How to update QEMU-puppy 2.17 to 4.0?

Booting, installing, newbie
confuzzled

How to update QEMU-puppy 2.17 to 4.0?

#1 Post by confuzzled »

Hi, I've been playing with puppy for a little bit now and I stumbled across this site http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/ which allows you to either boot a flash drive version of puppy OR run puppy (in qemu) on a computer that's already on.

The version on the website is for puppy 2.17. I wanted to upgrade it to puppy 4.00 but when I followed the upgrade instructions for the flash drive (copying over the 4 files) I found that I could no longer run the puppy emulation.

Does anyone know how I can upgrade the qemu-puppy?

soulrider4ever

#2 Post by soulrider4ever »

Have you edited the .bat file and renamed the ISO it looks for to the new version?

confuzzled

#3 Post by confuzzled »

There is no bat file. And I don't think that is looks for a .ISO as there isn't one on the flash drive

soulrider4ever

#4 Post by soulrider4ever »

hmm... if your not sold on that, try this http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/PupWinQE.htm

very easy to setup and use, download the latest iso, update the .bat file with the proper iso name and then run the .bat

Of course this will just allow you to run it from within windows... making a usb flash drive bootable should be done via a liveCD then using the universal installer.

confuzzled

#5 Post by confuzzled »

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying. If I use PupWinQE will I have a version of of puppy that can be run inside other operating systems as well as being able to use it to boot? Based on the instructions for a bootable usb stick and the descriptiong of how PupWinQe works, it looks like I would have to have the iso as well as the individual files on the usb stick. At the moment I only need one set of the files.

If Pupwinqe has the same functionality as qemu-puppy I'll switch to that but it doesn't seem that way. Could you enlighten me?

ICPUG

#6 Post by ICPUG »

You're right confuzzled. PupWinQE only runs inside a host OS and you would need a separate iso for booting directly. Personally I do not find that a great hardship.

QEMU Puppy has a very different objective. Namely, to run Puppy on a host PC WITHOUT IN ANY WAY ALTERING THE HOST. I find this somewhat restrictive if the host is my own PC - I like to access files on the hard drive. Of course, it makes a lot of sense if it is on someone else's PC. I think some minor adjustments have to be made to the basic Puppy files for this to happen so QEMU Puppy is stuck at the version that Erik last built.

ICPUG

confuzzled

#7 Post by confuzzled »

What a shame. Oh well, thanks for all your help. I'll have to try out pupwinqe and see if have both files will make that much of a difference.

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

What you are discussing is one person's work, one person's idea of how to do it. Good work, but it's unique.

A straight forward approach would be to install QEMU for your operating system.

I have a Puppy version 4 virtual hard drive (2GB) available for download. The zipped compressed size as a little more than 90MB.

-------------

This would be ALL you need to run Puppy 4. I don't however recommend running it on a flash stick due to rapid wear factors.

If you want QEMU download it from their site.

If you want the pre-built image PM me for the URL.

confuzzled

#9 Post by confuzzled »

I'm sorry but I don't really understand your suggestions. The features that I liked about qemu-puppy were:

It would run as an application inside computers that were already booted.
It would boot from usb on machines that were capable of doing this.

I am assuming from your post that by "install QEMU for your operating system" you mean to somehow install the emulator into the host computer and then run puppy with the emulator? Although that does sound like a good way of doing it on my own computers it wouldn't be acceptable on other people's computers.

Could you please expand on the your comment of "rapid wear factors"? Are you referring to the shorter lifetime of flash (as compared to hard drives) in terms of multiple read/writes? I was given to understand that puppy was purposely programmed to only write back to disk every 30 minutes to improve the life cycle of flash drives. Has this been taken out of puppy 4.00?

thank you for your suggestions. I will look into installing qemu on my computer and see how that runs.

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

confuzzled wrote:
{text cut}

I am assuming from your post that by "install QEMU for your operating system" you mean to somehow install the emulator into the host computer and then run puppy with the emulator? Although that does sound like a good way of doing it on my own computers it wouldn't be acceptable on other people's computers.
That's how it's normally done.

As for other people's computers, that's a different story.
confuzzled wrote:Could you please expand on the your comment of "rapid wear factors"? Are you referring to the shorter lifetime of flash (as compared to hard drives) in terms of multiple read/writes? I was given to understand that puppy was purposely programmed to only write back to disk every 30 minutes to improve the life cycle of flash drives. Has this been taken out of puppy 4.00?
You have my rapid wear considerations right. But they aren't based on the type of Linux you are running or Puppy versions.

If you are running Puppy in QEMU it's oblivious to what kind of operating system it's on or what kind of medium it's on.

On a frugal install, you might be able to set the right modes for the thirty minute save intervals.

In any event Erik's qemu-puppy works, but it's an older version of Puppy and QEMU. I guess he's not keeping it updated.

Probably, if you like his technique and it meets your wants, except the Puppy version is older, this can be fixed.

