very Happy I've neglected to mention that all the work with the DotPup was done by Rarsa of the Forum, thanks!, the rest is mine. Glad to be of help!

Artie
ICQ Number 
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: