Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 16:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy 4.00 Unleashed
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
aspr1n

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul 2008, 15:35    Post_subject:  Puppy 4.00 Unleashed
Sub_title: Required packages

Hi all,

I am building a minimal unleashed Puppy 4.00, and the documentation appears to be as sparse as my build Wink

What are the minimum packages required either for a standard or barebones. The docs don't say what the difference actually is but:

On a barebones - I get a "Making the filesystem usable.... failed" message because grep isn't found in the busybox distribution package

If I build a standard it fails after login because bash isn't found - changing /etc/profile to SHELL=ASH then produces the same error as for barebones. Which is doubly odd because before that I don't get a "filesystem usable.. failed" message before changing to ASH.

What packages are the minimum requirements for a barebones build? Were can I get a full busybox with GREP without having to compile my own? I assume it must already exist in some package?

Interestingly, with the SHELL=BASH in standard I get a "login on pts/0" message before failure - any ideas what that means as well?

Cheers,

asp
aspr1n

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul 2008, 04:25    Post_subject:  

Got it - being a muppet.
solid

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul 2008, 02:29    Post_subject:  

I hope to learn how to do what you were talking about, create a 'barebones' puppy. Would you outline which packages you used to make that work? It would be very helpful to have this resource in the future.

Thank you,
Solid
aspr1n

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jul 2008, 04:27    Post_subject:  

Hi Solid,

This doesn't work really anything like the UL docs suggest, so I wouldn't recommend this unless you have *lots* of time on your hands to figure it out!

It's taken me almost a 4 days to get it booting correctly networked. The key though is definitely building your own rootfsskeleton package for the UL ./createpuppy script to use.

Also, bear in mind, at the very least you will be manually hacking your:

Libraries - there are loads missing, and it is a trial and error process finding them
Kernel modules - as the script doesn't add the correct ones
Network card - as the script doesn't create any networking
Keyboard - as the script doesn't create the correct keymap file in /etc - boot hangs without it

..and that's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head!

See this thread in "Cutting Edge": http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31481

BTW - I'd also recommend building in VMWare - you will be doing *lots* of rebooting - and this makes it simpler!

asp
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum