Installed Dingo in a USB stick but it won't boot

Booting, installing, newbie
htamayo

Installed Dingo in a USB stick but it won't boot

#1 Post by htamayo »

Hi, I recently downloaded the puppy dingo iso, is a great distro, I want to install it in my usb stick, I followed the instructions from the official wiki, using the universal boot installer etc etc, in fact, in my usb i have 2 partitions, the first is fat32, the second is ext3 where is installed dingo, also I installed an boot loader suggested in universal installer-mbr bin-.

So, when I tested the installation in my pc, the usb didn't boot, previously i tweak the BIOS to put before the HDD my USB Stick, but it didn't boot.

My questions are:
1. the partition where is installed Dingo has to be the first partition in my usb stick?
2. is there a way to check if the installation has done in the right way?

Regards

freamon

#2 Post by freamon »

1. the partition where is installed Dingo has to be the first partition in my usb stick?

No, it doesn't matter which partition it is as long as it has the boot flag set (load up the live CD again and use Gparted (Menu->System->Gparted partition manager). However, the reason that it isn't booting is that the default install requires fat32, not ext3, so it should work if you put it on the first partition.

2. is there a way to check if the installation has done in the right way?

Load the live CD, mount the USB drive, if it contains the files

vmlinuz
initrd.gz
pup_400.sfs
zdrv_400.sfs
extlinux.conf

then your install went okay.

If you really want to install Puppy on the ext3 partition, you'll need to install GRUB as your boot manager, then change your menu.lst entry to something like:

title Puppy Linux
root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz ro vga=normal pmedia=usbflash
initrd /initrd.gz