Puppy Linux community repo is active on sourceforge

News, happenings
cb88

Puppy Linux community repo is active on sourceforge

#1 Post by cb88 »

If you want access post here or pm me I will add people that i have seen to be active in the puppylinux community like tempestuous whodoo Dougal raffy etc... also i will add anyone that is recommended

the following users have access now :-)
raffy = raffymn
Edit:
ttuuxxx = ttuuxxx
whodo = ...
lobster = crustylobster
Edit:
mysticmarks = ...

This is mainly for stuff like puppyscripts grafburn pfind etc... at the moment but may eventually and hopefully contain scripts to build puppy completely and automatically using either T2 or slackware as a base. This is not for uploading binary packages only source.

thoughts/comments welcome since that is kinda the whole point of this post.

also my internet connectivity is limited for this week next week back to normal

Edit: you must be registered on sourceforge.net first then pm me your unix name

cb88
Last edited by cb88 on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 22:21, edited 3 times in total.
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

Hi Chase,

Hey...this sounds very interesting..WELL DONE.
EDIT:
I am posting the link..I hope this is ok..
http://sourceforge.net/projects/puppylinux

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

raffy

thanks

#3 Post by raffy »

Thanks, Chase.

Maybe I've become a member of the group because I already have an account at sourceforge and I visited the URL earlier.

I wonder if simply having a sourceforge account will enable one to join. Do people have to first PM you with their sourceforge username?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

cb88

#4 Post by cb88 »

yes at the moment you have to pm me your unix username for sourceforge
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

brymway

#5 Post by brymway »

I'm getting an error using that link. Invalid project.

cb88

#6 Post by cb88 »

works for me... not sure what the problem is on your side?

paulh177

#7 Post by paulh177 »

this is a great idea, and I'm slightly amazed that no-one in the Puppy community thought of it before ... a single, secure public repository of source code for non-BK stuff that's currently lying about in dozens (?hundreds) of forum posts and various servers worldwide would be wonderful.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

Somewhere in the archives is the story of how Puppy (from the start) was going to be hosted on Sourceforge.
. . . only they did not think it was opensource or even Linux come to that . . . .
So they refused to host Puppy. Who remembers the story?
. . . we got there eventually. Thanks guys :)

We are Puppy. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

Yeah, I was the one who originally applied to sourceforge. What happened was someone from sourceforge replied asking for more details about the uniqueness of Puppy, but I didnt read my emails until about 2 days after that email and in the meantime someone else from sourceforge sent a very short email that as I had not responded to their query that were rejecting my application.
Anyway, I sent in a more detailed explanation, but it was ignored.

So that's great, as you now have sourceforge as a repo, that means perhaps I'll just keep my own ibiblio.org account for my planned future puplet. Ibiblio do mirror sourceforge, so you will be getting hosting with them anyway.

Note, I do have Puppy listed at freshmeat. I think they can also do hosting, but I never followed up on that.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

cb88

#10 Post by cb88 »

I was very specific that this repo was for the "puppy build system" and other puppy scripts which is exactly what it is ... :-) they also asked some pretty specific questions which i will upload my answers to when i get a chance

also I am having trouble using SVN I have never set one up myself but have checked out of them many times... which is pretty easy would somebody mind explaining how to get this going I mean im sure i can figure it out eventually but help is apreciated

another thing i and the other people so far should be able to log in to the command shell for the repo (this is where i was attempting to add some directories to the SVN as a proof of concept you just login to it with ssh or putty on windows/wine)

the directory structure i propose is this /puppylinux/pupapps/majorversion/minorversion

like this /puppylinux/pupapps/3/1 whould be an app that works perfectly on puppylinux 3.1

the reson for that is because due to version changes in apps like gtkdialog some apps break :-(

mysticmarks

#11 Post by mysticmarks »

im registered on sourceforge.

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

So.... what is it? What's it do? Why do we need it? How will we use it?

Would I be right in thinking it can support multiple projects, so that I could (for example) have a section in the svn for Pebble, with download links for the various versions and nightlies, and BruceB could have one for an especially ram-oriented Puppy?

Is this something we'd also want to use for storing the unleashed tree? Or would that be too massive (think 500 MB to start, and more as files get modified into newer versions)). Maybe just for particular packages that require substantial Puppy-mods (0rootfs_skeleton in particular, but also all those p* packages and maybe rox)?

How much overall space do we get? What about per project? How many projects can it handle? Or is it a "just don't do anything excessive, and we won't give you hard limits" type deal? Prove your worth and you get as much as you need?

Sorry for all the questions. I've never used Sourceforge before (other than downloading stuff), or even SVN at all (though SVN has been on my to-do list, as I suspect it will make my life much easier if I want to make a very large project on my own or collaborate on anything but a minor project).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

raffy

structure

#13 Post by raffy »

There is an introduction page here:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/metadoc/sourceforge-guide.html

The essential content should be sources, and binaries/build trees should be extra.

I guess the problem at the moment is coming up with a simple but functional structure for the project repository. Pizzasgood's ideas about this will be a big help as he has a good understanding of Puppy's core.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Aitch

#14 Post by Aitch »

BarryK wrote:Note, I do have Puppy listed at freshmeat. I think they can also do hosting, but I never followed up on that.
Funny that, I just found that & posted a link to it, the other day, though it seriously needs updating, over a year ago last done

http://freshmeat.net/projects/puppylinux/

Also listed is Eric Veenstra's Qemu, also over a year since updated

http://freshmeat.net/projects/qemupuppy/

Could these projects be tandem'd somehow?

It would be good to see other puppy official versions, derivatives, and a timeline, in the freshmeat site

What say, additional admins maybe, Barry?

Aitch :D

Pizzasgood

#15 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay then. I downloaded and installed the latest SVN on my machine last night so I could play around with it. Meant to do this sooner, but I had some other things I needed to take care of first. Anyways, SVN is a little different from what I'm used to, but I think that if used properly it will be very useful.

The problem is that what we need most is a revision control system that can contain the entire unleashed tree. As I understand it, this is beyond what SF is willing to let us do.
http://alexandria.wiki.sourceforge.net/ ... ew+Project
Distributions: software and Operating System distributions will generally not be accepted for hosting on SourceForge.net. These project types duplicate content that is available elsewhere and use massive amounts of resources. We will host them if an alternate host can be found for the project content (SourceForge.net services can be used for bug tracking, mailing lists, web site, etc.; File releases should be hosted elsewhere).
Frankly, I don't blame them. We're talking about 700 MB just to start, and it will only grow from there. No I'm not kidding, the extracted unleashed tree has over 600 MB worth of packages, and 50-70 MB worth of drivers, firmware, and other kernel-related stuff.

My firm belief is that we need a server where we can run SVN or GIT or some other system, with the entire unleashed tree (but split in two - the packages would not be inside the unleashed-core area, or checking out unleashed-core would be a pain). This way everything is together. We can fix bugs, branch a package and do major changes and merge it back in, branch off the entire tree to make a custom version, etc. When we're ready for a release, we'd tag that revision as version X.X, and then just continue on our merry way, fixing bugs. If people want the bug fixes they can grab them from SVN fairly easily (we'd want to have it world-readable, just not world-writable). Otherwise they can wait until the next version, or possibly a revised edition. In fact, I imagine it wouldn't be hard to grab just the changes, put them into a .pet or .pup, and upload it as a service package.

Anyways, I just don't think SF is going to cut it for us, in this respect. What I do think SF will be good for is for those packages that have not yet been accepted into the official Puppy tree. (Which I think is what cb88 was thinking.) Things like Pebble, if I wished to put that online (I don't ATM, but if I ever take it to version 2.0 I probably will). That way group projects could work more easily, people can check eachother's code, etc. If a project is eventually accepted into official Puppydom, it could simply be dumped out of SF's SVN and imported into the Official Puppy SVN. If I understand things correctly, this should also preserve the package's history from the SF SVN.

I think that would work out pretty well. It would help keep the official repo clean, while giving the in-development stuff a place to be worked on. For the people actually developing it, the transition would just mean adjusting some of the paths they use. Nothing major.

So, if I understand things right, we need to start figuring out where to put this official Puppy revision-control-server. We also need to weigh the pros and cons and decide what revision-control-software to use. So far SVN looks pretty good, but that's the only one I know anything about. I know that the Kernel is done with GIT. What benifits does GIT have over SVN? These are things we need to look into. I would go do that now, but I have other stuff I need to do. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow I'll see what GIT is all about.

