Audacious 1.3.2, with a working Amidi-Plug plugin

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Pizzasgood

Audacious 1.3.2, with a working Amidi-Plug plugin

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

audacious-1.3.2.pet
audacious_plugins-1.3.5.pet

You'll also want most of these dependencies:
libesd-0.2.36.pet
libidn-1.5.pet
libmcs-0.7.1.pet
libmowgli-0.6.1.pet
SDL-1.2.13.pet

The SDL probably isn't needed unless you want the visualizations. You don't need the libesd package - that's just an alternative to Alsa.

<UNRESOLVED DEPS: libwavpack and libartsc>
It will still work, other than maybe some of the special plugins or options. I think Arts is just another alternative to Alsa. Not sure what libwavpack does. I can play .wav files fine without it.

Audacious is a media player which was forked from Beep, which was based on XMMS. There is another package of this on the forum (I think from Dougal), but that one's amidi-plug plugin was broken and I couldn't fix it nor could I replace it successfully, so I found an rpm which did work, and made a .pet out of it. I also added some skins from XMMS and preconfigured the amidi-plug plugin to work with the timidity packaged I uploaded here.

The plugins package contains a big pile of plugins. I refuse to type them all out, sorry. The most important (IMHO) is Amidi-plug, which lets it run MIDI files through Alsa. That alone isn't enough to get you midi audio, but if you install the Timidity package I linked above (or fluidsynth and co.) you can set up a softsynth server that makes an Alsa port for MIDI (if you have a sound card that supports MIDI, you can manually load a sound font onto that and configure Amidi-plug to use it instead - this would be much easier on the CPU. Search the forum for directions). Once that's working you can play MIDI files through Audacity like they're normal audio files. Also included are 'PSF Module Decoder' and 'Game Console Music Decoder', which between them covers PSF, MINIPSF, AY, GBS, GYM, HES, KSS, NSF, NSFE, SAP, SPC, VGM, and VGZ.
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Sat 06 Sep 2008, 23:01, edited 3 times in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

You might want to share this as well:

Code: Select all

libmcs.so.1 => not found
(In a fresh Puppy 4.0)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

disciple wrote:You might want to share this as well:

libmcs.so.1 => not found
(In a fresh Puppy 4.0)
Hi i made a missing lib package for it.
libmcs depends on libmowgli, so I included both
ttuuxxx
Attachments
libmcs-0.6.0-i386.pet
(48.12 KiB) Downloaded 908 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Oh, I forgot about those. Sorry. When I made this package I was working on the next Pizzapup (not working hard, just frivolous superficial stuff for now, until 4.1 comes out. Then I'll start in on the core stuff. Otherwise I'd have to replicate too much work). For that, I had stuck them in separate packages. Then I forgot when I made this package, so I only used the Audacious part.

Thanks. I'll edit the first post to make sure people scroll down and grab that too.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

harryc

#5 Post by harryc »

Lots of dependancies missing on Pup 4.0 for the plugins package.
.pls doesn't work either, .e.g. shoutcast. Bummer :(

Can anyone recommend a low resource player for 4.0 that plays shoutcast?
Gxine is a pig and crashes on this distro.

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

I didn't realize it depended on those too.

Normally I install things on a clean install in order to avoid situations like this. I was lazy this time though :oops:

Give me a minute here and I'll throw them together.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, I added a bunch of the dependencies in the first post. That should cover everything except the libwavpack and libartsc dependencies, which I don't think matter. I'm missing those on my end and it works fine. I'm not sure exactly what libwavpack is needed for. Most people won't be needing the libartsc library, since you normally use Alsa as the output.

Has anybody else noticed that if you close it while a pile of files are in the playlist window, it doesn't save it properly? It adds a bunch of stuff to the end of each filename.

To me, this package is really a temporary solution. I eventually intend to compile the latest version from scratch, but that's pretty low on my to-do list and I wanted something now to handle midi without having to use a separate app from my normal media files. When I tried compiling it before I'd get it compiled fine, but whenever I tried running it I'd get segfaults. So I grabbed this one.

I recommend using Dougal's copy unless you need MIDI.

harryc

#8 Post by harryc »

Pizzasgood , thank-you.

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

.pls doesn't work either, .e.g. shoutcast. Bummer
I didn't see that part before. I just checked and it's working on my end. I have to actually download the .pls file and drag it to Audacous (or run it from the CLI), but then it works (after a delay for connecting). The browser could be configured to run it with audacious automatically, of course.

I think it was probably the lack of the idn plugin that caused you grief. Does it work now?

verycd8

#10 Post by verycd8 »

Audacious
From the unusual, there is no new version?

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

I've been working on it on and off when I had nothing better to do. So far I've gotten 1.5.1 to compile, and it mostly works too. I've had to do a workaround to let you click on files to play them though. And streaming audio is broken. I'm going to play with it some more later today to see if I can finish it up, because I want to have it ready so I can stick it on my sister's computer while I'm visiting for Christmas (fly up there tomorrow morning).

