New Pup for the Eeepc based on Puppy 301

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
capatt

#401 Post by capatt »

I'll definitely give that a shot. Are there instructions anywhere for putting Puppy on a bootable USB (or SD card) with persistent storage? I'll be able to test much more quickly that way.

Thanks!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#402 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dmpop

#403 Post by dmpop »

Hello,

Does anyone know what future plans for Puppeee are? Is the Puppeee project still active? Are there any plans to release a version of Puppeee based on Puppy 4.x?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Dmitri

tempestuous

Re: Good on the 901?

#404 Post by tempestuous »

capatt wrote:Has anyone gotten Puppee (or any other puplet) to run on the eee 901?
Your Eee 901 requires the "rt2860sta" wifi driver, and "atl1e" LAN driver. These drivers were tested under Puppy 4.1alpha5 -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 448#219448
and apparently they are now included in alpha6 as standard.

magerlab

#405 Post by magerlab »

I wonder if it's possible to have also drivers for eee pc 701 compiled for a newest kernel that will be in next puppy
i really like this device althogh it has a smaller screen and memory!

the only thing i wish is to have a boot like in xandros -15 sec( i got 30 sec with puppyrus)
and maybe to have a virtual resolution sometimes like described here
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=13549
and here
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php? ... 88#p119488

also i read that opera works better for small screens

paulsenior

wpa

#406 Post by paulsenior »

Hello,
i would try puppeee for my 701 surf.
I have a question about the Wifi-driver.
Did WPA works?
WEP works perfect on ubuntueee,xubuntu...
But this distros where too big,ii think.
The only problem is,that they cant handle WPA-Keys.

Sorry for my horrible english ;)
Thanks.

EDIT
I have another Problem.
I tried to install it on a usb-flash-drive, but it wont work.
He ask me where he can find the datas to install it,and i clicked on the cd,where puppeee is booted from.but he said there arent anz datas...

Dpup

Pupeee

#407 Post by Dpup »

I have two of the Eee 701 4GB PC's One with XP and other with Linux, but have installed Pupeee beta 4 on USB flash drive for both. Need to mount the CD drive before the installer can see the files for installation on USB flash drive since Pupeee beta 4 is based on earlier release of Puppy Linux. Mounting is not required for newer releases.

Have Pupeee working with the WiFi connection to both WPA and WPA2 TKIP security on DLink and Airlink wireless routers. Both work very well. Also have run Ubuntu and Mandriva Linux for the Eee, but they are very large and take much more time to load, have many features, but I don't need at this time.

I like Pupeee on the Eee because of the very reliable, stable, and consistent operation on USB flash drives without messing up the XP or Eee original Linux. Have installed and tested 1, 2, 4, 8 GB USB SD cards and Pen drives, of various brands and all work, and can swap files between them.

LaneLester

#408 Post by LaneLester »

I must be missing a step (or two) in using Pupeee on my Eee. I'm running Dingo, clicked the .iso and copied the files from the window that came up to a freshly-formatted fat16 USB flash drive. I ran syslinux on the flash drive and tried to boot it in my Eee. I got the message that it couldn't find a boot image: linux.

Oh, yes, I used fdisk to set the partition to active.

What do I need to do?

Lane

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#409 Post by Lobster »

I used fdisk to set the partition to active.
use gparted to 'set the flag' to boot

Hope that helps :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

LaneLester

#410 Post by LaneLester »

Lobster wrote:use gparted to 'set the flag' to boot

Hope that helps :)
Regretfully, it didn't. Gparted reported that the boot flag was already set.

But thanks anyway!

Lane

Dpup

Pupeee

#411 Post by Dpup »

LaneLester:

I recommend you download the free BootFlashDos utility. When run, it wil set up the partition, MBR, flag etc.. Then you can erase the files or reformat with Windows to FAT or FAT32, which appears to not mess up the boot capability. Then install Puppy to the USB flash booting from a DVD connected to ASUS Eee and use the Puppy Universal Installer to write the required files to the USB flash (carefully select your flash memory). Make sure you press esc during power up and select the flash memory to boot from. Also do not use the ASUS Eee internal flash card reader above 2 GB, because it is unstable in some production models. Recommend you use one of the USB ports.

This has worked 100% for me on several dozen different SD/SDHC flash, and USB pen drives with sizes of 1, 2, 4, and 8 GB...