I would take the project and see how he did it and update the software, both in terms of Puppy and QEMU. Would this be too hard for you?

If so, if you twist my arm, or offer some candy or something, I could take a look at it. I've not used it, but I've read the pages several times over.

thank you for your suggestions. I will look into installing qemu on my computer and see how that runs.[/quote]

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

confuzzled wrote:
{text cut}

That's how it's normally done.

As for other people's computers, that's a different story.
confuzzled wrote:Could you please expand on the your comment of "rapid wear factors"? Are you referring to the shorter lifetime of flash (as compared to hard drives) in terms of multiple read/writes? I was given to understand that puppy was purposely programmed to only write back to disk every 30 minutes to improve the life cycle of flash drives. Has this been taken out of puppy 4.00?
You have my rapid wear considerations right. But they aren't based on the type of Linux you are running or Puppy versions.

If you are running Puppy in QEMU it's oblivious to what kind of operating system it's on or what kind of medium it's on.

On a frugal install, you might be able to set the right modes for the thirty minute save intervals.

In any event Erik's qemu-puppy works, but it's an older version of Puppy and QEMU. I guess he's not keeping it updated.

Probably, if you like his technique and it meets your wants, except the Puppy version is older, this can be fixed.

I would take the project and see how he did it and update the software, both in terms of Puppy and QEMU. Would this be too hard for you?

If so, if you twist my arm, or offer some candy or something, I could take a look at it. I've not used it, but I've read the pages several times over.

confuzzled wrote:thank you for your suggestions. I will look into installing qemu on my computer and see how that runs.

confuzzled

#12 Post by confuzzled »

Thanks for your help. I have tried to remake Erik qemu-puppy with the newer release but didn't have any luck. I will have another go and if I don't succeed I'll have to get down to the sweet shop.

thanks again

EZ4arabs

#13 Post by EZ4arabs »

confuzzled wrote:Thanks for your help. I have tried to remake Erik qemu-puppy with the newer release but didn't have any luck. I will have another go and if I don't succeed I'll have to get down to the sweet shop.

thanks again
Hello Friend
I know its not what you need Qemu to do but I was hoping someone can test the Xqemu I posted weeks ago.
can you please test this:
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=462938
or if you like to get from rapidshare :
http://rapidshare.com/files/115105165/xqemu.pet.html
sorry ,Kqemu not included.
Best of luck.

francus

Any progress regarding updating Erik's qemu-puppy?

#14 Post by francus »

Bruce B wrote: In any event Erik's qemu-puppy works, but it's an older version of Puppy and QEMU. I guess he's not keeping it updated.

Any progress regarding updating Erik's qemu-puppy?
I am always traveling. My idea is to use it in internet-cafè. Not always it is possible to connect my laptop to the ethernet of a public place. Also sometimes I am not even in condition to take my laptop with me. So qemu-puppy seems a very good idea.

What candy do you like? May you like $ 100?
Regards

Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

I did something. But I can't remember what. Was it hosted at sourceforge and I couldn't access it? Then forgot to try later?

I don't remember. I'll go back to square one and get back with you.

francus

#16 Post by francus »

Ok Bruce, let me know if you are able to get it!
all the best

Micke

#17 Post by Micke »

Hello everyone! As this is my first post here I'd first like to take the opportunity to say hello :-)

I've also tried to update qemu-puppy as I think that it's a great thing to use.

It seems to me that the only thing needed to do is replace:

*pup_217.sfs
*zdrv_217.sfs
*devx_217.sfs
*vmlinuz
*initrd.gz

with the corresponding files from puppy 4, as this as far as I can tell is the normal way of updating a frugal install of puppy. Then all that would need to be done is update puppy.sh and replace puppy.exe (perhaps with a puppy.bat, as a bat-file would be simpler to update). For some reason this doesn't seem to work though, and I can't figure out why...

The error message from qemu reads:
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...pup_400.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned over,
/Micke

Lorion

#18 Post by Lorion »

This thread is exactly what I want to do with my puppy!
It would run as an application inside computers that were already booted.
It would boot from usb on machines that were capable of doing this.
Exactly thats what I am trying to do the whole day!

So get a paypal account and write me/us an easy to use qemu puppet 4.1...

I would be so happy!

brendoncdodd

#19 Post by brendoncdodd »

Theoretically, you could "install" Qemu onto your flash drive, copy the Puppy 4.0 ISO onto it, and use a shell script or .bat file depending on the OS to make things easier on you. I think Qemu might run portably (I made that word up just now), as a matter of fact, I might have done so, I don't remember. Someone mentioned flash drive wear earlier, and that might pose a problem, though I have never had this problem myself, probably b/c I have never been able to keep a flash drive for more than a few months w/o losing it. :lol:

francus

Erik where are you?

#20 Post by francus »

Well, it seems that after Erik made quemu-puppy, nobody is able to update it. :shock:

Erikkkkkkkkk where are youuuuuuu???? :lol: