[INSERT] kills Seamonkey when posting to forum <KLUDGED>

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
otropogo

#21 Post by otropogo »

puppyluvr wrote:...

@(I have read the entire thread, (all 2 pages LOL), and tried to offer a simple solution to one of the issues mentioned)

I guess you must have had a power nap or got distracted while reading my post of

8:23 am "yesterday"
bill wrote:
Yes,Cut n' Paste is the best way to assure you don't lose any of your laborious task ...

It is to laugh!.....

Maybe you'll "get it" on second reading.

puppyluvr

#22 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Yes, I am aware of the cut-n-paste suggestion, and have used it myself.
However, for non pre-prepared responses to questions, it is a bit tasking to write the response in Geany first, then C/P it in, I just was trying to offer a simple solution, which has saved me much frustration in the past.

"Well, Excuuuuuuuuuuuuse Me"
Steve Martin.......

@ If you`d like, I can "not" tell you how to resize the input box for posting too............

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8)

otropogo

#23 Post by otropogo »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
Yes, I am aware of the cut-n-paste suggestion, and have used it myself....
You STILL don't "get it".

The point was NOT that someone had suggested Geany, but that I had already tried your suggestion, and had reported that it resulted in my most disastrous loss of work ever, worse than any I'd ever had with Seamonkey.alone.

Since there followed other comments on this phenomenon, I'm baffled as to how you could have "read" the entire thread and yet totally missed the meaning of my response to your suggestion.

My best guess is that "reading" means something completely different to you.

It's quite impossible to have an intelligent conversation with someone who claims to be "listening" but isn't.

I've got to learn to stop trying....

puppyluvr

#24 Post by puppyluvr »

The point was NOT that someone had suggested Geany, but that I had already tried your suggestion, and had reported that it resulted in my most disastrous loss of work ever, worse than any I'd ever had with Seamonkey.alone.
MY Suggestion was to log back in, and back/page to the post again and submit it. At what point, in the 3 posts since did you report that??? Mozilla browsers cache pages, hey, why not use the technology.
As far as Geany, it wasnt my suggestion. I just agreed it was an answer, which I offered a simple alternative to, of which you havnt commented about, but attacked me about Geany instead..

Question: When the forum logs you out, ( The problem I had hoped to assist you with),
can you not just log in and backpage to the post again and submit it??????
Answer me please, without attempting to insult my attempt to help or going off on a tangent??...OK

@ With Opera at 160%, I am typing this into a 4" high, 8" wide box. Mozilla browsers also have a zoom capability, as does nearly every GUI browser I have, so whats the bfd???

otropogo

#25 Post by otropogo »

puppyluvr wrote:...
MY Suggestion was to log back in, and back/page to the post again and submit it.
Well, your suggestion was as clear as mud. But actually it occurred to me that you might have meant that. So I tried it. I typed a page of text in the post window, as I'm doing now. Then I hit the "insert" key, and Seamonkey closed down.

Then I reopened Seamonkey, logged back on to the forum, and tried the back arrows, just as you described. There was nothing "cached" there.

So then I decided you couldn't have meant that, because you wouldn't have given such advice without having tried it yourself, right? That left as the only other explanation of your post that you meant composing in a editor and then "resubmitting" by means of cut and paste.

And hence, my two criticisms, the first about not providing a clear context for your remarks, the second for suggesting something that had already been suggested, tried, and pronounced a failure.

Question: When the forum logs you out...
can you not just log in and backpage to the post again and submit it?????
NO. I can't.

Are you saying you can do this in another browser?
puppyluvr wrote:.@ With Opera at 160%, I am typing this into a 4" high, 8" wide box. Mozilla browsers also have a zoom capability, as does nearly every GUI browser I have, so whats the bfd???
Yes, that's ancient history. Somebody suggested the zoom thing to me a couple of weeks ago. It helps, but doesn't work very predictably in Seamonkey. The post window width is a constant 4.75" on my monitor, regardless of zoom, only the font size changes. But once in a while the post window blows up and takes up the whole screen, and then it's a chore to scale it back down again.

no need for vulgar acronyms.

raffy

correct advise

#26 Post by raffy »

puppyluvr wrote::D I have also had this prob with long posts, being logged out during typing. Easy fix: after relogging in, use back button to navigate to the page with the post typed up, then submit... Works for me...
That's 100% correct advise for the problem mentioned, with big smile added as bonus.

IMHO, the problem is the browser being used. Some external add-ons like Adobe Flash could cause browser problems, so it is a large enough topic in itself.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

trapster

#27 Post by trapster »

One nice feature with the latest firefox....whenever it crashes and you restart it, a message will come up asking if you want to start a new session or start with the previous session.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

puppyluvr

#28 Post by puppyluvr »

My suggestion related to being "kicked off the forum while typing long posts" and was quite applicable to that problem....
As for the other problem mentioned, it is definately Seamonkey. I tested it in 1.1.8 and BINGO, the insert key kills the browser. ( so does print screen and print preview).
I made a Seamonkey 1.1.11 pet, and tried it there, same result. Tested in Firefox, Opera, and Icecat, no prob...
Am looking at key-bindings ect...will post any results....
I cannot reproduce the bug in Geany as of yet...
Will keep trying...

otropogo

Re: correct advise

#29 Post by otropogo »

raffy wrote:
puppyluvr wrote::D I have also had this prob with long posts, being logged out during typing. Easy fix: after relogging in, use back button to navigate to the page with the post typed up, then submit... Works for me...
That's 100% correct advise for the problem mentioned...
otropogo wrote: I had this bright idea myself last night, thinking to avoid the deadly "insert"key stroke in Seamonkey by composing my text in Geany.
How can a suggestion that fails completely be "100% correct advice"?.

It might possibly have been correct if the advice had included the caveats:

1) don't use Seamonkey as the browser, and

2) don't use Geany as the text editor.

But it didn't. And my reply to Bill clearly stated that I was using both of the above.

puppyluvr

#30 Post by puppyluvr »

I have also had this prob with long posts, being logged out during typing.
Note the LOGGED OUT in my post..
Nothing about insert..
Nothing about Geany..
Logged out,
"clear as mud??"
Whatever...

otropogo

#31 Post by otropogo »

I started this thread on July 9th, having reported the problem even earlier elsewhere.

Nothing but kludges have ever been suggested, and no developer has shown any interest in fixing the problem in software or even discussing the feasibility of such a fix.

In the meantime, I've lost dozens of hours of input because of this stupid software glitch, which is incurred all too often on my keyboard as the [INSERT] key is bordered by the [BACKSPACE] key on the left, and the [DELETE] below.

My worst single loss of input, moreover, occurred recently, when I opted to use one of the suggested kludges - to compose my input in a text editor and then paste into Seamonkey.

I entered text into Geany for several hours, and when I minimized the Geany window to look at something else on my desktop, Geany shut down without warning, and without saving my input.

So now, after two months of waiting in vain for a real solution, or even a promise of one, I've decided on a hardware kludge that simply works - I've removed the [INSERT] key from my keyboard, so I can no longer accidentally kill Seamonkey and all my input.

muggins

#32 Post by muggins »

otropogo,

I don't know whether you would consider remapping the insert key a real solution, or a kludge, but xmodmap allows you to remap keyboard keys. I uploaded XKeyCaps, an xmodmap frontend, in this thread.

KF6SNJ

#33 Post by KF6SNJ »

I guess my first question is:

What version of puppy are you using?

My second question is then:

What version of seamonkey?

I ask as I am using the beta of ChurchPup 3.01 with SeaMonkey 1.1.2 and I can hit the INS key all day long and nothing happens. Such being the case, I am trying to understand what is happening and why. Once we can clear those hurdles, we can hopefully know how to proceed.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

otropogo

#34 Post by otropogo »

KF6SNJ wrote: What version of puppy are you using?
Puppy 4.0 Kernel 2.6.21
What version of seamonkey?
I ask as I am using the beta of ChurchPup 3.01 with SeaMonkey 1.1.2 and I can hit the INS key all day long and nothing happens.
You can't stop progress, I guess....

otropogo

#35 Post by otropogo »

muggins wrote:otropogo,

I don't know whether you would consider remapping the insert key a real solution, or a kludge, but xmodmap allows you to remap keyboard keys. I uploaded XKeyCaps, an xmodmap frontend, in this thread.
Hi muggins,

Nothing wrong with kludges, especially when there's no prospect of a native solution. I'll definitely have a look at your remapping solution.

Removing the [INSERT] key hasn't been much of a hardship for me, as I rarely use it. I just wish I'd done it weeks ago.

But thanks for the suggestion. There may be others who will find it much superior to the hardware fix I chose.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#36 Post by Flash »

KF6SNJ, what happens if you hit the insert key while composing a post in this forum? That's when it has happened to me, and under no other conditions except once when I was composing a Yahoo e-mail.

