DVD still hangs

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
volentib

DVD still hangs

#1 Post by volentib »

*** Meant to post this under previous DVD Multi-session post!

No luck. Booted 1.0.6 with CD, used growisofs to make DVD-RW.

At CD boot, I see the copying 'usr_cram.fs' then USB probes. After device 5 probe, say 'also copying vmlinuz, etc, etc.....' and boots.
DVD still hangs at USB probe - no 'cpying usr_cram.fs' text. Will sit there indefinitely (recognizes removal/insertion of devices though...)

Tried also using Nero under Winodws, burniso2cd script, and GraveMan/TkDVD burners. Nothing works...

Got a 5GB microvault - guess I'll format that as FAT16&EXT3 and try it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: DVD still hangs

#2 Post by Flash »

volentib wrote:...DVD still hangs at USB probe - no 'copying usr_cram.fs' text. Will sit there indefinitely (recognizes removal/insertion of devices though...)
Do you mean that while hung at that point it nevertheless recognizes removal/insertion of devices into a USB port? How do you know it recognizes them? What USB devices do you have plugged in while booting? (Brand and model.)

volentib

Re: DVD still hangs

#3 Post by volentib »

Flash wrote:
volentib wrote:...DVD still hangs at USB probe - no 'copying usr_cram.fs' text. Will sit there indefinitely (recognizes removal/insertion of devices though...)
Do you mean that while hung at that point it nevertheless recognizes removal/insertion of devices into a USB port? How do you know it recognizes them? What USB devices do you have plugged in while booting? (Brand and model.)
Everything attached! Targus 4-port hub, Linksys BT adapter, Dell wireless mouse/keyboard, 512MB USB drive, Sony 5GB MicroVault. I've tried booting w/o anything plugged except the mouse - nothing helps.

It still spits out notices about removal/insertion, but will not get past that point. I'm stumped - as I said it works fine from CD (except it craps out trying to write my changes at power down...).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I'm puzzled. How can the OS spit out notices when it's hung in the boot process? You're talking about the black boot info screen with plain white text that comes while Puppy boots, before the desktop shows up?

#5 Post by Guest »

Flash wrote:I'm puzzled. How can the OS spit out notices when it's hung in the boot process? You're talking about the black boot info screen with plain white text that comes while Puppy boots, before the desktop shows up?
Yep. Watch your disc boot up and you'll see the loading... statements in red, then (on my bootable CD) it goes back to black/white and starts the hub.c/usb.c statements then hangs.

Think maybe it has to do with the modified multi-session rc boot script - why else would the CD boot flawlessly?

I'm open to suggestions here! LOL

I'm adding the ISO to my multiboot DOS/Linux/WinPE/BartPE DVD. Will try to isolinux it from there - can't hurt to play with it. Guess I'll stick with INSERT Linux, if I can't get it to work reliably.

Ted Dog

Size check on iso.

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

I saw that one mirror site have 10M's less on multisession version of 106 vers. normal version of 106. So naturally, I did not use that site to download. My first attempt on some cheap HP red DVDs was worthless could never save back, and I am the 'expert' on DVD burning. 8)
My tried and true orange-gold maxwell 8x DVD-R worked perfectly.

You must be a geek -- if you walk out of Wal-mart with only a cat 5 cable and the new Star Wars III DVD. :wink:

That is what the casher said, jokingly.

Re: Size check on iso.

#7 Post by Guest »

Ted Dog wrote:I saw that one mirror site have 10M's less on multisession version of 106 vers. normal version of 106. So naturally, I did not use that site to download. My first attempt on some cheap HP red DVDs was worthless could never save back, and I am the 'expert' on DVD burning. 8)
My tried and true orange-gold maxwell 8x DVD-R worked perfectly.

You must be a geek -- if you walk out of Wal-mart with only a cat 5 cable and the new Star Wars III DVD. :wink:

That is what the casher said, jokingly.
I hear ya - or Buns of Steel, a 6-pack of Vaseline, and a spatula LOL

Gonna try some ideas here. Check this out;
- I tried a DVD+R - it booted okay.
- Crapped out on saving session on first reboot.
- Got pissed, rebooted, changed desktop layout, rebooted/saved session and then it was good.
- Only thing I did diff was say that I had a pup001 file on NT partititon. Steady disk access light while DVD session was saving, but no access time change on pup001 file from weeks ago.

-- Gonna try the DVD+RW (diff brand) again, and tell it I'm upgrading. Maybe it'll work that way. Still haven't tried my latest thumb drive install...
I am writing this from the MS DVD+R though - progress is being made.

Ted Dog

DVD+WR oh thats it!

