Wakepup2 Aug 2008 - floppy image for booting from USB

Using applications, configuring, problems
otropogo

#21 Post by otropogo »

Crash wrote:
Quote wrote:Does the "August 2008" version still work?.....

I'm afraid not.
OK, we need to go even further back to get a baseline. With the "latest official Wakepup2 version", i.e. the one from Puppy 3.01, do you still get the message:
ASPI CD-ROM Driver of DOS Version4.01...

Host Adapter 0, Target SCSI ID = 4 - LUN 0: SONY CD-RW CRX145S 1.0c CD-ROM driver installed: I host adapter(s), 1 target(s),

Gotta start somewhere...
OK. I found the post where I first reported this problem
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:46 am

Have finally tested the new pcmcia.bat file with and without the new autoexec.bat and config.sys, and am sorry to report the following:

2. with the pcmcia option, the situation is rather worse. Where the old pcmcia.bat loads the ASPI CD-ROM driver for DOS, v. 4.01 and succeeds in identifying the SCSI ID and model of the CDROM drive attached to my pcmcia_scsi host adapter, the new pcmcia.bat doesn't appear to detect anything except an active socket("device 1 found"). And when all of the available SCSI drivers have been tried, reports:

"no scsi controllers found, no scsi logical drives to support".

So I'm afraid there's been a significant step backward.
So there's the problem. It's in the changes you made to the pcmcia.bat file released just prior to my report on July 4. There's no need to go all the way back to the stock Wakepup2.

otropogo

#22 Post by otropogo »

8-bit wrote:... if driver support for the device is not compiled into the kernel, Puppy no longer sees or is able to access the device....
There must be pcmcia support in the kernel, since all the versions of Puppy I've tried support pcmcia.

The problem is providing the pcmcia support via a boot floppy. This can be done, because I've used such floppy support to install Suse 9.2 on the CF-25 laptop.

. Suse 9.2 (kernel 2.6.8.) provided a five disk floppy set, and the pcmcia disk enabled the pcmcia port and the installed slimscsi adapter. After that, the installer was able to read the installation CD in the CDROM drive attached to the pcmcia_scsi adapter.

Anyway, the pcmcia_scsi support is not that important. What's essential is the pcmcia support. If we could get that into Wakepup, we could boot from a CF card adapter in the pcmcia slot.

Crash

#23 Post by Crash »

Otropogo-

You still need to go back to a known good baseline. I can't work backward, only forward.

With the "latest official Wakepup2 version", i.e. the one from Puppy 3.01, do you still get the message:

Host Adapter 0, Target SCSI ID = 4 - LUN 0: SONY CD-RW CRX145S 1.0c CD-ROM driver installed: I host adapter(s), 1 target(s),

?

otropogo

#24 Post by otropogo »

Crash wrote:...
With the "latest official Wakepup2 version", i.e. the one from Puppy 3.01, do you still get the message:

?
Yes.

Have just written a fresh official Wakepup floppy with Puppy 4.0 and booted from it on the CF-25, with a CDROM drive attached to the slimscsi pcmcia adapter and the Puppy 4 alpha 5 LiveCD in the drive:

Initial Menu - selected #7 PCMCIA

got the above message, followed by

"...file found on idehd, drive C:"

Second Menu: SELECT PUPPY BOOT MODE - selected #6 Boot Media

Third Menu: PUPPY MEDIA LOCATION - selected #5 USB CD
Wakepup reports

"....file found usbcd drive Z:"

Third Menu: selected #1 - Normal

"Searching for files in computer disk drives...."

Fourth Menu - TYPE A NUMBER TO CHOOSE WHICH PERSONAL FILE TO USE:

0 none
1. sda1 /pup_save301R.2fs
2. sda2 /dev_save.bak/pup_save-301Rnopass.2fs

I selected "0 None"

Wakepup reports:

"pup_405.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#"

So Wakepup can clearly access the LiveCD in the pcmcia_scsi drive, otherwise, how would it know that the sfs file on it is called pup_405.sfs?

Crash

#25 Post by Crash »

OK. See if the attached test image works. It is derived from the Wakepup2 3.01 image with with John Doe's new autoexec.bat, config.sys, and todos.bat files inserted.

It does not support Zip Parallel Port, but if it works OK, I should be able to add it back in.

a66f0086cbafb11d4954b6f697255fce wp2test1.img

John Doe

#26 Post by John Doe »

otropogo, can you tell me what drivers you modprobe to access the ppzip once booted?

also, what device is it recognized as?

I've got a custom initrd.gz/wakepup ready to test. I just want to cut out a step if possible by getting that info first.

otropogo

#27 Post by otropogo »

Crash wrote:OK. See if the attached test image works. It is derived from the Wakepup2 3.01 image with with John Doe's new autoexec.bat, config.sys, and todos.bat files inserted.

Yes, it fails at the same place. But now there's an extra step, after Boot Media, which seems redundant.

In the original, when USBCD is selected in Boot Media, the drive is designated "Z:" immediately, now you get another menu and have to select USBCD again.

Didn't you also replace the corrupted Backpack files? I remember your reporting that they were corrupted.

otropogo

#28 Post by otropogo »

John Doe wrote:otropogo, can you tell me what drivers you modprobe to access the ppzip once booted?
no
John Doe wrote:also, what device is it recognized as?
It's not. I have no idea how to implement parallel ZIP support in Puppy. You'd think that since it claimed boot support for it in Wakepup for several years it would have it. But I don't see it, and I have no idea how to implement it.
John Doe wrote:I've got a custom initrd.gz/wakepup ready to test. I just want to cut out a step if possible by getting that info first.
Wish I could help.

Crash

#29 Post by Crash »

When you get to the "Select Puppy2 Boot Mode" menu with this version, you should be able to simply select "1 Normal" and continue.
Otropogo wrote wrote:Didn't you also replace the corrupted Backpack files? I remember your reporting that they were corrupted.
This is a clean restart. I'll add them back after this is tamed down a bit.

John Doe

#30 Post by John Doe »

otropogo wrote:Wish I could help.
Try 'modprobe imm' and see what happens.

Lots of info here:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/ZIP-Drive.html

otropogo

#31 Post by otropogo »

Crash wrote:When you get to the "Select Puppy2 Boot Mode" menu with this version, you should be able to simply select "1 Normal" and continue.
I booted the test floppy to try this, and now it doesn't recognize my Adaptec host adapter. I tried it a second time and a third time- same thing.

I booted into Windows - no problem, it reads the LiveCD just fine. Puppy 301R mounts the drive fine too...

I suspect Puppy's floppy writes. I've always had problems making wakepups and even formatting floppies in Puppy.

Next time I'll just sneaker the image over to my Win98 machine and use rawrite.

BTW - next time you make a test img for me, could you comment out all those SCSI drivers I don't need? It takes forever to load and try all of them.

It would be nice to have the menu wait for me too. If I don't hit #7 in time on the first menu it defaults to Normal, and I have to reboot.

8-bit

#32 Post by 8-bit »

I have been following along and still have some questions.
As I understand so far, drivers to detect devices are loaded by FREEDOS.
Upon selection of a boot device to boot Puppy from, your loadin program passes control to the kernel on the device and the kernel is then responsible for detecting devices and loading the drivers built into the kernel for the devices and continuing with the boot process.
If... the kernel does not have native built in support for a device, I think that is the reason that an error is given on not being able to find the remaining support files to finish the boot.
And lets just assume that the drivers loaded while in FREEDOS fail to exist after the kernel is loaded and it is the supported devices that are built into the kernel that in the end dictate the ability to recognize the device you are trying to boot from.
The key here is the driver for the device HAS to be part of the kernel code.
Am I correct in these assuptions?
Remember here that if the kernel does not recognize the device, all other files on it show up as not found.
For test purposes, would stopping after booting the kernel drop one to a command line to see if the kernel indeed has support for the device?

otropogo

#33 Post by otropogo »

8-bit wrote:...
Upon selection of a boot device to boot Puppy from, your loadin program passes control to the kernel on the device and the kernel is then responsible for detecting devices and loading the drivers built into the kernel for the devices and continuing with the boot process.
If... the kernel does not have native built in support for a device, I think that is the reason that an error is given on not being able to find the remaining support files to finish the boot.
If pcmcia support were part of the kernel, why would all the older distros, such as Red Hat, Mandrake, and Suse, need to have special pcmcia boot floppies?

The thing that puzzles me is - how can Wakepup report it can't find xx.sfs while identifying which file it is? If I switch LiveCD versions, it always identifies the one in the drive. Is Freedos passing this on and Wakepup is simply parroting the information? And if so, how does Freedos know to look for a file with an sfs extension?

