how to do this

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
runtt21

how to do this

#1 Post by runtt21 »

How can I install this? Or make a .pet out of it. I Know Linux is very safe, I want to make a puppy that can be used as a "lifeboat" for windows.

http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/rootkit_hunter.html

aragon

#2 Post by aragon »

ken_cat

#3 Post by ken_cat »

runtt21,

Interesting idea you have there. But, it looks like this rkhunter prog only works on Linux and BSD, so would not scan the Windows system for kits.

By your use of "lifeboat for windows", this is how I assume you meant to use it. If not, let us know.

Also, how often is this prog updated for new malware?

It's scary that someone has taken time to make a rootkit scanner for Linux. OK, doing some more reading and there are a h...... of a lot of rootkits out there for *nix. I'm trying to escape windows because of all that stuff.......sheez, can't win :shock:

YASKY

#4 Post by YASKY »

watch out for that rkhunter package--i was shown as a proof of concept exploit one time how to add 14 lines of code to that very same program and it would auto-root a debian box---it was just too easy and a little bit scary --im not so sure that exact exploit would work on a live cd that runs in memory only BUT puppy does have hd write access even running from a live cd so it is very possible -and this was about a year ago so im sure that proof of concept has been built upon and improved . i have found thru my own personal research that a LOT of "security" type downloads contain unkown "features" ( even wireshark calls home check for yourself if you dont believe me) basically what i am trying to say is sometimes the cure is worse than the illness

runtt21

life boat

#5 Post by runtt21 »

Ken_cat , About a month ago a friend of mine had some trouble with her laptop.She didnt have anything backed up.I gave her a live puppy cd and told her how to use it and she was able to get all of her files, music, pics,etc... off of it.I thought puppy would be best for that because it runs in ram and you can use the cd/dvd-rom for other stuff if you need it, unlike a live ubuntu or fedora cd.But could that go one more step and use the cd to fix some stuff? Like including supergrub to fix mbr problems, and anti virus and malware too.I know if windows has a corrupt system file you out of luck without a recovery/restore cd. But you get the idea....

Yasky ,That app was recommend by the people over at, http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ , and I have been getting help there for years.