WIRELESS Driver Packages Available for Puppy 1x

Using applications, configuring, problems

#21 Post by Guest »

Hi,
I used /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant ieth0 -Dipw -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d. I received error message 'failed to read configuration file /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf 'preceded by error messages "failure to parse" from lines 389 to 442.

Thanks

tempestuous

#22 Post by tempestuous »

I think the system is complaining about your configuration file - /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.
This configuration file contains some example settings, which you should modify to suit your own WPA settings.
And you should comment out all other examples (by putting "#" at the start of each line), which obviously will be unsuitable for you.

#23 Post by Guest »

OK, I modified wpa_supplicant.conf. Scanning is done for the AP but it is unable to connect . Also I noticed ioct[IPW_IOCTRL_WPA_SUPPLICANT] invalid argument; and message no keys have been configured.

I am using WPA Personal using TKIP algorithim and a preshared key.

Thanks

tempestuous

#24 Post by tempestuous »

Good try. Sorry to hear it doesn't work.
I just checked the ipw2200 README from the source download, and found this -

"1.1 Overview of Features
802.1x EAP via wpa_supplicant and xsupplicant"

I have never used WPA myself, so I can't offer definite information. Does this mean that the only form of WPA supported is EAP??
Anyway, xsupplicant is here http://open1x.org/
And xsupplicant documentation is here http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_d ... p_id=60236

#25 Post by Guest »

I have a Linksys broadband router. I double checked to see types of WPA supported. Linksys supports WPA with TKIP and AES and didn't see EAP support. I reread the readme from wpa_supplicant. Wpa_supplicant does support TKIP. I used the basic WPA script in the configuration file. I will try a different script with wpa_supplicant that includes TKIP. When I reviewed the WPA script with TKIP before, I wasn't sure which values to include.

Thanks

#26 Post by Guest »

I used the WPA TKIP script but am still obtaining the same error message noted previously. No key is generated and no connection established.

At this point my choices are to change encryption type or wait for more updated drivers.

Thanks

tempestuous

#27 Post by tempestuous »

I have investigated the WPA situation further. I provided version 1.0.1 of the ipw2200 driver, which is not the latest, but the latest for which there is a 2.4 kernel patch available. Looking at the "changes" list at http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net I see this-

"Changes in 1.0.1
Added initial support for WPA (thanks to Yi Zhu) -- tested with wpa_supplicant (either tip w/ ipw driver, or with -Dipw2100) with both CCMP and TKIP"

So WPA support is definitely possible.
I also checked the ipw2200 source Makefile to see that WPA support was enabled in the compilation. It was.

Then I searched for wpa_supplicant configuration details.
At http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26623 there is possibly a significant extra parameter mentioned, "w", this is for wpa_supplicant to wait for an interface to be added. Apparently, wpa_supplicant cannot launch properly if the network interface is not active. So the full command to launch wpa_supplicant would be -
/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -i eth0 -D ipw -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B -w

Now that I think about it, the sensible thing would be to bring up the interface with "ifconfig eth0 up" before launching wpa_supplicant, then "-w" would not be necessary.

And regarding the contents of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, this is possibly what you need -

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
ssid="MY_ESSID"
scan_ssid=1 # (not sure about this)
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP # (not sure about this)
psk="MY_SECRET_PASSPHRASE"
priority=5 # (not sure about this)
}

#28 Post by Guest »

Thanks for the additional info. I will give it a try and post results.

DJ

Marv

Further experience with native Ralink driver

#29 Post by Marv »

I've been shuffling back and forth between my beloved 1.03 pup on CF flash which uses the Ndiswrapped Rt2500 drivers and 1.05 on CD and a 1.05 HD install, both using the native Ralink drivers installed per this thread and the readme files packaged with the driver. The native driver is much faster to load, more stable, and seems faster as well. All in all well worth the minor trouble to switch.

Thanks again..

:P
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

IPW 2200

#30 Post by Guest »

Using your last post, I was able to get IPW 2200 and wpa_supplicant loaded with no error messages. I am able to ping my router but am unable to connect to the wireless network. I am unable to get dhcp to run. I tried to manually enter my IP address etc. but was still unable to connect to the network.