Crash

#34 Post by Crash »

Otropogo wrote:I booted the test floppy to try this, and now it doesn't recognize my Adaptec host adapter. I tried it a second time and a third time- same thing.
Have you found out what the problem is? Here are a couple of observations from my experience:

Floppies can be temperamental, but if you have a good one, and a technique that works that you can consistently apply, they are very reliable. There is a lot of debate on this subject on the Forum, and I don't wish to start up the debate again, but once you get a good formula, you can stick to it and get good, consistent results. You may want to do all floppy writes from Win98, and start with a fresh out-of-the-box disk from a name brand manufacturer, which is sometimes easier said than done. I have good results with RawWriteWin, but also have used rawrite successfully from the DOS prompt. I use dd extensively, but it takes some getting used to.

Also, if I find a result to be successful the first time around, but unsuccessful the second, I power down the computer and come back to it later. I may just be superstitious, but I think sometimes the configuration registers in some of the peripherals get into a "can't get out of" state, and only power-down gets things back to a known default condition.

At any rate, the WP2TEST1 image should be pretty bullet proof, and I would like you to convince yourself that it is good before we move on.
8-bit wrote:Upon selection of a boot device to boot Puppy from, your loadin program passes control to the kernel on the device and the kernel is then responsible for detecting devices and loading the drivers built into the kernel for the devices and continuing with the boot process.
Yes, this is my understanding. So as much as Otropogo may not like it, I define success as when the Kernel executes and knows enough that it can't find rest of Puppy. I realize complete success means having both Wakepup and the Kernel having the necessary hardware support, but I figure if I can get Wakepup to load the Kernel, someone else can address the Kernel issues.
Otropogo wrote:The thing that puzzles me is - how can Wakepup report it can't find xx.sfs while identifying which file it is?
The Kernel is customized to the particular version of Puppy that you are booting. The message comes from the Kernel, not Wakepup. That's why I say if you get that message, Wakepup was successful, even though the entire boot process is not.
Last edited by Crash on Sun 14 Sep 2008, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe

#35 Post by John Doe »

8-bit wrote:As I understand so far, drivers to detect devices are loaded by FREEDOS.
you got it.
8-bit wrote:If... the kernel does not have native built in support for a device, I think that is the reason that an error is given on not being able to find the remaining support files to finish the boot.
And lets just assume that the drivers loaded while in FREEDOS fail to exist after the kernel is loaded and it is the supported devices that are built into the kernel that in the end dictate the ability to recognize the device you are trying to boot from.
correct again. furthermore, the drivers from freedos are not available for the kernel (you assumed correctly).
8-bit wrote:Am I correct in these assuptions?
YES!!
8-bit wrote:For test purposes, would stopping after booting the kernel drop one to a command line to see if the kernel indeed has support for the device?
That would be one way to do it. It's not so much what's compiled in the kernel itself but rather the problem is more the modules that are included in the initr.gz image and whether or not initrd calls them. It's a pretty involved process but you seem to have gotten the gist of it.

otropogo's Parallel zipdrive is not going to boot without a modifided initrd.gz at this point (4.0.7).

I tried to post one the other night but the forum told me is was too big, although the wakepup image is bigger and it worked. That's the brakes I guess.

otropogo

#36 Post by otropogo »

Crash wrote: At any rate, the WP2TEST1 image should be pretty bullet proof, and I would like you to convince yourself that it is good before we move on.
Ok. I rewrote the img file with Rawrite2 in DOS, did a surface check and booted the laptop with it.

Then it occurred to me to put the 301 Retro LiveCD in the drive - and guess what? instead of the "301.sfs not found", I got "3,01.sfs found", a boatload of text scrolled across the screen, and Puppy 3.01 Retro loaded from the CD!

I then got out Puppy 3.00 Seamonkey, and the test floppy failed to load the driver again:

"Unable to open ASPI Manager!
ASPIDISK.SYS is NOT installed.

Invalid Opcode at.......
Error: Can't open file (0002h - file not found)
ASOI CD-ROM Driver for DOS
Version 4.01
Copyright Adaptec Inc.

ERROR: Adaptec ASPI Device Driver not available
CD-ROM driver NOT LOADED: no valid Adaptec host adapter"

I don't think there's anything wrong with the floppy disk, or with Rawrite. It's either the floppy drive on my laptop has had the biscuit (which I can't do anything about), or there's something not quite right with your image file. Happily this didn't happen again during the rest of the testing.

And, as I said before, if you're going to create a new img file for me to test, PLEASE comment out all the aspi drivers I don't need. It really slows down the boot process, and it's wearing out what's left of my only floppy drive needlessly.

Besides, these drivers for PCI, ISA, and probably, EISA host adapters don't belong in a menu that says "PCMCIA". They should be in a SCSI menu, or better, in their respective connector categories. I think someone using SCSI to boot surely should know whether his adapter is ISA, EISA, PCI or PCMCIA!

Anyway, on the second go-round, it found the adapter, reported the Puppy files on USBCD, presented the personal file options, but unlike either 301R, OR 4.0/4.1, it didn't report 300.sfs found OR not found, but just displayed:

Code: Select all

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
Next I tried 2.17.1. That one never got to the point of presenting personal files, it hung at "Loading kernel options..."

So then I went back to 2.16. It didn't detect anything except the Puppy on the hard drive (idehd). And strangely, when I hit Normal boot, it failed with the following message:

"Can't open kernel file"

and left me at the A:\ prompt

So I think your Wakepup needs some more fixing up. It should have booted from PMEDIA=idehd.

I kept going, and tried Puppy 3.00 Fat Free next, which stalled at the same spot at 2.17.1,

And finally, I tried 3.01 (standard), and guess what? It loaded from the LiveCD, only without the verbose display of 3.01 Retro..

I checked the bootkernel.log, which reports version 2.6.21.7.

So here's another puzzle. If the kernel is the problem, then why doesn't the Puppy 4.0 LiveCD, which has exactly the same kernel 2.6.21.7 as 3.01 standard, also load from the pcmcia_scsi drive?

BTW - although Puppy loaded into memory from the pcmcia_scsi CDROM, neither Pmount nor MUT show the drive.

I forgot to try this when I had the 3.01 Retro LiveCD mounted, but I know it would be the same, since it was only after Tempestuous found the aha152x_cs driver for the kernel that I was able to access the pcmcia_scsi chain with my frugal install.

So this is yet another mystery to me. How is it that the kernel is able to load Puppy into memory from a pcmcia_scsi drive, but once loaded and running, it can no longer access that drive?

Oh, and one other thing. Neither Pmount nor MUT detect the CF adapter in the other pcmcia slot either.

And gpccard reports "no sockets found".

I wonder what kind of sockets it's looking for? It is to laugh!

8-bit

#37 Post by 8-bit »

First, the new update works with usb for me.
Second, I have found a gui interface based on rawwrite on sourceforge
The maker claims it will run in DOS, Windows, and Linux!
Of course you would have to compile the source for linux use.
I do not know if it will work there, but you may want to give it a try.
For those using Windows or Dos, I will try including the zipped file and docs here.
And now for the source code.
Attachments
DskImage_1.4_src.zip
Source code for dskimage_1.4
(40.76 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
DskImage_1.4.zip
just unzip the file and click on dskimage to use it. It i user friendly!
(84.14 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

Crash

#38 Post by Crash »

Otropogo wrote:if you're going to create a new img file for me to test, PLEASE comment out all the aspi drivers I don't need. It really slows down the boot process
I'll do that, but I'd like to be sure of what drivers you really need. Here is a way to find out.

Attached is a test pcmcia.bat file. It sends the results of the driver execution to a text file on the floppy, "log.txt". It saves you from having to jot down all the intermediate results. If you replace the pcmcia.bat file on the "wp2test1" floppy with this file (maybe suitably saving the old pcmcia.bat file just for history), then run the floppy again, you can post the results of the "log.txt" file. Then I can make a quick custom pcmcia.bat file for you.

The results should look like what I have shown below. For this example, the results show a test that was semi-successful - it recognized a pcmcia slot, but couldn't load its driver. Your log file should look similar, but will have more drivers that indicate successful loading. Note after it finishes, it just dumps you to the DOS prompt - no attempt to load Puppy. I turned echo back on, so you don't get completely bored while it runs:

Here is what the results might look like:

log.txt:

Device number "12" found. 

SystemSoft Socket Services 2.1 Intel 82365LP Version 2.02 (2060-04)
Copyright 1993-1994 SystemSoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

SystemSoft Card Services/16RM 5.0 Version 3.10 (2036-42)
Copyright 1993-1995 SystemSoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Using UMB-first allocation.

