Solving Wifi encryption problems (WEP/WPA) in Puppy 4

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
astrogreek

#21 Post by astrogreek »

tempestuous wrote:
astrogreek wrote:By device, do you mean my wireless card? It's an Intel PRO Wireless 2200 BG.
Yes, yes. That means that your wifi driver should be the ipw2200.
But there are so many questions still remaining about your circumstances.
This forum thread is, after all, not about wifi connectivity in general. It was created specifically to deal with encryption-related connectivity problems.
We don't know whether you can establish a wifi connection with encryption (WEP/WPA) turned off. This is an important diagnostic step, and if your landlord won't temporarily disable encryption for you to test, you should probably borrow a different wifi router specifically to test with.

In fact, we don't even know whether the ipw2200 module has successfully loaded and created an interface. Encryption may be completely unrelated to your problem.
I suggest you read the Wifi HOWTO here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469
SOLVED! I noticed in my wireless setup in Xubuntu the mention of ascii key; I did some Googling and found that I had to add s: before my key to make it work, like this:
iwconfig [interface] s:mykey (set key as an ASCII string)
I followed the guide from the Wifi HOWTO (which I have done many times in the past without success), with the only difference the addition of the "s:" before my key.

There seems to be no option in the network wizard to select hex or ascii, or any mention anywhere that this might be an issue. No Linux newbie should have to struggle like this to get on the internet.

Dougal

#22 Post by Dougal »

astrogreek wrote:SOLVED! I noticed in my wireless setup in Xubuntu the mention of ascii key; I did some Googling and found that I had to add s: before my key to make it work, like this:
iwconfig [interface] s:mykey (set key as an ASCII string)
I followed the guide from the Wifi HOWTO (which I have done many times in the past without success), with the only difference the addition of the "s:" before my key.

There seems to be no option in the network wizard to select hex or ascii, or any mention anywhere that this might be an issue. No Linux newbie should have to struggle like this to get on the internet.
I recall raising the matter of the "s:" option some time ago, but it was decided it is unnecessary... I think the wizard converts ascii keys to hex, then uses the hex.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

ken_cat

#23 Post by ken_cat »

Dougal wrote: I recall raising the matter of the "s:" option some time ago, but it was decided it is unnecessary... I think the wizard converts ascii keys to hex, then uses the hex.
This would be true from what I have seen. After entering the ascii WPA passphrase(key?) into the Network Wizard, and after connection, I have found the hex version of the key is in the wpa_supplicant.conf file as psk=xxxxxxxxxxxx.

It actually replaced the ascii key that I originally had typed into the wpa_supplicant file.

ken_cat

wlan_tkip

#24 Post by ken_cat »

FYI for anyone searching and reading.

Using ath_pci (D-Link WNA-1330), I had to "modprobe wlan_tkip" before using the commandline scripts to connect to the router.

see here for description: http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-ma ... &section=4

Network Wizard must call this up when using it, and that is how I discovered it was needed when connecting manually (using lsmod before and after using NW).

It seems to be the only encryption module loaded. I don't see any of the others mentioned here on my system.

lilleguard-liste

WPA connection works only 5-10 seconds

#25 Post by lilleguard-liste »

Hey!
Finally I booted up Puppy 3.01 and connected to a WPA encrypted wireless network without any problem.

I've tried connecting to this network with Puppy 4.00 (and the newest 4.1 alpha as well) without success. The closest I've come using dingo, was 5 or 6 seconds internet connection. After each reboot it is possible to do that with the network wizard, but only once. Obviously (beeing a linux newbie) I don't know what is wrong. But I find it very interesting that puppy 3 doesn't have any trouble connecting. I've also tried Linux Mint and xubuntu on this Dell Inspiron 510m, and they connect without any trouble.

If anyone has any interest in exploring this issue furthermore, please let me know, and I will gladly assist.

lilleguard

JPsDad

Lost WEP connectivity with Puppy 4.12 , 3.01 & 2.15ce

#26 Post by JPsDad »

I have been able to use WEP 64 for many months, using versions2.15CE, 3.01, 4.0, 4.11 and 4.12. My computer has IPW2200B/G. When I started having problems with 4.12, I tried my old USB drives with the older versions, and they no longer work. :(
I have used a 10 digit (phone) number as Key which I enter into the router as hex. At times in the past I needed to hyphenate the number when entering it into the network wizard:
1234-5678-90
which it apparently converted to something. :o

I read this thread with only slight understanding. I did the lsmod |grep crypto
and did have 2 with WEP in their name. Any suggestions???

FWIW, WinXP connects automatically, but does not have near the range that I get with Linux.