Extras for Puppy 4.1 alpha5

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
tempestuous

Extras for Puppy 4.1 alpha5

#1 Post by tempestuous »

UPDATE Nov 2008:
With the release of Puppy 4.1 final, the drivers in this thread are no longer relevant.
Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1.x are now available here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34159
Some people are still using this older version of Puppy with the 2.6.25.11 kernel because it has multi-processor support, so I will leave all attachments here.
But if you want multi-processor (plus hyperthreading and multicore) support a better option is probably MU's 4.1 remaster with 2.6.27 kernel.

These drivers are for Puppy4.1alpha5 with 2.6.25.11 kernel.
This kernel has completely overhauled wifi drivers, and there are now drivers available for previously unsupported wifi chips -
Intel IPW4965
Marvell Libertas - in USB, Compact Flash card, and Secure Digital card forms.
PrismGT-softmac versions
Broadcom USB versions

The new rtl8180 driver for Realtek PCI/PCMCIA devices fully supports the newer RTL8185L chipsets, and the Belkin F5D7000 v7 PCI and F5D7010 v7 Cardbus devices will be recognised by this driver.

And there is also a new rtl8187 driver for Realtek USB wifi devices.

The hostap_pci and hostap_cs modules now properly support Prism3 SSF chipsets found in the D-Link PCI DWL-520 rev.E1 and Cardbus DWL-650 rev.P.

But the quest for comprehensive hardware support goes on ...
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 22 Nov 2008, 06:04, edited 3 times in total.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

For the ASUS Eee 700-series and 900:
The wifi chipset is an Atheros variant: AR5007EG, which requires a special version of the MADWiFi (ath_pci) driver.
Quite a few other recent notebook computers now use this chipset, too.
This dotpet package contains a suitably modified /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG file so that the new ath_pci module will be used in preference to the ath5k module.
But this madwifi package should ONLY be used with the AR5007EG variant, all "standard" Atheros wifi devices will be supported by the ath_pci module (or ath5k module) already contained in Puppy 4.1.

Some people get "no wireless interface detected" in the Network Wizard after installing this package.
Forum member glassparrot reports that to get this driver installed and working you must first disable the Eee's wifi device in bios, then later re-enable the wifi device after the driver is installed -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 066#208066
I cannot see how or why this method would make any difference ... but if it works, great!

Hotkeys on the Eee should be supported by the attached version of the "asus_acpi" module. I hacked the standard asus_acpi source code by comparing it with the version from the Asus website.

UPDATE: asus_acpi now repackaged to include "acpid" daemon and configuration scripts to enable -
Fn-F2: Toggle Wireless
Fn-F7: Toggle Mute/Unmute
Fn-F8: Decrease Volume Level
Fn-F9: Increase Volume Level
from information obtained here
http://www.array.org/ubuntu/post-instal ... ey_Support
After installing this package, load the module and start the acpi daemon -

Code: Select all

modprobe asus_acpi
acpid
It might also be necessary to do this -

modprobe led-class
It would be a good idea to add these commands to /etc/rc.d/rc.local so hotkeys work at every boot up.

For the Eee's ethernet interface, Barry has provided the "atl2" module in Puppy4.1.
And for the Eee's webcam, Barry has provided the "uvcvideo" module.
Attachments
asus_acpi-071127-k2.6.25.11.pet
for Puppy 4.1
(28.9 KiB) Downloaded 833 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Thu 31 Jul 2008, 04:16, edited 3 times in total.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Still on the subject of the Eee, apparently the more recent 901 and 1000 models have a very recent Ralink RT2860 N-mode wifi chipset. There is a proprietary Linux driver available for this wifi device, "rt2860sta", now attached.
Also attached is the "rt2870sta" driver package for the USB version of this chipset.

Both packages include updates to wag-profiles.sh and networkmodules files so that the new modules can be used in the Network Wizard.

If you want to use manual commands to configure these two drivers, the interface they create is called "ra0" and they use the "wext" -D parameter with wpa_supplicant.