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

Latent bug, workaround add a single track using -M so the track count is what Barrys scripts expect, I re-edit mine to get rit of all the checking and prompts. lost all the nice stuff he put in but will work with just about any DVD type.
Four flavors of DVDs report differently. My red worthless HP DVD-R which some how forces its session closed, only good for a single burn. 2) DVD+R which I find burns and loads fastest but limited to only 150 sessions (I never reached that yet) 3) most DVD-R vary greatly some almost as fast as DVD+R most just matchs its burn rate, very many sessions are possible. 4a) DVD+WR , clean new unformated *needs latent bug fix once* good after that. 4b) DVD+WR formated acts the best. If you are wishing to check which would work best try my DeVilDog.iso (the orginal DVD only multisession) it does no checking or deleting and is based on the last version.

'buns of steel??' I said geek not freak, g'freak. I am still trying to figure out the spatula angle. This Dog has lead a shealtered life. Do not answer! It might corrupt young pizzasgood.

:oops:

volentib

Re: DVD+WR oh thats it!

#9 Post by volentib »

Ted Dog wrote:Latent bug, workaround add a single track using -M so the track count is what Barrys scripts expect, I re-edit mine to get rit of all the checking and prompts. lost all the nice stuff he put in but will work with just about any DVD type.
Four flavors of DVDs report differently. My red worthless HP DVD-R which some how forces its session closed, only good for a single burn. 2) DVD+R which I find burns and loads fastest but limited to only 150 sessions (I never reached that yet) 3) most DVD-R vary greatly some almost as fast as DVD+R most just matchs its burn rate, very many sessions are possible. 4a) DVD+WR , clean new unformated *needs latent bug fix once* good after that. 4b) DVD+WR formated acts the best. If you are wishing to check which would work best try my DeVilDog.iso (the orginal DVD only multisession) it does no checking or deleting and is based on the last version.

'buns of steel??' I said geek not freak, g'freak. I am still trying to figure out the spatula angle. This Dog has lead a shealtered life. Do not answer! It might corrupt young pizzasgood.

:oops:
Wouldn't wanna corrupt nobody :)P

I'll try that other ISO. Got ~ 8 diff types machines at work - gonna try other discs there and see. Flash boot, too.

I didn't realise +R had so few sessions posssible. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

If I remember right there's a 4GB boundary inherent in isofs (at least in the 2.4 kernel) which messes things up on a multisession DVD, if the last session starts after that boundary. A 150 (or whatever the right number is) limit on sessions doesn't seem like much of a consideration if there are other advantages to using +R or +RW. Remember, you can shut down without saving to the multisession disk.

volentib

#11 Post by volentib »

Flash wrote:If I remember right there's a 4GB boundary inherent in isofs (at least in the 2.4 kernel) which messes things up on a multisession DVD, if the last session starts after that boundary. A 150 (or whatever the right number is) limit on sessions doesn't seem like much of a consideration if there are other advantages to using +R or +RW. Remember, you can shut down without saving to the multisession disk.
Well, good news is that the danged ole USB works flawlessly now! If I'd never started playing with the DVD, I'd be content...:)

volentib

#12 Post by volentib »

Seems a regular full-size Sony DVD+R works fine for me (on this system). Get nothing on a few other PCs (Gateway) I tried it on at work.

Gonna try a diff brand of -/+RW - maybe that's the kicker.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

volentib wrote:Seems a regular full-size Sony DVD+R works fine for me (on this system). Get nothing on a few other PCs (Gateway) I tried it on at work.

Unless whoever administers your computers at work is a complete idiot, he's configured all of them so they can't boot from the CD (or DVD, as the case may be) drive. :lol:

volentib

#14 Post by volentib »

Flash wrote:
volentib wrote:Seems a regular full-size Sony DVD+R works fine for me (on this system). Get nothing on a few other PCs (Gateway) I tried it on at work.

Unless whoever administers your computers at work is a complete idiot, he's configured all of them so they can't boot from the CD (or DVD, as the case may be) drive. :lol:
Nah, I'm not an idiot - I switched the BIOS settings before boot... :)

I've had problems between machines and disc types. My home machine booted a 1.0.5 Puppy CD install, but not USB or DVD. Work machines wouldn't boot dammit.
Once I switched to 0.6 I tried the USB again while working on my MS DVD. Older Gateways at work still crap out, but newer ones boot fine. USB, CD & DVD+R work now on my home machine, but not +RW.

If I can get my 5GB micro drive to go (or a flavor of mini-dvd/+-RW), I'll be set.

I'll post if the USB.c/HUB.c hang problem goes away when I switch brands of mini RW. The Sony mini RWs won't work, but the +Rs do.

Keep up the good work fellas. Y'all run a damned good support forum compared to others I've used. No condescention or crappy attitude - just assistance.