mut2 update - fixes for Dingo 4.1alpha5

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Jesse

mut2 update - fixes for Dingo 4.1alpha5

#1 Post by Jesse »

Hello Puppians,

There are a few reports that mut2 is not working right in the latest dingo 4.1 beta 5.
I've fixed up the obvious problem, the one where if you select 'mut' in Pmount, that pmount goes away and never returns...

Attached is the binary application only tarball - extract mut, copy it over to /usr/sbin/mut, and the source in a seperate tarball.

Adittionally, if you want mut to list drives in Pmount the same as without mut, then edit /usr/sbin/pmount (text editor) and change line 56:
from this:
PROBEDISK='mut probedisk'
to this:
PROBEDISK='mut probedisk2'

Let us know if theres still any issues with mut2! - post replys here or pm/email me.

Regards, Jesse
Last edited by Jesse on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

Hi Jesse,

Well that seems to have fixed the disappearing pmount after ticking the mut check box....this works well..thanks.

Swap partitions are still not shown here.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Jesse

#3 Post by Jesse »

Caneri wrote:Well that seems to have fixed the disappearing pmount after ticking the mut check box....this works well..thanks.

Swap partitions are still not shown here.
Coolies, I'm glad that it fixed for you.

The Pmount is a seperate entity to mut, and it doesn't seem to do swap partitions.
There is a mut2 gui which lets you un-swap, but to use it on Dingo you need to install the tcl/tk environment, which I understand is a few megabytes (maybe 8-10??).

For swaping of a partition, there is always the command line swapon and swapoff commands that work in a pinch. Command line "cat /proc/swaps" lets you see what is being used.

Jesse

Caneri

#4 Post by Caneri »

Thanks Jesse,

Seeing the swap is not important as the console works nicely.

I just got used to seeing swaps in the older mut and kinda liked it.

Thanks again,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Well, I could add managing swap partitions to Pmount, will write that into the to-do-list.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Jesse,
A major problem! I now get nothing when I run 'mut probedisk2', 'mut probedisk' or 'mut probepart'.

The reason, probably, is because of the latest "IDE kernel" I'm running. See my blog, http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00268

On my laptop now, my hard drive is /dev/hda, my DVD drive is /dev/hdb and my own probedisk2 gives:

/dev/hda|drive|WDC WD600UE-22KVT0
/dev/hdb|optical|PHILIPS DVD-RAM SDVD8821

I had to fix my 'probedisk2' and 'probepart' scripts to work with both the PATA and older IDE devnode naming.
Basically, the old devnodes exist if /proc/ide exists, otherwise it is the new PATA-only kernel.

Jesse

#7 Post by Jesse »

Hi Barry,

Hey no worries, its probably just a typo in the source code somewhere, I'll fix it up when I can download the Puppy 4.1alpha5-with-IDE-kernel, presumably it'll be findable in the regular place test/puppy-4.1alpha5, I guess I must just be early, I'll check back later.

Regards, Jesse

Jesse

#8 Post by Jesse »

Hi Barry,

Updates to make it work for the new IDE kernel.

Regards Jesse

Jesse

#9 Post by Jesse »

Hello,

Here is another update. There was an annoying bug lurking in there and I have remedied the situation.

The bug - possibly not reporting drive info on first execution.
The remedy: rather complex. but simply put, a combination of, always waiting for the hardware to be scanned, if the kernel/hardware is unable to report data from the hardware in tha the first io operation does not return for ages (131 seconds here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29566 ) then in this sort of case mut decides that it can skip over waiting for that drive to complete its scan.
The rule inside mut is that there is a full second that we can wait for the first read operation for any given drive to succeed, usually the root partition table sector (512 bytes), or a drive ioctl.

I've also added a --formats command to mutclient so that you can know all the names of the parameters that it outputs.

Regards
Jesse
Attachments
mut2-binary-1.3.2.1238.tar.gz
mut2 Binary only
(60.34 KiB) Downloaded 563 times

Sit Heel Speak

#10 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Hi Jesse,

Getting there...however...

It is showing two floppy drives, where in fact I have only one.

Swap partitions, not shown in recent editions of PMount, would be nice.

Automatic maximize-y (like the drop-down menu offers) would be nice, in the event one has as many partitions as I do.

Note: this is in 4.1-alpha-5 original (all sd*, not the IDE version).

Regardless of whether hd*+sd* or just sd* is the convention, PMount "should" sort hda hdb sda sdb et cetera correctly.

Jesse

#11 Post by Jesse »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:It is showing two floppy drives, where in fact I have only one.
Hi Sit Heel Speak,
Gosh yes you're right. One of them is coming from Pmount, the other is from Mut. I'm having a look at the PMount script and it seems that isn't coded for, but I'm a bit confused over how to fix it (I need more bash scripting experience).
Sit Heel Speak wrote:Swap partitions, not shown in recent editions of PMount, would be nice.
I tend to agree on this one, mut and probepart list swap partitions as well as all the others, so its my guess that it can be done with just a few tweaks to Pmount.

Actually, I like all the ideas you suggested. But I need more bash scripting experience, and I'm yet to discover how Pmount makes its GUI run... My attempts so far have not resulted in something coherent.
I'll spend some more time on this over the weekend, hopefully I'll get lucky.
Jesse

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

It looks like I need to fix pmount. Um, my memory of this right now is not very clear, but I don't think my probedisk and probepart return floppy drive info -- hmm, need to rethink that. So, it is done in pmount.
But, I need to fix pmount to recognise that mut has returned floppy info.

I've made a note in my to-do list!

Jesse

#13 Post by Jesse »

BarryK wrote:It looks like I need to fix pmount. Um, my memory of this right now is not very clear, but I don't think my probedisk and probepart return floppy drive info -- hmm, need to rethink that. So, it is done in pmount.
But, I need to fix pmount to recognise that mut has returned floppy info.

I've made a note in my to-do list!
Hi Barry & co,

I've figured out how Pmount does the floppy, and I've applied the minimal changes (to Pmount) that gets it working (no duplication or loss) with mut2 and with default engine.
My changes are on the Puppy 4.1beta (408) version of PMount.

Best Regards
Jesse
Attachments
jesses_update_pmount.tar.gz
correct file for pmount update (initially uploaded unchanged one, oooops)
(5.92 KiB) Downloaded 573 times