Thanks

tempestuous

#31 Post by tempestuous »

I found some more information about WPA at the ndiswrapper website - http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/medi ... ex.php/WPA which might lead to a solution (?)
Their /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is almost identical to the one I last suggested, so that's a good start. But the interesting point is that the wpa_supplicant utility refers to two other utilities, wpa_passphrase and wpa_cli, and I suspect that these may fail to be located in Puppy because of the same reason mentioned previously - they're in /usr/local/sbin.

A short-term fix might be to copy (or symlink) all 3 utilities to /usr/local/bin

Or an alternative fix might be to list "MY_SECRET_PASSPHRASE" as its true 64 hex digits instead of plain text ASCII phrase, this might mean that wpa_passphrase need never be called.

Also, it's worth adding "-dd" to the end of the launch command so that we can see some information about what's going on. Thus -
/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -i eth0 -D ipw -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B -dd

#32 Post by Guest »

I think my problem may be related to my psk key. My original psk key was all letters. When I entered it in iwconfig I received an error message. I changed to numbers, no error message with iwconfig. I did note however hyphens were added which then was not exactly the same as the key in the router. I added the hyphens to the router but still no go. I saw a posting where someone had a similar problem and entered the passphrase using hex. I will copy the two files /usr/local/bin. I found an on-line calculator to convert my passphrase to 64 hex. Is the convertor Ok to use?

Thanks

#33 Post by Guest »

I think a third-party passphrase calculator would be OK, but why bother. You can use wpa_passphrase itself. Do this -

/usr/sbin/wpa_passphrase <ssid> <passphrase>

This will display your passphrase as hex digits on the commandline.
And I just tried an all-alphabetical passphrase ... it yielded a hex key without a problem.

tempestuous

#34 Post by tempestuous »

That was me in the previous post.
I'm a little concerned about your reference to iwconfig. iwconfig cannot handle any WPA-related settings (although I think iwpriv can?)
The "key" parameter associated with iwconfig is only for a WEP key, not psk key, so don't use this parameter at all.
The psk key is handled by wpa_supplicant in the background.

#35 Post by Guest »

I moved the two wpa files, used the hex password from wpa_passphrase, and did not place key in iwconfig. I also used -dd to run wpa_supplicant with the following results:

Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
Line: 266 - start of a new network block
ssid - hexdump_ascii(len=6):
64 69 61 6e 65 64 dianed
scan_ssid=1 (0x1)
proto: 0x1
key_mgmt: 0x2
pairwise: 0x8
group: 0x8
PSK (ASCII passphrase) - hexdump_ascii(len=10): [REMOVED]
priority=5 (0x5)
PSK (from passphrase) - hexdump(len=32): [REMOVED]
Priority group 5
id=0 ssid='dianed'
Initializing interface (2) 'eth0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
wpa_driver_ipw_init is called
Own MAC address: 00:12:f0:0b:dd:0a
wpa_driver_ipw_set_wpa: enabled=1
wpa_driver_ipw_set_key: alg=none key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_ipw_set_key: alg=none key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_ipw_set_key: alg=none key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_ipw_set_key: alg=none key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
wpa_driver_ipw_set_countermeasures: enabled=0
wpa_driver_ipw_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=1
Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
Daemonize..

Whether I used the Hex or letter passphrase, still unable to connect.

Thanks

tempestuous

#36 Post by tempestuous »

Good try. 2 things to check;
- Make sure your router is set to broadcast its SSID. Hidden SSID's may not work.
- Change a line in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf to "scan_ssid=0", and comment out "priority=5"
Also, I just read somewhere that psk="MY_SECRET_PASSPHRASE" is wrong - the quotation marks should be removed.(?)
But until you get the whole thing working it's probably best to use the hex key, definitely without quotation marks.
The full process should be -

modprobe ipw2200
ifconfig eth0 up
/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -i eth0 -D ipw -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B -dd
#iwconfig eth0 essid MY_ESSID mode managed ## this line should be unnecessary
dhcpcd -t 20 -h puppypc -d eth0

One other thing to try is to add the "wait" option at the end of the wpa_supplicant command -
/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -i eth0 -D ipw -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B -dd -w

Another possibility - in wpa_supplicant.conf, change "eapol_version=1" to "eapol_version=2"

lefty.crupps

wireless with a TrendNet PCMCIA (TEW-421PC)

#37 Post by lefty.crupps »

Hey guys, can I join this party?