We're also going to need to work out who will have access, who will decide who has access, etc. That is the part that will become hairy. :lol:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

WhoDo

#16 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:So, if I understand things right, we need to start figuring out where to put this official Puppy revision-control-server.
We have two options here:

1. puppyweb.org which has a load of free space but problems with intrusions and maintenance.

2. puppylinux.org which has 750Gb of space just to maintain the web site and the wiki.

Is there a way we can make use of puppylinux.org for hosting Unleashed and SVN/GIT for maintenance? I can't imagine it would create huge bandwidth problems for the web site, especially if we maintain the core and packages separately. What do you guys think?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Caneri

#17 Post by Caneri »

Hi Warren,

I may be able to offer a spot soon. I will need to discuss this with a new provider but this should be a low bandwidth situation but lots of storage space will be needed.

Storage is cheap so it may work when/if the provider agrees.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

As far as just development goes, I doubt it would use a significant amount of bandwidth by today's standards, unless we get a bunch of people who all decided to checkout the entire tree at the same time.

Once a person's local copy is set up, all further transfers are done using a .delta/.diff type deal, to minimize bandwidth use.

So the way I see it, people who only plan to do a little here and there would just check out the portion they need for whatever it is they're working on. People who want to work on a lot and keep a fully up-to-date copy for testing would need the full tree, but once they have it they wouldn't need much bandwidth from there out to keep it up-to-date. It would also prevent them from having to wait to download whichever package they plan to work on in it's entirety. They'd just run svn update (or equivalent) to grab the latest updates, and start working.

We could possibly configure it to only allow registered users to checkout the whole tree, but let anonymous people grab individual packages or files. That way people can still get bleeding-edge stuff if they want it. The registered users could probably be divided up and given different bandwidth quotas or something too, so that anybody can sign up and then grab the full tree, but only once per week/month (they could update as much as they want). The developers would have unlimited bandwidth just in case they trash their computer and need to checkout a new copy or whatever. This is all theoretical though. I have no idea if either Git or SVN let you configure things this way.

I was reading up on Git earlier tonight. I get the impression that it's more powerful than SVN. I also read several places that said it has much better branching and merging support, but those comparisons were based on SVN 1.3. SVN 1.5, the current version, has supposedly improved this greatly, so I don't know what the current comparison would be.

Some of Git's syntax looked cleaner than SVN. Also, they use a much more efficient compression algorithm. According to what I read, SVN took 30 times as much space to store Mozilla's repo as Git did.
http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSvnComparsion

Some aspects seem like they might be more complicated though. Mainly I'm thinking of the whole "distributed" aspect. But I don't know enough of how that works out in practice to make an intelligent comment. It seems like it's oriented towards a single person maintaining an "official" version of the repo on his own machine/server, and "manually" merging in the branches that other people work on. Whereas SVN is more of a central-server oriented system, with the server holding the official version and commits committing directly to that.

But like I said, I don't really know enough about Git to know how this would work out in practice. Also, I believe it does support an option to run the way SVN does.

One thing that may make us lean toward SVN would be maintaining consistency between the official repo and the sourceforge experimental repo which would be using SVN. Using SVN for that and Git for the official one could cause some confusion when people switch between them.

In the end, either will do the job. It's just a matter of which will be easier and more efficient.

And it's not like we need to choose now. I'm just regurgitating my thoughts. My thinking is we should start considering this stuff sooner than later, so that people have time to research and find out which system they prefer, what file structure they think will accomplish the job best, etc. Download them and try them out, see how they feel. Then when the time does come to chose, people will be prepared to make an intelligent decision rather than a spur-of-the-moment one.

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

Oh, yes. Another thing I forgot earlier is that from what I understand, Cubans aren't allowed to develop using SourceForge due to my nation's idiotic laws. Therefor, having the server in a non-US location would probably be a good thing. Less stupidity to deal with. I think this would also help with things like audio codecs?

I believe Canada doesn't mess around with this embargo jazz?

Where is puppylinux.org at? Do they play follow-the-leader?

EDIT: According to whois, puppylinux.org is in Texas.

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Where is puppylinux.org at? Do they play follow-the-leader?

EDIT: According to whois, puppylinux.org is in Texas.
Yep. Hostgator.com is hosting us at the moment.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com