Ms Puppy only writes the first session back to CD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
dot_pup

Ms Puppy only writes the first session back to CD

#1 Post by dot_pup »

Hello! all

I recently downloaded and ran a multisession cd of 1.0.5-chubby-puppy

I saved the first session fairly acurately and when I booted the second time my changes were applied, but I am not able to save anymore sessions after the first session.

It shows I/O errors and errors like 0x56 or something like that and reboots without showing previous session's files.

It also shows an error regarding /root0
What is this ?

Can someone help me out here ? Please

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Sounds like exactly the same problem I'm having. See my post here.

dot_pup

#3 Post by dot_pup »

I got inerested in ( or better yet, I was introduced to ) Puppy only few weeks back. Before that time I had no idea What Linux was or how it worked at all.

At that time latest puppy was 1.0.4. So I downloaded it, burned a Cd and ran multisession LiveCD for the first time. ( I still have that CD ), I configured it over and over again, ran it over and over again and no problem occured whenever I saved my session back to CD.

I loved the Puppy so much that I had burnt like 50+ CDS for my friends. ( They all loved it and Thanked me for it )

Problem started later on when I burned another CD, it started showing errors when I tried to save sessions

I/O errors
CDRECORD errors
EOF initdn
Bad Request, and some more I can't read as the lines were moving so fast.

I thought since I had used my (ASUS) burner too many times maybe it was malfunctioning, I bought a brand new Sony burner and much to my disappointment, the same problem is now ocurring with every CD that I burn.

I initially configured a pup001 file and saved it in zip form on my disk and whenever I want to load old configuration I just unzip it to C:\ drive and run new Puppy LiveCD pointing it to update from hda1 pup001. It boots and shows my configuration but can not save sessions.

Help me out with these problems if you guys can because it is driving me crazy, and I have had just about enough of this situation. I would hate to go back to using Windows but I might if this problem persists.

HELP!

#4 Post by Guest »

From what I can understand of the error messages going by on the screen, I think it may be attempting to burn my CD as though it were a DVD.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Is this the same iso you burned the first time, or have you downloaded a different one? Have you bought some new CD-Rs?

Perkins

#6 Post by Perkins »

Yep. It's trying to burn my CD as a DVD-R. (For those of you trying to read things on the screen as it goes past, ^S will pause the text and ^Q will let it continue. Most of the time. :wink: )

Anyway, it is actually in a DVD burner, but it should also be able to burn CDs. It burned the first and second tracks properly, but now it's misdetecting the media type. Is there perhaps a way to tell it what kind of media it's on and so bypass the whole detection thing?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

is that "^" actually an 'up arrow'?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Have you tried the latest experimental iso:
http://puppy.wise-guy.us/
-- see other threads in Multisession section of Forum for more info.

Cerberus

#9 Post by Cerberus »

ANd some cheaper DVD burners can only burner DVD's, some can only burn DVD-R even

pakt

#10 Post by pakt »

Flash wrote:is that "^" actually an 'up arrow'?
I can answer that for you. What Perkins means is press Ctrl-S to pause scrolling and Ctrl-Q to resume scrolling.

Glad I some of my old MS-DOS knowledge is still useful ;)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Thanks. I don't think I'm the only one who's been wondering why there isn't such a tool.

Perkins

#12 Post by Perkins »

@pakt Way to go man. Sorry if I confused anybody, old habits die hard. There are one character symbols for the alt and shift keys too, but they're not on most keyboards.

And yes, my drive can burn CDs. I used it to burn the original image, and it burned track two just fine as well. Then it started thinking it was a DVD... I'll try the latest version in a bit and see what happens. Methinks I should invest in a CD-RW until this is over... Either that or plan on building a few toy cars with large wheels...

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

Okay, there's a bug in the 14th October multisession-iso, if burn to CD,
starts thinking it's a DVD.

Will upload soon, new version with that bug fixed.
...maybe Friday.

radtek

#14 Post by radtek »

I downloaded and burned a multi-session in my laptop Oct-27. The first shut down it read to the disk but subsequent shut downs I get errors and no burn. The laptop I'm using has a cd burner with dvd-ROM.

Hmmm. What to do?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Is this the 20oct05 version or what?

aahhaaa

#16 Post by aahhaaa »

Flash- thanks for pointing out this thread... :D

press Ctrl-S to pause scrolling and Ctrl-Q to resume scrolling.

OK, DOS guys, so why doesn't PrintScrn work at this point? That'd be handy, or mebbe directing to a log.txt file for debugging?

the bit about some burners only doing DVD is new info to me, should be in the wiki somewhere

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

Here is my proposed solution to the problem of the boot screen whizzing by so fast. :)

aahhaaa

#18 Post by aahhaaa »

Flash- again we are on the same wavelength! :D
That's quite a thread...
(One solution nobody mentioned is to return to a processor so slow that the messages are still human readable- thats where this all began. )

I think it is important in a couple ways. I'd tried another distro (which will remain nameless). It did the same thing, text streams roaring by, except there were a lot of red FAILED notices in it. I monkeyed with it for a while- merely trying to see what failed, no joy. That iso is holding up my coffeecup (actually tea) at this moment. That's why I'm using Puppy and not something else.

Unless it is vitally needed, first impressions with software usually determine whether you get a chance at second impressions.

The other thing is the tone some folks took at the question. I need to tell a (true) story for this one:

Way back when, a woman always made the most scrumptious roast. Her daughters learned the method and passed it on to their daughters. One holiday Granny came to visit and watched one of her granddaughters making the roast.
She asked 'Why are you cutting the ends off the roast?"
The granddaughter replied "That's the way Mom said you always did it... "
Granny said "Yes I did; but my pan was too small."