Puppy 1.0.4

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puppy 1.0.4

#1 Post by Lobster »

Barry says
* Puppy version 1.0.3 is in a transition phase, still using GTK 2.2 and an earlier version of XML2. Thus, applications that use these libraries may have to be compiled on Mandrake 9.2. It intended that all of Puppy's GTK2/XML2 applications will be recompiled on Vector 5.0STD by the release of Pup 1.0.4.
Now pardon me for lack of geek evolvement but what advantages does GTK2/XML2 have? Eh - or to put it more simply - what is it?

PS. I am stuck in Vector Linux installing upgrades that may or may not allow me to compile C programs. I may have done that by the time of version 1.0.4
I am gonna open friendly relations with Vector Linux (I did write a long letter to Austrumi on their forum but inadvertently failed to post it). They do not call me claws for brains for nothing . . . [sob] :cry:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Puppy has library files, mostly in /lib and /usr/lib.
Applications use these library files, but they need particular versions.
Puppy cannot spare the space for lots of different versions of the same library.
For example, Pup does have GTK 1.2 and GTK 2.2, two different versions, but a necessary evil. We don't want to take it any further though, by adding GTK 2.4 library.

Some apps won't work on anything less than GTK 2.4, so currently we can't put them in Puppy. I don't know how well it works going the other way...
anyway, we can recompile all GTK2 apps for the exact 2.4 library that will be in Puppy, so there will be no surprise incompatibilities.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Barry
8)

But my question was unclear . . .

what I was really asking is what advantage or what features we can expect or what differences will be noticeable in version 1.0.4 due to this transition?

wscarl

Kernel 2.4.31

#4 Post by wscarl »

Are you going to use kernel 2.4.31 in puppy 1.04

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Regarding what differences you will see in the transition from GTK 2.2 to 2.4, the file dialog boxes look different. Also, have got TEA text editor as a PupGet, which won't work on anything less than GTK 2.4 -- there may be some more apps that have this same restriction that can now become PupGets.

Pup 1.0.4 will have the 2.4.29 kernel. problem is, I couldn't find a NTFS patch for 2.4.30 or 2.4.31, which is required for reliable write-access to NTFS partitions. When new versions of the 2.4 series come out, I have to wait until someone develops an NTFS patch for it.