I have an older Compaq Armada 1750 p2 laptop that (after removing the drive and doing the install from a more powerful machine) is now running PL1.0.6. It works beautifully well, and I'll be putting it onto the HCL.

My question is with the TrendNet wireless PCMCIA card.
I can get the TrendNet card working and on the internet with dhcp and no encryption (as below), but this machine will evenutally be at my parents' home and will need 128bit hex encryption (is that WEP or WPA?) and possibly a static IP (not sure).

This is what I've done so far (these instructions have been culled from across the web, not sure why it was so hard to get this far):

1. Copied the WinXP drivers off the cd onto desktop (actually just linked them but it worked out after the CD was removed)

2. From the Wireless Wizard I followed their instructions:
$ ndiswrapper -i XXXXX.inf
$ ndiswrapper -l
$ modprobe ndiswrapper

3. This put the card's power light on, so I added those last three lines to my /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local file. Now when I reboot, the power light pops on every time. Yay!

4. Then from a console I ran:
$ modprobe ndiswrapper
$ iwconfig wlan0 essid "XXXX" mode Managed channel 6
$ dhcpcd -t 20 -h puppypc wlan0

5. Now this puppy can get onto my router, so I added those lines to my rc.local file also. But these lines don't seem to work at boot up! I have to run them manually every time.

What can I do to make this work every time (apart from a seperate script that needs to be run manually)? Should I have a wireless script that the rc.local calls to? (like kamranzaidi does in his post on this page
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2621)

Is there anything special that I need to do to get the 128-bit encryption going? I've read about the wpa_supplicant package, is this needed?

Thanks for any help that I can get!

rarsa

Re: wireless with a TrendNet PCMCIA (TEW-421PC)

#38 Post by rarsa »

lefty.crupps wrote:3. This put the card's power light on, so I added those last three lines to my /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local file. Now when I reboot, the power light pops on every time. Yay!
This step is unnecessary. Once you execute the ndiswarpper -i some files are permanently created, and once you do the modprobe it does not go away when you reboot.
lefty.crupps wrote: 4. Then from a console I ran:
$ modprobe ndiswrapper
I also do static IP. Here are the lines I've added to rc.local:
(Of course, make sure that the addresses and parameters correspond to your network values)

Code: Select all

#Set the wireless parameters
iwconfig eth1 essid myessid mode Managed key restricted xxxxxxxxx

#Set the static IP address
ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.98 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up

#To set the correct gateway
route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1
One important thing to notice is that when you do DHCP, your /etc/resolv.conf will be automatically updated. If you do Static IP, you have to set it up manually.

This is if you do DHCP at one location (e.g your office) and then go home and try to do static you may have a problem as your /etc/resolv.conf may be pointing to a DHCP server you don't have access to.

The solution may be to always copy the correct resolv.conf file when doing static.

As 90% of the time I use puppy at home I don't do this automatically, I just keep a backup of my resolv.conf. If I ever connect to other network and get a different resolv.conf by doing DHCP, I will just manually restore the correct one when I get home.

peppyy

#39 Post by peppyy »

Could those configurations be managed in the WAG profiles to simplify things?

I don't have it in front of me since all PupTops are out playing right except #1 and I am still on 1.0.3 on this one.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

lefty_crupps

#40 Post by lefty_crupps »

4. Then from a console I ran:
$ modprobe ndiswrapper
I still can't get this part (#4, above) to work at boot time (when i added those lines to rc.local they don't seem to work).

===
iwconfig eth1 essid myessid mode Managed key restricted xxxxxxxxx
Will this work with my 128bit encryption? Again, not sure what type it is, but the key is about 45 alphanumeric char.s long, way longer than this example.

===
#Set the static IP address
ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.98 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up

#To set the correct gateway
route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1
these are very helpful to know, thanks!

I don't expect that this machine will be switching much from its static IP to a DHCP connection, as it rarely leaves the Out house.

===

Well other than #4 above and the possible encryption issue it looks like i may be on the fasttrack to Pentium2 bliss!

thanks for the help so far. Anyone have any help on my last two issues?