How to get Puppy with Opera?

Booting, installing, newbie
atlas77

How to get Puppy with Opera?

#1 Post by atlas77 »

Hi!

I've recently downloaded Puppy Linux with Mozilla browser (only because i could not find the version with Opera, probably my dumbness though) and was thoroughly impressed. However, when I checked the download site (Hugh Chow's, I think) I did not see the version of Puppy that comes with opera. Could anyone tell me where I could download that or , if it is on Hugh's site, which version is the one with opera?

Thanks anyone for taking time to answer my question!

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

There is currently no Opera build of Puppy, but it can be had as an addon package. It's also quite easy to install yourself from the Opera website, and that will give you the latest version which is sooooooo much nicer.

If you want an easier installation method, I've got an Opera unleashed package that I made for Grafpup. You should be aware in any event that you will also need Qt to make Opera work.

I like Opera a lot and use it all of the time myself. It's my new favorite and definately deserves a higher reputation. It has everything Mozilla has except the Composer, but in a much smaller package.

Nathan

MU

#3 Post by MU »

Artie

#4 Post by Artie »

Go to http://my.opera.com/arthur.engh and just follow my procedure. Good luck! :-)

Artie

atlas77

#5 Post by atlas77 »

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll follow one of the links (probably the one that seems the simplest, since I'm a newbie).

One more question to Nathan if he doesn't mind: which version do u download from the Opera website, is Puppy Debian based? (please note that I only started using LINUX 1/2 weeks ago :)))))

Ever since i first tried Opera I've been a fan, tried other browsers including Firefox but eventually I always ended up using Opera again, so I always recommend it to others (especially to those who still use IE).

#6 Post by Guest »

Okay, I forgot about the packages they have. Go to the main Opera page http://opera.com and click the download tab. You should be taken to a screen that says Opera 8.5 for Linux i386. It will ask you what distribution you have, which is a problem as Puppy doesn't use the same package management system as any of the ones on the list. There's an easy solution, however.

The Slackware package is actually a generic binary with a generic installer that works just fine with Puppy. I'd download that. Open it with guiTar (the archiver program) and extract the files first. Then go to the directory they got unpacked into using rox, for instance /root/opera. Right click on a blank part of the window and select xterm here from the menu. There is a self installer script in the directory that you can launch by typing

Code: Select all

./install.sh
That will launch the installer and the rest is pretty self explanatory.

Like I mentioned before, however, you'll also need Qt. You can just fire up Pupget and pick it out of the menu to install it.

You'll probably also want the flash plugin but unfortunately it isn't there by default. You have to install it yourself.

I have an easier way. I made an unleashed package out of this very same build of Opera so you can install it as an alien package using Pupget. It has the flash and gxine starter plugins already so all you have to do is install it and Qt and you're ready to go. Get it from ftp://anonymous@grafpup.com@grafpup.com ... 8.5.tar.gz
Download it to /root, open Pupget, select Install_alien_package, and choose the opera package. I haven't tried the dotpup mentioned above but coming from MU I'm sure it works fine.

Nathan

atlas77

#7 Post by atlas77 »

Great, it all looks pretty straightforward even to me, so I'll do it (your easier way) as soon as I get home from work...

Thank you much again!

Peter

MU

#8 Post by MU »

the dotpup was provided by rarsa.
It installs opera and the required libraries, when they are not installed.

Very simple, worked fine for me :)
Mark

#9 Post by Guest »

I just realized there was a missing lib from the package. It's fixed and should be fully functional. Hope you didn't get the download before I had time to upload the fix.

Nathan

Artie

#10 Post by Artie »

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/OperaBrowser tried to make it as simple as possible.

Artie

atlas77

#11 Post by atlas77 »

Yesterday I succesfully installed Opera after following the link posted by Artie (thx) and completing the step-by-step setup. It was really simple. I had experimented with Ubuntu Breezy but had difficulties with getting Opera to work properly and, even though Ubuntu advocates stress that the distro is a piece of cake for beginners, I can testify that it comes nowhere near Puppy regarding the learning curve. Puppy is amazing, thanks for this neat distro!

Thanks for all of your posts, it really helped a lot!

Peter

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

posted your kind comments here . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/OperaBrowser

How easy was that? Well go to the wiki page above - double click on it and edit. Take the rest of the day off for Puppy friskiness . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Artie

#13 Post by Artie »

Thanks for the kind words. Very happy to be of assistance! :D

Artie

ezeze5000

Opera Puppy

#14 Post by ezeze5000 »

I followed your instructions and have installed Opera in my Puppy, he really likes it! :D

And with Opera installed GXINE works like a champ to play radio stations.

Athlon 2ghz Processor
1.5 gb ram
15 gb HD
19 in. Flat panel monitor

Artie

#15 Post by Artie »

:D I've neglected to mention that all the work with the DotPup was done by Rarsa of the Forum, thanks!, the rest is mine. Glad to be of help!

Artie