HowTo: Extract files from a .ISO under Windows

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
paulh177

HowTo: Extract files from a .ISO under Windows

#1 Post by paulh177 »

This might prove useful to someone ...
Lin'n'Win users are likely to want to extract files from an ISO while running under Windows.
I've done this in the past by burning the ISO to CD and then copying the files from CD to HD.
You can use something like MagicISO but this has to be purchased.
Alternatively you can use 7-zip to extract files from (but not update files to) an ISO directly.
You can also download IsoBuster which looks like it costs money but is in fact free (the free version is slightly more limited in functionality than the paid-for version but is quite enough for most people's needs)
That's it.

paul

Edited to reflect correct status of IsoBuster
Last edited by paulh177 on Thu 21 Aug 2008, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

TugZip can also extract .iso files. It works well under Windows 98 and I presume under XP/Vista as well. I'm still using 3.4.0.0, never had a problem with it.

One thing to be careful of is, an .iso extractor under Windows may give the extracted files all-uppercase names. For grub, or for isolinux or syslinux on a USB stick, vmlinuz and initrd.gz need to have the filenames be lowercase, so you need to go in with Rox and manually rename them in two steps, from VMLINUZ to VMLINUZx to vmlinuz. Not sure whether pup_nnn.sfs and the rest need to be lowercase or not.
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 02 Aug 2008, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

paulh177

#3 Post by paulh177 »

Thats useful info too so thanks.I was aware of the need to preserve case.
i hadn't run foul of the case problem with 7-zip, although I did when dragging them off a burnt CD the other day -- whatever I did I couldn't stop Puppy copying PUP_404.SFS as uppercase, and my Lin'n'Win frugal couldn't see it like that. but all the other files copied lcase. Couldn't rename it as lcase either. Strange.

vg1

#4 Post by vg1 »

... or extract from .iso using winrar

reborn

#5 Post by reborn »

Couldn't rename it as lcase either. Strange.
It's possible it still has its 'read only' attribute set - from transferring it from the cd.

The only other reasons I can think of are 1) a corrupted file or 2) It's in use.

Hope this helps

Reborn

code_m

#6 Post by code_m »

vg1 wrote:... or extract from .iso using winrar
Winrar and Winzip... both nice, but not free.

Pretty much any Zip tool will do. (as long as it supports ISO files of course)

And once you find a Zip tool you do like, and is not buggy, there's not a need to ever get another one or even update it. They all do the same thing and you'll be hard pressed to find one that's better than another.

ICPUG

#7 Post by ICPUG »

Just to correct something in the first post.

Isobuster does NOT have to be purchased. It has a free to use capability which is sufficient to extract files from the ISO.

I would not have recommended it otherwise!

That is not to say the alternatives quoted here are not just as good.

One thing I like about Isobuster is I can verify the ISO md5 and extract the files all in one go.

If you use a zip tool then you have to check the md5 separately. I know people don't bother to check the md5 - but to do so saves a lot of hassle on those albeit rare occasions when a download has got corrupted.

ICPUG

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

The isobuster web site isn't very clear about the free use capability.
I didn't find that, only the price of 29,95$
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

codePhantom

#9 Post by codePhantom »

WinRAR is technically free in some twisted way. A seriously long time ago I downloaded the trial and to this day it functions perfectly with no apparent limitations. All though it does is tell me I'm using a trial everytime I start it.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#10 Post by Béèm »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:TugZip can also extract .iso files. It works well under Windows 98 and I presume under XP/Vista as well. I'm still using 3.4.0.0, never had a problem with it.

One thing to be careful of is, an .iso extractor under Windows may give the extracted files all-uppercase names. For grub, or for isolinux or syslinux on a USB stick, vmlinuz and initrd.gz need to have the filenames be lowercase, so you need to go in with Rox and manually rename them in two steps, from VMLINUZ to VMLINUZx to vmlinuz. Not sure whether pup_nnn.sfs and the rest need to be lowercase or not.
Tug a nice little fella.
Thanks
Time savers:

JaDy

#11 Post by JaDy »

ALZip can extract ISO files. www.altools.net

To rename for lowercase in Windows, first rename with an additional word e.g. temp.PUP_404.SFS and then rename as desired. Windows doesn't diferentiate upper/lower case during rename.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

ICPUG

#12 Post by ICPUG »

Béèm

http://www.isobuster.com/license-models.php

shows that the free version of Isobuster exists.

I think the confusion is caused by the fact you download the same file whatever version you want. If you want the non-free capabilities then you purchase something to unlock these capabilities in the file you have already downloaded.

ICPUG

Béèm

#13 Post by Béèm »

ICPUG
It would have been clearer if the buynow page also referenced the free version. I didn't think of clicking one of the links for the to be paid products. Probably to hide somewhat this fact.
Thanks for the direct link.
Time savers:

paulh177

#14 Post by paulh177 »

Like Béèm I could not find a reference to a free version for IsoBuster, so with the new information from ICPUG I have updated my original post

paul

gyro

#15 Post by gyro »

Thanks folks.
Just tried "7-Zip" on the Puppy 4.1.1.iso, worked like a charm, no sign of the all capitals problem I get when copying from an actual CD.
I'd never thought of using "7-Zip" for .iso files. I used to use "Virtual CloneDrive". But since I use "7-Zip" for all my other archive requirements, I might as well use it for ".iso" files as well, and uninstall "Virtual CloneDrive". One less utility on my hard drive.

gyro