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

The Eee models 901 and 1000 have a different ethernet chipset, too (sigh): Atheros L1E. This chip is also used on the Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, and that's where I obtained the source code for this new driver - "atl1e".
Attachments
atl1e-1.0.0.4-k2.6.25.11.pet
for Puppy 4.1
(19.77 KiB) Downloaded 724 times

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the prism2_usb module for Prism2/2.5/3-based USB wifi devices.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy already contains several webcam drivers such as ibmcam, konicawc, ultracam, vicam, pwc, and the third-party uvcvideo module added recently by Barry.
Puppy4.1alpha5 also includes the quickcam_messenger module, but this supports only one of the many Logitech QuickCam models; device id 046D 08F0.

Attached is the "qcmessenger" driver which supports these QuickCam models:
046D 08DA
046D 08F6
046D 08F5
046D 08F0

Also attached is the "gspca" webcam driver, which supports a broad range of webcams. Full list here:
http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html
Both driver packages include the "MAKEDEV-V4L.sh" script to create V4L device nodes ... but I'm not sure if this is needed. Barry's new udev/pupevent mechanisms may create the necessary device nodes automatically?
Attachments
qc-usb-messenger-1.8-k2.6.25.11.pet
for Puppy 4.1
(76.95 KiB) Downloaded 1351 times

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the "nozomi" driver for certain models of GlobeTrotter GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA wireless modems.
Refer to the compatibility list here http://www.pharscape.org/

This package installs the necessary device nodes; /dev/noz...

After installing this dotpet, load the module

modprobe nozomi
Attachments
nozomi-k2.6.25.11.pet
for Puppy 4.1
(12.88 KiB) Downloaded 650 times

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the latest "acx-mac80211" driver for TexasInstruments ACX1xx based PCI/Cardbus wifi adaptors, from git source.
Unlike the old "acx" module, this new driver supports WPA encryption.
Updated files are included so that this new driver can be used in the Network Wizard. But if you want to use manual commands to configure this driver, it uses the "wext" -D parameter with wpa_supplicant.
The USB version of this driver failed to compile against the 2.6.25.11 kernel.

Update Aug 3 2008: repackaged with modified /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG so that the new acx-mac80211 module will be loaded in preference to the acx module.
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 02 Aug 2008, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

tempestuous,
that's great about the acx now supporting wpa. Note to everyone, 4.1alpha5 has the pre-wpa acx driver.

Also, 4.1alpha5 does have madwifi drivers, but disabled. I used madwifi version 0.9.4, and tempestuous has found a later version.

The Atheros ath5k driver is enabled, but it may not work for you (does it actually work for anybody?!), so to switch back to the madwifi ath_pci driver, run the BootManager (in the system menu) and choose the

"Give preference to one module over another" button.

You will see this:
ath_pci:ath5k

...just edit that, reverse it, so ath_pci will get first preference.

Tempestuous, a bit later when I'm preparing 4.1alpha6, you may have to jog my memory about this thread and which modules should be included in the next Puppy!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

tempestuous

#10 Post by tempestuous »

BarryK wrote:I used madwifi version 0.9.4, and tempestuous has found a later version.
My version is not for all Atheros wifi devices, only for the AR5007EG. I just amended my earlier post with this warning.
BarryK wrote:that's great about the acx now supporting wpa
Yes ... if it works. As always, these cutting edge drivers need testing.

raffy

wifi driver in eee 701

#11 Post by raffy »

Thanks for your hard work, Tempestuous.

The madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3698-k2.6.25.11.pet package in your second post works in the eee 701 (posting from the eee and alpha5 now). No need to go to the BIOS to disable wifi - I just used Xandros to disable it. The wifi interface is labeled ath0 and module is labeled ath_pci.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

nooby

#12 Post by nooby »

Hope I am not derailing this thread if I ask what the plans are for how to
make this latest Puppy more flash stable. It doesn't has to do with Puppy
I know but with the application one chose to include and how they work together.

Is the best solution to only have a small browser and then let the user chose
what to add and then that will allow people to chose if they want FF2 or FF3 or Opera or SeaWeasel or SeaMonkey orIceweasel or what ever name they have.

I fail to find even one puppy that works with youtube. All of them hang after
a few video clips. Only total reboot get them up again. Frugal install.