SystemSoft Plug-N-Play Card Services Allocation Utility Version 3.01 (2137-19)

SystemSoft PCMCIA IDE disk driver Version 1.12 (2178-14)
Copyright 1992-1996 SystemSoft Corp.  All Rights Reserved.
This driver installed as a character device for 2 unit(s).
The pseudo base unit is C:
SystemSoft EPM (tm) ATA Client Driver Version 0.02.00

SystemSoft CardID Version 4.01 (2082-32)
SystemSoft CS APM Version 1.03
Copyright 1993-1994 SystemSoft Corp. All Rights Reserved
SHSURDRV by Jason Hood <jadoxa@yahoo.com.au>.
Version 1.11 (21 December, 2005).  Freeware.
http://shsufdrv.adoxa.cjb.net/

SHSURDRV        : Drive R

SHSURDRV image driver installed.
Archive:  driver/aspi.zip
  inflating: r:./amsida.sys          
  inflating: r:./aspi2dos.sys        
  inflating: r:./aspi4dos.sys        
  inflating: r:./aspi7dos.sys        
  inflating: r:./aspi8dos.sys        
  inflating: r:./aspi8u2.sys         
  inflating: r:./aspi8xx.sys         
  inflating: r:./aspi910u.sys        
  inflating: r:./aspia100.sys        
  inflating: r:./aspifcam.sys        
  inflating: r:./btdosm.sys          
  inflating: r:./dcam18xx.exe        
  inflating: r:./flashpt.sys         
  inflating: r:./ipsraspi.sys        
AMD PCscsi ASPI Manager for DOS version 3.14
(C) Copyright 1993-1996 by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
ERROR: No SCSI Devices Found During Scan!

ASPI Manager NOT Installed.

AIC-6260/6360/6370 ASPI Manager for DOS
Version 3.68
Copyright 1990-1997 Adaptec, Inc.

Host adapter at port address 340 failed diagnostics.
Host adapter at port address 140 failed diagnostics.
ASPI2DOS.SYS Installation Failed

AHA-1540/1542/1640 ASPI Manager for DOS

Version 3.36

Copyright 1989-1998 Adaptec, Inc.

ASPI4DOS.SYS Installation Failed

AIC-7770 ASPI Manager for DOS

Version 1.42
Copyright 1993-1995 Adaptec, Inc.

Unable to find any AIC-7770
ASPI7DOS.SYS Installation Failed

AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX ASPI Manager for DOS
Version 1.36
Copyright 1994-1999 Adaptec, Inc.

Scanning PCI bus using Mechanism #1...       

Scanning PCI bus using Mechanism #2...       
Unable to find any AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX                   
ASPI8DOS.SYS Installation Failed

Scanning PCI bus using Mechanism #1...       

Scanning PCI bus using Mechanism #2...       
Unable to find any AIC-7890/91                         
ASPI8U2.SYS Installation Failed

LSI Logic SDMS (TM) V4.0 DOS PCI ASPI Manager

Copyright 1995-2001 LSI Logic

ASPI8XX-4.11.00                                               

Please wait for initialization...

Initio INI-9100/9100W or INI-9XXXU/UW ASPI Manager for DOS Ver. 2.05           
Copyright (C) 1994-1998 Initio Corporation
ASPI910U.SYS is NOT installed.

Initio INI-A100U2W ASPI Manager for DOS Ver. 1.02A          
Copyright (C) 1994-1998 Initio Corporation
ASPIA100.SYS is NOT installed.

dc51739a767ff78f9a9395ad3a6aee59 PCMCIA.BAT
Attachments
PCMCIA.BAT.gz
Test program - does not load Puppy. Writes a &quot;log.txt&quot; file to floppy.
(758 Bytes) Downloaded 390 times
Last edited by Crash on Sun 14 Sep 2008, 04:29, edited 2 times in total.

otropogo

#39 Post by otropogo »

Today I tried booting from a CF card in a pcmcia adapter on my laptop.

I'd copied all of the files for Puppy 4.0 onto the CF card, plus the usbflash marker file. Then booted with the test1 wakepup floppy.

I selected #7 pmcia from the first menu, and after all the drivers were loaded and found nothing to enable, continued.

Wakepup found only the Puppy installation on the hard drive idehd.

I then tried Menu item #6 Boot Media and USBFLASH, but nothing was found other than PMEDIA=idehd.

I then chose #1 - Normal, expecting Wakepup to boot the frugal install on the hard drive, but it failed with the same message I reported yesterday:

can't open kernel file
I then rebooted to see whether the problem persists when choosing #1 IDE/USB drives on the initial menu.

I'm happy to report that my frugal install is loaded normally from that menu option.

So I suppose the image is working well enough to continue adding on the parallel port drivers.

Crash

#40 Post by Crash »

I think we made our posts almost simultaneously. I've been experimenting with a CF card in a PCMCIA adapter for a while now without success. But one problem is that my test bed laptop computer is "too modern" - actually has a PC CARD rather than PCMCIA slot. It boots fine on its USB port too, so the CF experiment is kind of academic for it. At any rate, I haven't given up, but need to re-group (scrounge an older notebook computer at the flea market or something).