Freecell

Play with your Puppy.
rodrigt

#21 Post by rodrigt »

koolie wrote:@rodrigt
Negligible ram usage.
You dont need this .pet now you have Freecell working from the dotpup. It is the same version.
If you decide, sometime, to install the .pet I mentioned in my last post, and find it doesnt run (in some other Puppy version), then grab the 2 library files mugins mentioned.
That is all my big dotpet is, just those 3 files.
Cheers.
Ooops, I got confused. From my prior dialog with Muggins I had already installed the other files he mentioned, and today Installed the Freecell in his post. Thus I gather that I'm still OK on negligible RAM usage...
Thank you!

muggins

#22 Post by muggins »

rodrigt,

Koolie's actual freecell package, whether .pup or .pet, is negligible in disk usage. But because it uses the tcl/tk graphical toolkit, it needs the other two .pets, which weigh in at 500kbytes+ each, unextracted.

But if you're really concerned at having a minimal pup setup, but still want a card game, dump freecell & replace with seahaven. The advantage of seahaven is that it actually requires some thought, rather than just being reliant on the hand your dealt.

Now if I can only get a good version of Idiot's delight

nitehawk

#23 Post by nitehawk »

I've been looking for a Klondike Solitaire game that will work in Dingo!
The Tsol card game listed on the http://puppylinux.ca/bugs page doesn't work for Dingo. I too, am in serious danger of having to do something more constructive with my time!
Guess I COULD look for a good "freeware" windows klondike,..and do the Wine thing.........(well,...so much for doing constructive things with one's time).....

muggins

#24 Post by muggins »

nitehawk,

tksol will work on pup4 if you install the tcl & tk .pets mentioned on the first page of this thread. There's also a spartan SDL-based version here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25543

Or if you want to go the other extreme:

pysol has 200 card games & PysolFC over 1000. But besides needing tcl & tk, they also need python installed.

nitehawk

#25 Post by nitehawk »

Thanks! I'll do the download for Tsol,......tooooooooo many card games in the other thing :shock: The first should keep me busy.

BTW...just installed the card games addons for Firefox3,....and that's really not bad at all! I like to stay in linux, anyhow,...(and not have to rely on Wine, and windoz programs).

Mercedes350se

#26 Post by Mercedes350se »

I have installed freecell - cannot remember which one of the above - and it works perfectly if the 'left handed' cursor is ignored!

My question is that I have an icon on the desktop which is OK but I also have Menu>Dotpups>freecell not as I would prefer Menu>Fun>freecell.

What do I need to do to change this?

muggins

#27 Post by muggins »

Have a look in the directory /usr/share/applications for a .desktop file with freecell, or maybe xfreecell, in the name. Open in a text editor, and alter it's Categories line to:

Code: Select all

Categories=Game
then run the command fixmenus & restart the window manager.

Mercedes350se

#28 Post by Mercedes350se »

@ muggins,

Thank you. I looked in the file and it already had that line but with "; cardgame" after it.

I simply ran fixmenus, as you said, and freecell was where I wanted it in the menu structure.

However, it does not have a nice little symbol (icon?) in front of Freecell as the other games do. You can tell what is coming I am sure. How do I get a suitable symbol in front of the name in the menu?

muggins

#29 Post by muggins »

Mercedes,

all you need to do, to have an icon in the menu, is again edit the relevant .desktop file, and on the line Icon=, add a path to a suitable icon, then run fixmenus & restart the WM.

N.B. If the original freecell didn't come with an icon, you can either hunt around in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons for one, look on the net, or create your own.

Mercedes350se

#30 Post by Mercedes350se »

@ muggins,

It worked a treat.

Thank you.