1.0.3 and boot off USB flash disk problem

Booting, installing, newbie
VSh

1.0.3 and boot off USB flash disk problem

#1 Post by VSh »

It looks like there is some problem with 1st boot off USB flash disk.

I don't have CD drive here, so, I prepared my pen drive as described in "Old instruction" flash-puppy section. In 1st boot off flash Puppy didn't create pup100 file, but tried to put all his stuff in root directory of flash and in the middle of the process something went wrong. Puppy wrote many messages that it could't create some files and stopped.

Is there some workaround?

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

Could you give some more information on the steps you used to put Puppy on the flash/USB disk?

Did you use isobuster to extract the files from the iso?

Did you make sure that you had a good download of the iso file by checking the md5sum of the downloaded Puppy iso?

Did you use Windows XP or Linux to move the files to the flash drive and invole syslinux?

Did you attempt to change the size of the ramdisk size or otherwise alter the syslinux.cfg file?

What bios setting are you using to boot off the USB disk?

Please also note the amount of ram that you have in the system.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Ian »

With a pen drive the easiest way to install Puppy is to use the Wizard.

If you have access to a machine with a burner and USB inputs it would be simpler to create a live CD and proceed from there.

This can save a lot of time and work.

VSh

#4 Post by VSh »

I did exactly as "Old instruction" says: copy image.gz, usr_cram.fs, vmlinuz from ISO, syslinux.cfg from syslinux.zip, run syslinux.com. puppy-1.0.3-mozilla.iso is good. No plays with syslinux.cfg. All from inside of XP. I sure the pen drive is all right. DSL boots perfect off this.

Does the Wizard do something different from "Old instruction"?

I tried on two computers: P4 2GHz, 512MB and Athlon64 3000+, 512MB with the same result. Puppy didn't create pup100 file on the pen drive. It looks like Puppy doesn't create it on 1st boot anymore. Probably, the Wizard does it now? Then, there is no possibility to install Puppy for boot off USB outside Puppy. I think, it's bad - minus one feature.

marcv

#5 Post by marcv »

I've finally got puppy booting off of a USB drive after a day playing around with it. This is how I did it. First my setup:

puppy-1.0.3-mozilla.iso
Dell Inspiron 1200 notebook, 256MB, no floppy
Kingston 128MB USB drive.

I first tried the automaticed script after booting off of the puppy CD. Didn't work (two lines of random characters appeared on my screen when booting from USB and system halted). I then tried the manual method, which also didn't work (got 50% through the booting and complained about not being able to create files).

This is what worked:

1. Format the USB drive on my Win2k PC to FAT using normal format command (this is probably not necessary).
2. Boot laptop in Puppy off of CD and run USB install.
OK, up to now, the normal instructions, here's the key part that made all the difference:
3. Plug FOB into my Win2k PC and run "syslinux.exe x:".
(syslinux.exe came from syslinux-3.09.zip, from http://syslinux.zytor.com/).

Plug FOB into notebook and it worked!

Great work and thanks to all who contributed to the project and to Barry. I hope to spend some time playing with my new "puppy".

VSh

#6 Post by VSh »

marcv wrote:2. Boot laptop in Puppy off of CD and run USB install.
3. Plug FOB into my Win2k PC...
Did you see file pup100 on flash after this?

#7 Post by Guest »

VSh wrote:
marcv wrote:2. Boot laptop in Puppy off of CD and run USB install.
3. Plug FOB into my Win2k PC...
Did you see file pup100 on flash after this?
I didn't look for it, but I don't recall seeing it as I searched the USB drive for a record of the messages that appeared on screen.

#8 Post by Guest »

Actually when I exaimed the USB drive after unsuccessfully booting it had lots of directories installed on it (like MYDOCUMENTS), so the OS was installing the files directly to the USB device instead of using pup100.

VSh

Solution

#9 Post by VSh »

Guys, change file syslinux.cfg in syslinux.zip and add some explanations to "Old instruction". The file should be something like this:

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz
append PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1 PFILE=pup100-none-262144 PKEYS=us
It is working now.

buttons

USB stick booting

#10 Post by buttons »

After much messing about with syslinux, finally found this post, made the changes to the cfg file, and presto, works! Thankyou that person.