Puppy 215CE Printer Setup? Finally GOT IT!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
hladik

Puppy 215CE Printer Setup? Finally GOT IT!

#1 Post by hladik »

Update: Thanks to Caneri, I found the correct ppd for my printer, but I didn't copy it to the correct directory at first. However, early this morning I re-read the CUPS instructions linked to the 2.15CE 'Viz' start page in SeaMonkey and re-installed CUPS v0.3.pup. I then re-read the popup and
realized I needed to copy the ppd to my /root. Voila, I can print in proper scale. Thanks everyone.

First of all, 215CE is my favorite to date. Sea Monkey does not crash, unlike ALL other versions of Mozilla and Opera in the other Puppy versions and the X server doesn't crash or lock up the 'puter (Compaq 667mghz, 256M RAM, onboard i810 video).
Anyhow, I have my Canon S330 USB printer set up with CUPS. What should be a letter-size print out is somehow reduced to about one-quarter size. How do I get a full-size print-out?

Thanks.
Last edited by hladik on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

gerry

#2 Post by gerry »

I've had this problem when setting up my i965 printer with the Gutenprint BJc8200 driver. The answer was to set the printer configuration to 600 dpi, not leave it at 300 dpi.

Don't ask me why.....

Gerry

craftybytes

#3 Post by craftybytes »

And how does one set this configuration in the Canon driver - if there is only 'one' dpi setting available as standard..?

ANSWER:

You will find the relevant "PPD" file for your Canon printer in Puppy's - '/usr/share/cups/model' - folder and is usually something like 'canonxxxxxxxx.ppd'..

If you open this file up in Puppy's Geany or Leafpad editors and scroll down till you find a section something like:
*OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
*DefaultResolution: 300
*Resolution 300/300 dpi: "<</HWResolution[300 300]>>setpagedevice"
*CloseUI: *Resolution
and change it to read:
*DefaultResolution: 600
*Resolution 600/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
Now if your particular printer can do a higher resolution dpi, then you could even do the following instead:
*DefaultResolution: 1200
*Resolution 600/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
*Resolution 1200/1200 dpi: "<</HWResolution[1200 1200]>>setpagedevice"
Save this file and exit..

I recommend that you then REBOOT Puppy to make sure this file is enabled correctly..

Now in CUPS when you select the printer - you can also select which 'dpi' you want it to print out at..

Hope this helps

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

hladik

Canon S330

#4 Post by hladik »

I don't have a Canon ppd entry in my "usr/share/cups/model" directory. There are some Canon ppd.gz entries in the Gutenprint sub-directory...are those relevant? Thanks for trying to help so far.

Caneri

#5 Post by Caneri »

@hladik,

Hello.

I always start here for printers in Linux.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

craftybytes

#6 Post by craftybytes »

@hladik,
There are some Canon ppd.gz entries in the Gutenprint sub-directory...are those relevant?
I don't use Gutenprint in CUPS - but I would say that probably yes - first though - do a 'backup' copy of that file - then open it up (I think it will be similar in format to the normal .PPD file) - then do the "edit" as per my previous post.

Remember that once you finish the editing and save the file - you will then need to use 'Pupzip' or 'XArchive' archiver prog to convert the saved '.ppd' file back to the required 'ppd.gz' type file..

HTH.

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..