Puppy 4.00 Unleashed

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
aspr1n

Puppy 4.00 Unleashed

#1 Post by aspr1n »

Hi all,

I am building a minimal networked CLI puppy from unleashed, and it's been a trial and error process of what the minimum packages are.

Is there a minimum package dependancy list anywhere for Puppy 4?

Thus far my packages.txt looks like:

Code: Select all

0rootfs_skeleton-4.00.pet
bash-3.0.16.pet
bin-11.1.pet
busybox-1.8.2-1.pet
cddetect-2.0.pet
coreutils-6.9-1.pet
cpio-2.9.pet
dhcpcd-3.1.8.pet
disktype-9.pet
e2fsprogs-1.40.2.pet
eject-2.1.0.pet
elspci-0.0.6.pet
freetype-2.3.5.pet
gcc-4.2.2-1.pet
glib-2.14.2.pet
glibc-2.6.1-1.pet
glibc_i18n_en-2.5.pet
grep-2.5.3.pet
gzip-1.3.5.pet
hdparm-7.7.pet
hotplug-1.4.pet
ifplugd-0.28-static.pet
kbd-1.12-1.pet
libcap-1.10.pet
libcdio-0.78.2.pet
libusb-0.1.12.pet
module-init-tools-3.2.2.pet
mp-3.3.13.pet
ncurses-5.6.pet
sed-4.1.5.pet
squashfs-tools-3.3.pet
sysfsutils-2.1.0.pet
sysvinit-2.86.pet
tar-1.19.pet
unionfs_utils-0.2-2.1.6.pet
util-linux-2.13-pre7.pet
zlib-1.2.3.pet

aspr1n

#2 Post by aspr1n »

Bump... anyone? There must be someone who knows what packages Puppy 4.00 has a boot dependency on?

phutte

Ohh YES!

#3 Post by phutte »

This 'unleashed'-business is sparse indeed.
I would also like to build my own puppy, for my girlfriend (ain't that true love?).
To start out with a minimal system, CLI would be a nice start ;o)
From there I would like to append all the dependencies, hopefully via lazy PupGet, to end up with a quite small system containing only the apps she uses in her common flavor.
Being able to launch FF3 (flash,java,pdf), viewing her .xls shemas, chat through Pidgin, write .doc's, dump the photos from our digital camera, and then print them.
Also view all video formats via VLC or equivalent, listen to all the .ogg's
and .mp3's is a must.

The interface instead of a desktop, I guess she would love a freevo,geexbox,ice approach. Wouldn't that be nice..!

i.e. Power on, Fast boot, No login, and later on a Fast shutdown (all this is performed with a glance by Puppy (happy to have found this OS)).

peace and out.. /from one who wish to learn how to make my own stripped down user interface which works flawless, no questions asked (except for a couple of # su xxxx, here and then).

I don't think this 'Remaster my own LiveCD' is the way to go, since it includes all the shit included in the original distro, plus my changes. So i would be stuck with a few games, an Abiword and stuff like that, only to clutter my fs.
Is 'Unleashed' the way to go? Or is it next stop LFS?

../phutte

aspr1n

#4 Post by aspr1n »

This 'unleashed'-business is sparse indeed.
Yeah, totally - starting to feel a little lonely round here!
Is 'Unleashed' the way to go? Or is it next stop LFS?
Hmmm, well that's exactly what I am considering too...

All I want is a fast minimal base distro, that I can then build on from there, eventually looking to move over to FB rather than XWindows, and einit/initng rather than sysinit.

Pet-Be-Gone just flat doesn't work in Puppy 4 - it corrupts so many of the package scripts, I started writing my own, that just iterates over the UL file listings for each package and deletes them, but the dependencies - arrgh!

I've ended up hacking so many of the scripts in Puppy, I probably should have gone LFS from the start, but I really like Puppy's UnionFS principal, and hate reinventing the wheel!

Hmm.. what to do...

aspr1n

#5 Post by aspr1n »

Woo hoo!

Finally got it booting correctly with an ISO down to 18.7 Mb. Now to trim the fat!

Building a UL Puppy is *not* as simple as it sounds!

As P4UL needs this much hacking, long term I've decided go to LFS, and spend the time using creating my own compressed file system with AuFS as it supports drivers in the loop device.

asp

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

such advanced things are beyond me but sure sounds exciting so hope
you could share more. I trust a lot of people would be interested.

LFS is Linux From Scratch I guess.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

inged

#7 Post by inged »

@ aspr1n, would you give us advice on how to build the P4UL?

For me the unleashed path is really interesting but being a not-so-advanced-Linux user makes everything look tougher. But I bet there is a lot of people interested if somebody shows the path, or at least recommendations about do's and don'ts.

Cheers

cb88

#8 Post by cb88 »

most of it is detailed at puppylinux.com in the developers section

also it is highly recommended that you get on the #puppylinux irc channel if you feel you are actually up to the task of building puppy from unleashed ...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

amigo

#9 Post by amigo »

I'm not dead sure, but from my (long) experience at building minimal Slackware installs, you should be able to do without:

freetype-2.3.5.pet
gcc-4.2.2-1.pet
glib-2.14.2.pet
glibc_i18n_en-2.5.pet
mp-3.3.13.pet

at least for booting, I mean. Of course you will probably want gcc for compiling stuff. freetype is for antialiased fonts under X. glib is used with GTK programs and mp is GUI editor, so you should be able to do without those. The glibc_i18n is probably only needed if you are using a non-US keyboard.

trapster

#10 Post by trapster »

Me thinks mp is a console editor.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

cb88

#11 Post by cb88 »

not to mention its not big enough to worry about removine ... less that 50kb last time i checked
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Kelly

Glad someone else is using puppy-unleased

#12 Post by Kelly »

Hi

I'm glad there are some messages from someone else trying this. I posted last week and have had no replies except for one saying he'd like to help but didn't know what I was doing :-)

I'd be interested in how you get on. I'm stalled at the moment because my development box fried it's hard disk and my backup one is just tooooooo slow to try this on. I'll be continuing in a few days.