It seems to me that Otropogo has described two unrelated problems. One is that SeaMonkey sometimes closes under certain conditions when he hits the insert key, and the other is that Geany closes when he minimizes it. My guess is that those problems can't be reliably repeated, which is why no one has found their cause or a solution yet.

otropogo

#37 Post by otropogo »

Flash wrote:KF6SNJ, what happens if you hit the insert key while composing a post in this forum? That's when it has happened to me, and under no other conditions except once when I was composing a Yahoo e-mail.
You're right about the circumstance of the insert key closing Seamonkey. It happens when entering text in the forum post window.
You're mistaken about it being unrepeatable, because several people have reported exactly the same effect in this thread.

In fact, it's also been reported that hitting [PRINT SCREEN] does the same thing. But surely you can test it for yourself. Enter some text in a post window with Seamonkey and then hit the [INSERT] key.

Flash wrote:It seems to me that Otropogo has described two unrelated problems. One is that SeaMonkey sometimes closes under certain conditions when he hits the insert key, and the other is that Geany closes when he minimizes it. My guess is that those problems can't be reliably repeated, which is why no one has found their cause or a solution yet.
The problem with Geany occurred only once, and I mentioned it in passing because it was one of the kludges suggested to avoid the [INSERT] crash.

To depict the two issues as equally unreproducible is ridiculous. Note that there's no mention of Geany in either the subject line or the subtitle of the thread.

The reason no one has found a cause or a solution for the [INSERT] key problem is certainly NOT because it "can't be reliably repeated".
Last edited by otropogo on Tue 09 Sep 2008, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

otropogo

#38 Post by otropogo »

I've edited the thread title and subtitle a second time in order to make the nature of the problem quite clear. My apologies to KF6SNJ and anyone else who may have been confused by my first effort and my inadequate response to KF6SNJ's questions.

On reviewing the thread, it becomes apparent that it took a short while to establish exactly which key it was that kills Seamonkey, and under what circumstances. And it's clear that someone coming upon the thread more than a month later is unlikely to read the whole thing to get to the nitty gritty.

So I've used the limited space of the title and subtitle fields to remedy this as best I could.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#39 Post by Flash »

otropogo wrote:...You're right about the circumstance of the insert key closing Seamonkey. It happens when entering text in the forum post window.
You're mistaken about it being unrepeatable, because several people have reported exactly the same effect in this thread.
otropogo wrote:
Flash wrote:It seems to me that Otropogo has described two unrelated problems. One is that SeaMonkey sometimes closes under certain conditions when he hits the insert key, and the other is that Geany closes when he minimizes it. My guess is that those problems can't be reliably repeated, which is why no one has found their cause or a solution yet.
The reason no one has found a cause or a solution for the [INSERT] key problem is certainly NOT because it "can't be reliably repeated".
By repeatable I meant that it can be repeated on command, not that it has happened to someone else. Trying to find the cause and fix the problem is a hit or miss proposition if you can't make the problem happen whenever you want. Perhaps a better word than repeatable is duplicatable, but that word doesn't exactly trip off the tongue. Rather, it sort of stumbles.

Anyway, I meant to add something to the report, not get bogged down in a debate over semantics. My computer has been making squeaking noises for several days, and this morning the hard disk drive failed. Since Puppy now has no swap memory, it only reports 72 M free in the little window instead of 560 M. SeaMonkey has taken to closing without warning. It's done it twice so far this morning. Just another data point, for anyone who's trying to figure out the problem.

otropogo

#40 Post by otropogo »

Flash wrote:...
By repeatable I meant that it can be repeated on command, not that it has happened to someone else. ...
You yourself reported earlier in this thread that you had exactly the same experience as I reported (Seamonkey closing when hitting [INSERT] when text is entered in the forum's post window).

Are you saying now that you can't replicate this? Have you tried?

I can replicate the problem every single time. How many successive replications do you require to consider a BUG "repeatable"?

Furthermore, your suggestion that like reports of a BUG from various respondents has nothing to do with "repeatability" is utter nonsense.

Any report of repeatability that issues from only one source can, and will be, dismissed as either user error or deceit.

Replication of scientific research results doesn't mean that the original researcher can repeat the experiment with the same results. It means other researchers can obtain these results independently by following the protocols of the original researcher.

So the fact that other users on other machines with other configurations have reported experiencing exactly the same problem is ESSENTIAL. And this requirement has been met by posts from various users, including YOU.

Kindly stop trying to sabotage this thread ...