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

I've compiled a 1.5.1 that seems to work perfectly except it crashes when you use the gui to change a skin - and I can't remember, but a couple of the rarer input plugins may not be enabled, and only the fluidsynth and alsa backends to Amidi-Plug are enabled.

I can package it if anyone really wants it, but I'm afraid I have to recommend XMMS instead, as even playing MP3 on my 900Mhz Celeron, audacious has a problem like the fluidsynth Amidi-Plug backend does with xmms - i.e. every few minutes there's a glitch in the playback because a buffer is empty or something for some reason. I don't understand it, as it doesn't use very high CPU, and in the xmms case it will play MIDI using fluidsynth through the alsa backend perfectly.... anyway, rant over :(
I've had to do a workaround to let you click on files to play them though.
What sort of workaround? There is a known bug that some of the other distros have picked up, and some have a nasty looking workaround instead of the very simple fix.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

I've compiled a 1.5.1 that seems to work perfectly except it crashes when you use the gui to change a skin
NOW you tell me? I can almost hear the "Waah waah waaaahhhhhh" inside my head. :| By the way, to fix that crash you just put a check in "disable inline gtk theme". The it lets you change skins, except for the occasional one it just doesn't like.

I have everything I wanted working working now though, except the click-a-file thing (and the crash on loading certain skins, but I removed those - probably corrupt anyways). The issue I have is that I can't run audacious some_music.ogg. Instead, I have to give it the -p option. But if it isn't running already, the -p option causes a segfault. So I wrote a crude little wrapper to check if it's running, and if not start it and wait two seconds before running it again with the -p option.

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! "$1" = "" ] && [ "$(ps c | grep 'audacious$')" = "" ]; then 
	( audacious >/dev/null 2>&1 & ) &
	sleep 2
fi
exec audacious "$@"
Are you saying this is actually a bug and it has a fix? If so: gimme! :)

every few minutes there's a glitch in the playback because a buffer is empty or something for some reason.
How big of a glitch? Is it the sort of thing that average-Joe would be able to hear, or doe it take a trained ear? Because I haven't noticed anything yet with either the compile I was using before or the one I made today.

Pizzasgood

#14 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, since I already had everything uploaded when I read this, and I won't have time to update anything again until tomorrow evening at the earliest (am traveling all morning), I decided to go ahead and post it. You can try it and see if you notice the same glitch you mentioned. If you have any ideas for improving it, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'm going to tar up all the build directories I created so I can bring them with me in my laptop to facilitate that. (I'm going to be out of state for a month starting tomorrow.)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 232#257232

disciple

#15 Post by disciple »

Sorry, I think I was confused. I originally had that segfault bug but I think it was fixed by a patch for some other bug, not specifically for it. Maybe this one

diff -Naur audacious-1.5.1.orig/src/audacious/main.c audacious-1.5.1/src/audacious/main.c
--- audacious-1.5.1.orig/src/audacious/main.c	2008-05-24 00:00:34.000000000 +0200
+++ audacious-1.5.1/src/audacious/main.c	2008-08-13 03:02:52.362244501 +0200
@@ -715,6 +715,9 @@

signal_handlers_init();

+    plugin_system_init();
+    playlist_system_init();
+
     handle_cmd_line_options();

if (options.headless == FALSE)
@@ -732,9 +735,6 @@
         ui_manager_create_menus();
     }

-    plugin_system_init();
-    playlist_system_init();
-
 #ifdef USE_DBUS
     init_dbus();
 #endif
By the way, to fix that crash you just put a check in "disable inline gtk theme"
Doesn't work in my build - although I didn't try clicking on every theme :)
How big of a glitch?
A huge one. I'll try your package.

Wow. Audacious' website is actually up again - even if some of their own links are broken. Here I was thinking the project was dead :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

verycd8

#16 Post by verycd8 »

Pizzasgood wrote:Well, since I already had everything uploaded when I read this, and I won't have time to update anything again until tomorrow evening at the earliest (am traveling all morning), I decided to go ahead and post it. You can try it and see if you notice the same glitch you mentioned. If you have any ideas for improving it, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'm going to tar up all the build directories I created so I can bring them with me in my laptop to facilitate that. (I'm going to be out of state for a month starting tomorrow.)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 232#257232
Renewed, thanks!
1.51Certainly was better

applepai

#17 Post by applepai »

thanks for you sharing,I look for a long time ,It's work well on my computer!

disciple

#18 Post by disciple »

A warning FYI - there seems to be a major bug that can cause your log file to rapidly fill up with error messages, eating your whole disc :(
I only experienced it a couple of days ago. I saw either Debian or Ubuntu (can't remember which) had a patch... I think I might compile a package from Debian source, as there seem to be an awful lot of bugs in the original release, and they may have picked a lot of them up.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER