Pupeee wireless on assus eee 4g

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gingerman

Pupeee wireless on assus eee 4g

#1 Post by gingerman »

I've tried a few Puppy distros: Dingo, Pupeee, and a fully loaded version, whose name I've forgotten. Partly from frustration.

I love my Asus, and probably should have bought it with Linux, but didn't.

I'd like to stick with Pupeee because of the light footprint.

I can't get it to connect to my wireless network. On my Toshiba laptop, it hooks right up, but not on the Asus.

There seems to be some unusual wireless card in the Asus, which I figgered Pupeee would have, since it's written for this computer.

I don't know much about Linux. I've googled, I've searched fora, and I've talked to Asus customer support. I've gotten no where.

Does anyone have any help?

raffy

wifi on?

#2 Post by raffy »

In Xandros, the wifi can be turned off using the Fn and Wifi keys. Please check that the wifi is turned on (and if you turn it back on in Xandros, don't turn it off again :) ). There is a blue LED at the front that tells you wifi is on.

Breeezy is also available for the eeePC - this is a 65-MB build for browsing multimedia, PDF and other office files. That site includes tutorial for installing the zip file to SD card and also this readme-at-first-boot.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

gingerman

I'm using xp, unfortunately

#3 Post by gingerman »

I'm using an xp box, thus my great desire to get a working Linux distro.

I don't want to install something that isn't going to work, so I'm trying out Pupeee on a flash drive.

F2 toggles wifi on this too, but I still get the message that the interface isn't active

ronacc

#4 Post by ronacc »

the asus 4g either linux or xp version should work fine with puppy , I have 4 versions running from sd cards . on first boot you do have to configure wireless for your network . as raffy said make sure wireless is on when you shut xp down before you boot puppy . pupeee already has the right driver , with dingo use madwifi .

aarf

#5 Post by aarf »

EeePC 4g xandrosLinux box. Am also having difficulties. In pupeee-b4 (301) on usb flash drive menu>setup>wizard wizard>connect by network interface>ath0>wireless>load>scan>no networks detected. So from there> back>test ath0>no networks then auto DHCP>fails.
Now into menu>network>RutiIT >site survey> scan> something network appears (with Auth open )so try >connect> use dhcp ? Both yes and no give>link status> disconnected.
No joy in puppy4 either. Can you give more info on madwifi, cant find it in the menus. Consol with madwifi fails.
Xandros also fails to connect to the networks it finds.
Last edited by aarf on Wed 16 Jul 2008, 15:37, edited 4 times in total.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

ronacc wrote:pupeee already has the right driver , with dingo use madwifi .
Ah, no. The wifi driver in Pupeee is MADWiFi; the specially patched version compatible with the Asus Eee.
Dingo contains the normal MADWiFi driver, but the patched version is available separately here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 643#153643

gingerman

Wireless Problem

#7 Post by gingerman »

I have an xp eee 4g.
I have pupeee on a usb drive
it boots up with none of the questions about configuration.
the little blue wireless light is on
no wireless interface detected.

In xp, it works automatically and just fine.

Is there some point in the bootup that I can configure the wireless?

The tools in the menu don't seem to work, because they see no wireless interface.

raffy

clicks

#8 Post by raffy »

With the setup - network wizard, the usual click sequence is wifi interface (ath0) - wireless - scan.

You should see the available networks at that point. Select a network and then click on the encryption button (WEP, WPA), supply the key/passphrase and then click on Use this profile - autodhcp.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

gingerman

Re: clicks

#9 Post by gingerman »

raffy wrote:With the setup - network wizard, the usual click sequence is wifi interface (ath0) - wireless - scan.

You should see the available networks at that point. Select a network and then click on the encryption button (WEP, WPA), supply the key/passphrase and then click on Use this profile - autodhcp.
The message I get is that there is no wireless interface available. I assume this to mean that pupeee can't find a wireless driver on my computer. In xp there is no problem. The little blue light that indicates wireless being on is lit up, but pupeee can't find wireless on my computer. It doesn't even get to the point of looking for networks.

aarf

#10 Post by aarf »

menu>setup>wizard wizard>connect by network interface>ath0>wireless>scan>(select new work)> use this profile> auto DHCP. is now giving me access to a new network that appeared but it is so intermittent I am reverting to using my grub booted knoppix5.3.1.DVD.iso on USB with its GPRS/EDGE connect for my internet surfing on EeePC.

aarf

#11 Post by aarf »

so i've moved my desk two meters to the left and now have a 75% wifi signal 24 hrs a day! however it is too far from the power point for the cord to reach so my charge only last for an hour or so (arent you lucky). need a extension cord.

gingerman

Wireless Problem still

#12 Post by gingerman »

aarf wrote:so i've moved my desk two meters to the left and now have a 75% wifi signal 24 hrs a day! however it is too far from the power point for the cord to reach so my charge only last for an hour or so (arent you lucky). need a extension cord.
It's not the network that's not found, it's the hardware inside the eee.
I have no trouble connecting to any network at all in XP, but I can't get any Linux live cd or usb to find the wireless hardware in my computer. It's not just a Pupeee problem, but Dingo, Mandriva, Slax, or any other.

I'm sure this is my ignorance of how to configure the program, probably at the bootup phase. Any suggestion of how to go about it? I know it's supposed to be automatic. The same usb drive or cd on my Toshiba hooks right up, but I get nowhere with the eee.

aarf

Re: Wireless Problem still

#13 Post by aarf »

gingerman wrote:
It's not the network that's not found, it's the hardware inside the eee.
I have no trouble connecting to any network at all in XP, but I can't get any Linux live cd or usb to find the wireless hardware in my computer. It's not just a Pupeee problem, but Dingo, Mandriva, Slax, or any other.

I'm sure this is my ignorance of how to configure the program, probably at the bootup phase. Any suggestion of how to go about it? I know it's supposed to be automatic. The same usb drive or cd on my Toshiba hooks right up, but I get nowhere with the eee.
are you sure you actually have pupeee-b4.iso
post an image of you desktop.

tempestuous

Re: clicks

#14 Post by tempestuous »

gingerman wrote:The message I get is that there is no wireless interface available.
Forum member glassparrot reports that to get the Eee-version of the MADWiFi driver installed and working you must first disable the Eee's wifi device in bios, then later re-enable the wifi device after the driver is installed -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 066#208066

As the contributor of the madwifi-eee driver, I cannot see how or why this method would make any difference ... but if it works, great!

ezeze5000

re-Pupeee wireless

#15 Post by ezeze5000 »

Im running Pupeee on my EeePC wirelessly right now from an SD card and everything works just fine.

The only difference is mine came with XandrOS .

Maybe the windows version uses a different WIFI card.

Just a thought.

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

drbongo

wireless on eeepc

#16 Post by drbongo »

There is no difference between the wireless on the xandros and windows 7inch versions, I have both and have no problem connecting to wireless with puppy on either.

Have a look at Dingolus - which is a remaster of puppy 4 for the asus eeepc, or pupeee b4 - both of these allow you to connect to a wireles lan straight out of the box.

Simply click on the connect icon, then connect to internet through network interface, select the wireless driver, do a scan to select the correct wireless lan, enter you wep key, click connect and then auto dhcp and you should be connected.

good luck.

Nevermore

#17 Post by Nevermore »

Hello
i am running dingoplus on my eeepc4G which come with xandros..
Everything works fine out of the box!
however, in order to connect to my wep wifi, i needed to put an s: before the key otherwise it won't connect.
check if this is the case...
--
/sbin/Nevermore