Using the ASUS Eee drivers from the Pupeee site also has enabled making a number of other Puppy variants work with WPA, WPA2.

Dpup

LaneLester

#412 Post by LaneLester »

Thanks, Dpup, for describing the process that works for you. Regretfully, I have exceeded my enthusiasm for running Puppy on the Eee PC, having competing enthusiasms such as running it on my desktop and installing it in the computer lab I'm building at the school I run.

I spent a lot of time trying to get Breeezy working on my Eee PC, following exactly the steps provided by its developer... which, of course, work perfectly for him and others. I also did what it seems should have worked with Puppeee and didn't.

So thanks to everyone who provided suggestions, but I think I'll pass for now.

Lane

Dpup

Pupeee USB Install

#413 Post by Dpup »

For others installing Pupeee beta 4 or other Puppy versions on the ASUS Eee should look at the detailed collection of Eee specific drivers, scripts, modifications collected and posted on the author's Pupeee download site. dvw86 has done a lot of outstanding work developing Eee specific Puppy that really works well for the small size screen. Dvw86 also posted very specific instructions back in late February this year about Eee Puppy installation. (You can search his posts during February if interested). The most important one is not on this forum topic !!! dvw86 we really miss you ...

Also, if using a USB pen drive that has the U3 Launchpad, recommend that it be removed with either the free download utility Launchpadremoval, or U3Uninstall. Have see remarks that U3 can cause problems with Linux USB boot installs. Perhaps someone with detailed knowledge can comment.

Dpup

magerlab

#414 Post by magerlab »

the easiest( or EEEsiest :D ) way to customize puppy to eee 701 is a patch from Puppyrus ( russian puppy comunity) team member Farvater( Arsen Batagov). I tried it with puppy 3 and Dingo.
currently i use Boxpup on eee. ( it has opera and openbox wm )
so it can be used with 2.6.21.7 kernel( and maybe with puppy 4.1 retro also)
this patch uses the notes from Dvw86
and can be uninstalled easily

just install the patch and restart x

unforunately sometimes wifi does not work when puppy is installed on usb flash pen drive
but with frugal on SSD it works fine

http://puppyrus.org/pub/other/patch/eeepc-patch-2.pet - here's the link

also i set DPI to 96( global font) and the font in gtk to 8 to fit the screen better

LaneLester

#415 Post by LaneLester »

magerlab wrote:the easiest( or EEEsiest :D ) way to customize puppy to eee 701 is a patch from Puppyrus
That sounds very interesting, and I plan to check it out. I really like the looks and functions of Dingo, so it'd be nice to have it on the Eee.

But how do you use the patch? When and where do you run it?

BTW, I can finally report success with Puppeee. I had success with eeeTiger, and since his technique is very different, I used it with Puppeee and it worked!

Lane

picatrix

#416 Post by picatrix »

magerlab wrote:the easiest( or EEEsiest :D ) way to customize puppy to eee 701 is a patch from Puppyrus ( russian puppy comunity) team member Farvater( Arsen Batagov)
It seems that on puppyrus there is a specific version for eee 900...but I don't understand russian :( ...please, can a russian speaking member verify if audio/wifi/camera finally work in that version?

Thanks in advance

PicatriX

magerlab

#417 Post by magerlab »

this patch is a pet
i installed puppy frugal on SSD and then installed this patch and reboot ( or maybe just restart x is enough)

as for 900 there's a version that works ( i can ask if the camera works) audio and wifi surely work
but the whole disro is in russian( almost every script is translated)
maybe i'll ask for a patch with drivers

picatrix

#418 Post by picatrix »

"Cпа

magerlab

#419 Post by magerlab »

i hope that patch was useful
the only thig that do not work properly is shutdown when battery is low

cobelloy

webcam

#420 Post by cobelloy »

hi,

im sorry I havent read through the whole thread, it is very long. I am using puppy 4.1.1, pupeee was no go for me due to the hsdpa modem I have. The problem I have is that my webcam is fine in amsn and nothing but static in skype 2, since you already have wecam + skype setup in your derivative, can you tell me what module it uses, I am using uvcvideo and it is fine in amsn but no good in skype.

also did you get the builtin mic working? mine picks up only static, while the external mic socket functions just fine, if so - any tips?

eeepc 900ha sataHDD model

thanks