I did try the "barebones" install when running createpuppy but it seemed to have a lots of errors. Ideally I'd like to remove all unnecessary packages and modules which will make it smaller.

I have the added complication that I'm building for an Ebox 2300sx which has no FPU.

Am I right in thinking that when compiling a kernel for Puppy the modules_install bit puts the files into /lib/modules/KERNELVERSION even on a cross compile ?

Kelly

phutte

#13 Post by phutte »

Maybe I have a surprise coming up (within a month?). So stay tuned..
At least I am very excited about it, and thats good enough for me ;o)

../smiles are contagious

technosaurus

#14 Post by technosaurus »

Great I can now stop working on WebPup (I have been trying to cut down Fatfree puppy) and focus my efforts on improving the Puppy Web Desktop

Also you might consider using T2 vs LFS to retain puppy functionality
1. Download the package from T2 to the unleashed directory
2. tar xvf "package-name".tar.bz Extract the package
3. cd package-name Change to the package directory
4. ./configure --prefix=/usr Configure package for the installation-library /usr/lib
5. make Compile package
6. new2dir make install
6a. (Step-3: choose 3) Install package, create pets including dev, doc, nls

These scripts/packages might help your woes:
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distrib ... x/t2-dingo

Kelly
Are you aware of eboxpup? minimal version based on 2.13
or
eboxpup2.14

phutte

#15 Post by phutte »

Hold your horses there mr.technosaurus, what I can deliver to the community might be a laughter to many!?
I've considered T2, but decided to go for Unleashed full-on. Maybe later on, when I get more experienced as a Linux user, understanding it more deeply, I will move to 'the next level', but for now: Unleashed ;o)
I've only used various *nix:es for less than a year, and have probably migrated fully from my beloved Win2000 within the next few months.
Actually whats stopping me from doing that is that I haven't found a text-editor that reached my soul yet (using PsPad).
And also, my optical library is organized nicely in a app called CDTree, so when to find a certain file from one of my now maybe 200 discs, I query it, and go fetch my disc.
Apart from those, nothing will stop me from being a 100% *nixer.

Linux sort of structually 'resembles?' the old Amiga 500 in a way or two, and that is like: GRRRRREAT

My 'surprise' is an online/php packages.txt editor, wich hopefully will become foolproof in usability.
So if you know your hardware, and know what you want in your dist, maybe this one will help out making it boot correctly, and init your extras, maybe a desktop/wm and only a browser!?

Is this welcome, I don't know, but I can tell you that although my programming skills is not full-fledged yet and the code is not modern in any way (looks like ZX-basic ;o), this is what I love to do, hacking .php and more recently tweaking *nix.

So if you want to concentrate on this or that, maybe what I will contribute is not at all what you will use? Who knows.

But as I said, this is my passion.

I like your pupweb_Desktop, and I think it will help me out in letting the user know what package he/she actually toggles ON/OFF. Thanks for the link.

../phutte

raffy

unleashed

#16 Post by raffy »

My 'surprise' is an online/php packages.txt editor, which hopefully will become foolproof in usability.
That is certainly most welcome, so lets us know when it is ready.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Kelly

Thank technosaurus

#17 Post by Kelly »

Hi technosaurus

Yes I am aware of those two but they're based on older versions of Puppy for which there is difficulty finding the compile environment and such for.

My development box is now replaced with a nice meaty beastie which can compile a complete kernel from scratch in < 10 minutes. This is running Puppy 4.0 and so I need to find a solution for the ebox which uses 4.0.

I'm currently at the stage that I have compiled a kernel and built the sfs files but I'm getting a panic just after the "Performing a 'switch_root' to the new Unionfs filesystem..." and can't figure out why.

Are the standard Puppy 4.0 pet files built for a generic system ie will they run on an ebox2300 ?

Thanks
Kelly

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

I am building a minimal networked CLI puppy from unleashed,
CLI could be the next great thing when everybody tired of all that
3D rotating BlingBling. :) Small is beautiful and it gives you freedom.

A sparse resource these days. So go for it. Sadly me too noob to be able
to contribute.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

technosaurus

#19 Post by technosaurus »

phutte
that response was actually to CLIP (command line interface puppy) as all I will have to do is add my packages but your packages.txt editor sounds great too - both will help me with what I want to do with web pup.

Kelly

Maybe the new retro kernels will help?
http://puptrix.org/sources/kernel-2.6.2 ... etro/scsi/
includes source and patches that you will need since I am pretty sure (not 100%) you will need to do a complete recompile of nearly every package since it is similar to a 486sx and whereas puppy is compiled for 486dx+?
If you just need a dev environment for ebox 2.14 there are pet packages (gcc 3.4.4...) that should work with 2.x at:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... ackages-2/