So if such things could be considered in the latest updates?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

tempestuous

#13 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the "r8101" ethernet driver for the new Realtek RTL8101E and RTL8102E(L) chipsets, as found on the Intel D945GCLF miniITX motherboard.
The source code is from http://www.realtek.com.tw
The (older) source code from Intel failed to compile.
Puppy's r8169 module will try to claim this ethernet device, so this package includes a suitably modified /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG file to use the r8101 module in preference to the r8169.
After installing this package, reboot. Then the r8101 module should automatically appear in the Network Wizard.

Update Aug 3 2008: MODULESCONFIG file was wrong, now fixed.
Attachments
r8101-1.009.00-k2.6.25.11.pet
for Puppy 4.1
(20.14 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Sat 02 Aug 2008, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Nevermore

#14 Post by Nevermore »

after loading module uvc the camera works in my eee701
however is not possible to disable wifi via hotkeys even after loading asus-acpi module and loaded acpid.
in fact /proc/acpi/asus is not created.
I am on dingoplus 4.0...might be an issue related to that..
--
/sbin/Nevermore

tempestuous

#15 Post by tempestuous »

Nevermore wrote:is not possible to disable wifi via hotkeys even after loading asus-acpi module and loaded acpid.
I am on dingoplus 4.0
First, the drivers in this thread are compatible ONLY with the 2.6.25.11 kernel in Puppy 4.1alpha5. That's stated quite clearly at the start of this thread.

Having said this, however, "acpid" is an application, not a driver, so it should work OK in Puppy 4.0 ...
but I must confess that the asus_acpi driver for Puppy 3.x/4.0 (which was compiled by me) is far from perfect. I did a much more careful job of modifying the source code for the 4.1-version of asus_acpi, so I suggest you try the hotkeys under 4.1alpha5. It would be useful for all Eee users to know if the hotkeys work, and also whether it's necessary to load the "led-class" module.

Nevermore

#16 Post by Nevermore »

hello
seems is not necessary to load the led-class..after charging the battery i didn't experience anymore quirky behaviours
--
/sbin/Nevermore

tempestuous

#17 Post by tempestuous »

Forum member frankc reports that the new rt2500pci wifi module does not work with WPA encryption. So until this driver matures the only way to get RT2500 WPA support with the 2.6.25.11 kernel is to revert to the older "enhanced legacy" rt2500 driver, now attached.
After installing this package, reboot. This dotpet package contains a suitably modified /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG file so that the new (well, "old") rt2500 module will be used in preference to the rt2500pci module.
Now to configure your wifi connection with WPA encryption you must use iwpriv commands, as explained here:
"PART 3: WPA encryption with Ralink devices"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 339#159339
The interface created by this driver will be "ra0".
You cannot use wpa_supplicant with this driver, it's completely incompatible.
Last edited by tempestuous on Mon 04 Aug 2008, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#18 Post by tempestuous »

The enhanced legacy rt2570 USB wifi driver will probably be necessary for WPA support, too. The driver it replaces is rt2500usb.
Similar instructions as for the rt2500. The interface created by this driver will be "rausb0"

jakfish

#19 Post by jakfish »

Tempestuous,

Running the 4.1 in an ASUS EEE 900, I can report the following:

1) sound works at last, after running its wizard (earjack as well)

2) successfully loading your asus_acpi pet and then running modprobe asus_acpi gives this:

"FATAL: Error inserting asus_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.25.15/kernel/drivers/acpi/asus_acpi.ko): no such device"

The asus_acpi.ko is in that directory

3) wifi doesn't come up as a choice in the Network Setup. After installing your madwifi pet, in etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG, I see this PREFLIST= 'rt2500usb:irt73usb ath5k:ath-pci'

So it looks as if the substitution is happening.

Don't know if this helps,
Jake

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

Just a little clarification to everybody -- all drivers posted above are for Puppy 4.1alpha5only. 4.1alpha6 (and the final) uses the 2.6.25.15 kernel so the above drivers will not work.

However, most of the above (but not all) have been included in alpha6.

You can easily find out for yourself. When you run alpha6, open a terminal and type:

# modinfo r8101

...for example, to see if the r8101.ko driver is present.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]