x11vnc server and tightvnc viewer packages for Dingo

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
kirk

x11vnc server and tightvnc viewer packages for Dingo

#1 Post by kirk »

Here's a couple of pet packages compiled in Puppy 4 Dingo.

X11vnc is a remote desktop server which allows one to view remotely and interact with real X displays (i.e. a display corresponding to a physical monitor, keyboard, and mouse) with any VNC viewer. In this way it plays the role for Unix/X11 that WinVNC plays for Windows.

http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/

Tightvnc viewer is used for connecting to a computer running a vncserver so that you can control it remotely.

http://www.tightvnc.com/

Tightvnc also makes packages for Windows (2000/XP) so you could control a computer running Puppy from Windows or vise versa. The Tightvnc viewer pet package also includes libXp.so.6.2.0 which is part of Xorg.

I have a computer attached to my TV that I use for watching youtube and hulu videos. So with x11vnc I can use my laptop as a big remote control. :lol:

After installing the package and restarting JWM, you should find them under Menu - Network. Click the Help button in the x11vnc-gui for more information.
Attachments
tightvnc_viewer-1.3.9.pet
(51.16 KiB) Downloaded 11901 times

kirk

#2 Post by kirk »

Also, x11vnc was compiled with the -DSMALL_FOOTPRINT=2 config option. Which makes the binary smaller, but gets rid of the help file. So if you need to know the command line options, you'll need to go to x11vnc's home page.

Just to be clear, x11vnc server differs from other vnc servers in that it shows display number 0. That's the display you normally use. So if your looking at the computer running x11vnc server and someone else is connected with a vnc viewer you'll both be looking at the same thing. You can both fight over the mouse :)

If you want to have a different desktop for the users connecting with a vnc viewer, then you probably want tightvnc server:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1144

erikson

#3 Post by erikson »

For info:

Reportedly this x11vnc server pet also works on Puppy 3.01
cfr http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 566#201566
[size=84][i]If it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/i] --- erikson
hp/compaq nx9030 (1.6GHz/480MB/37.2GB), ADSL, Linksys wireless router
[url]http://www.desonville.net/[/url]
Puppy page: [url]http://www.desonville.net/en/joere.puppy.htm[/url][/size]

ahiemstra

#4 Post by ahiemstra »

I successfully installed and ran it on Puppy v4.00 too.

Is this the latest version of X11VNC for Puppy?

kirk

#5 Post by kirk »

Is this the latest version of X11VNC for Puppy?
This is the pre-release version of x11vnc 0.9.4 from march. Version 0.9.3 is still the last official release.

Nipar101

x11vnc_server-0.9.4B.pet

#6 Post by Nipar101 »

After installing the x11vnc_server-0.9.4B.pet my computer forgot who it was.
The hostname disappeared and when queried comes up with this:

Code: Select all

#hostname
(none)
To get around it I placed the following in "etc/rc.d/rc.local":

hostname -F /etc/hostname &
And it works.

burzek

tightvnc server

#7 Post by burzek »

Hi,

I have used X11vnc server however it behaves very strangely when I use rdesktop.
In a sh file I activate x11vnc server after that it run rdesktop.
When rdesktop session ends, you get back to normal desktop on puppy.
But vncviewer from another machine still shows the rdesktop screen frozen and nothing can be done via vnc.

Is there a tightvnc server for Puppy 4.0 ?
I found one version 1.3.9 that gives lib errors...

Regards,
Burzek

Nipar101

#8 Post by Nipar101 »

have you tried the tightvnc pet package listed in the first message of this thread? It comes with the lib file need to run it.

Just my 2 cents worth

MrArne

#9 Post by MrArne »

Hi,
I have installed the viewer pet in a Puppy 4.1 frugal install on a laptop in order to access an OSX media server on the home LAN. When i start vncviewer from the command line in rxvt the pop up window appears and i write the IP adress that is given to the server. The output in rxvt looks like this:

# vncviewer
Connected to RFB server, using protocol version 3.8
Server did not offer supported security type
# 
I guess that the viewer is default configured to login via password authentication, but the server has authentication disabled (not so wise maybe but anyway...). Is it possible to get the viewer to start either without the password option, or maybe without connecting to any server, so that I can configure it via the GUI? I don't see any applicable option shown in the -help info.

Regards
Ola
Puppy 4.10 Dingo - no sugar added - but maybe a little piece of fat-free...?

vtpup

#10 Post by vtpup »

Use your GUI.

After initial installation. Restart your server to get the X11VNC configuration menu entry in the Network category.

Click on that and set up the server for password entry.

Josef

#11 Post by Josef »

Flawless!

pzaw

#12 Post by pzaw »

Hi,

I run Puppy 4.20

I ran Tighvnc I downloaded with pet but could not connect to puppy with tightvnc from winxp. It timed out all the time without connecting (No password prompt)

then I tried xvnc and got in straight away.

You said...
kirk wrote:
Just to be clear, x11vnc server differs from other vnc servers in that it shows display number 0. That's the display you normally use. So if your looking at the computer running x11vnc server and someone else is connected with a vnc viewer you'll both be looking at the same thing. You can both fight over the mouse :)

If you want to have a different desktop for the users connecting with a vnc viewer, then you probably want tightvnc server:
There seems to be more then the above difference or tightvnc for puppy needs more config. I set the display geometry to 800x600 and even then it did not work.

any reason would be appreciated. X11vnc is working but if I don't ask then I won't learn.

regards
Pzaw

kirk

#13 Post by kirk »

pzaw,

I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you connect to X11vnc from Tightvnc viewer?

stifiling

#14 Post by stifiling »

how would i access two puppy pcs connected to a router...when my puppy pc is on another connection, other then that router?

easily done when i'm on the same network...jus type in the 192 ip address associated with that computer...but not as easy when i'm on a different connection. i know port forwarding has to be set up...but from there, not sure how to forward the right port, on the right computer, or how to set the displays to the right port to forward etc.

hopefully u catch my drift...but stuck in a tight spot. i can easily accomplish this on windows, having a hard time on puppy.

anyone understand my situation and can maybe help me out??

stifiling

#15 Post by stifiling »

i figured it out. the following link helped.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=816925

tunyawat

#16 Post by tunyawat »

Thanks, your x11vnc pet is working great on my puppy farms (10 machines) However, it doesn't work on a remastered CD. Only fresh installation works. Any idea?

paulh177

#17 Post by paulh177 »

be useful to know what you mean by "doesn't work" ... see the link in my signature!

tunyawat

#18 Post by tunyawat »

OK, the x11vnc on the remastered CD won't allow the viewer to connect to the server. Apart from this, everything looks normal so I don't know where to look at.

I tried changing the vnc port to 5900 by using the command "x11vnc -rfbport 5900" but it doesn't solve the problem. It works only when I reinstall the pet package again.

paulh177

#19 Post by paulh177 »

be useful to know what you mean by "won't allow"

.. and so on

tunyawat

#20 Post by tunyawat »

Please, can you leave the space for a helper or the pet's owner to ask me for clarification if they need to?

Thanks