eeetiger

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dinky

eeetiger

#1 Post by dinky »

EDIT: eeetiger is blending into Project Ripple, which takes off where eeetiger leaves off. No new releases will be made of this pupplet, though support will still continue in this thread.

Development versions of Ripple are now available, and already outstrip eeetiger. Ripple aims to support all versions of the eeepc out of the box. To download, and join the Ripple community, go to: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 026#246026

--------------------------------------------------------------

Er... G'day...

Welcome to eeetiger, an extension of the TigerPup project for the eeepc. Basically I bought an eeepc and wanted TigerPup on it. It was much easier to rebuild the iso specific to the eeepc than include support within TigerPup, so here it is! This is heavily based on dvw86's magical eeepc scripts, find their original eeepc pupplet here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25896

Based on TigerPup version 1.6, eeetiger includes:

- all hardware working for the asus eeepc
(microphone and webcam untested)
- wireless working, ethernet loaded (haven't tested ethernet)
- screen resolution adjusted
- compiz-fusion specific to the small screen (hotkeys for toggling windows fullscreen, easy zoom function enabled)
- everything else from TigerPup 1.6!

Below is an installation guide, then some user docs to get you started, Let me know how you go!
~dinky

iso: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerp ... etiger.iso 257 Mb

Installation Guide:

Fairly simple, here's what works for me. Download the iso from above, and extract it in puppy. I use TigerPup, (which can be found at http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerpup/current ) but any puppy 3.01 should work. In TigerPup you can double click on the iso (or right click and choose filemnt, if this fails), then copy the files to another folder. Extracted!

For both the internal sd flash drive and an external device, start the puppy universal installer. (in TigerPup this is in TigerPup menu>Puppy Setup) For an external device (usb flash drive, sd card for the reader, etc.), choose usb flash. Even if you have an external sd card, it won't work unless you choose usb flash. For the internal drive, choose cf carf in ide adapter. I highly recommend installing to an external device first...

For an external device, choose mbr.syslinux for the bootloader. For the internal I use grub. Below is the extlinux.config file I'd recommend. (similar for syslinux.conf, you'll work it out) The hdc=noprobe option helps it boot faster, but you will have to remove that if you boot from the external device and wish to install it to the eeepc.

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash vga=785 hdc=noprobe layerfs=aufs 
For an internal disk install, here is the grub config file I use (edit as appropriate for other linux's):

#Grub bootloader config. Edited by dinky, 29-6-08
#hiddenmenu
timeout 0
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray

title eeetiger 
	root (0x80,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 vga=785 hdc=noprobe PMEDIA=ideflash layerfs=aufs 
	initrd /boot/initrd.gz
When prompted, choose to create a /boot directory where vmlinuz, and all your other boot files will be found. I find editing the grub file at the end easier.

*eeepc 901 users: Currently the iso is set up for the default 701 screen resolution. I'll provide a fix for this in the future (or 2 seperate isos, which might be easier), but for now, you can edit the 915 resolution patch that fixes eeetiger to 800x480 resolution. For the 901 you'll need 1024x400 resolution.

Open /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin in mousepad:

mousepad /usr/X11R7/bin
Scroll down to:

#Puppy Xorg Video Wizard...
This should be around line 166.

Replace

915resolution 43 800 480 16 # 43 is for 16-bit, 38 is for 8-bit
with

915resolution 54 1024 600 32
if this doesn't work, you can also try:

915resolution 45 1024 600 16
Save this file, then exit to the command line (ctrl+alt+bckspace).
Type

xorgwizard

then select 'Other' at the bottom of the list. Press ENTER for two more dialogue boxes, then on the third one you should have a 1024X600 resolution you can select. If you don't, choose any resolution, and you will be dumped at the prompt again. Go through the process one more time, only this time select 1024x600 when it becomes available. I had to do this again configuring the 701, I'm not sure why. Anyway, type

xwin

when done and press enter to restart eeetiger's X server.

Any other questions, please post here!

User Docs:

1. Compiz-Fusion:
Ccsm sucks on the eeepc (Compiz config settings manager), however, this is a known issue. There are various workarounds. eeeTiger includes two. For others, check out compiz-fusion on the eeepc forums from asus. Firstly, and what I use, when ccsm is open, press alt+right click (button 2), and select 'minimize window'. This will fix your cursor jumping and selecting the wrong thing. The second involves toggling to fullscreen with the shortcut key, see below.

2. Windows too large for screen:
Haven't found away around this, but there are a couple of cool workarounds.

The first is the 'toggle fullscreen' key that I find invaluable for the eeepc 701, as things are so small to begin with. This is super+F. (super is the home key to the left of the space bar, with a house on it.) Try it, you will like it. This sets most windows to the size of the screen, in glorious fullnes. While you usually can't access the panel bar in this mode, expo and scale plugins are still working. (see below for mouse shortcuts)

The second involves the expo shortcut (see below). When you zoom out to the unfolded triangles, you can select the part of the window off of the screen. Drag the mouse to the top left hand corner and you will see what I mean. This will work for all the windows that aren't happy with the fullscreen key. While Ccsm works with fullscreen, I often use expo because it's less buggy. Super+E will also zoom you out.

3. Mouse shortcuts:
There are 3 already set up in eeeTiger, though you could add more through ccsm.
1. Scale plugin - drag mouse cursor to top left hand corner. This will scale all windows that are open. I love it. Can also use Shift+alt+up arrow.
2. Expo plugin - described above, drag mouse cursor to top left corner and watch your windows zoom out. Super+E also works.
3. Screen saver - drag mouse cursor to bottom left of screen, will start the screensaver (flying windows)

4. Other useful key actions:
- Super+tab to rotate through all windows on a single desktop
- Super+alt+tab to rotate through ALL of your windows on EVERY desktop
- Super+F3 to make it snow (same to stop)
- shift+F9 to make water ripples appear (same to stop)
- shift+super+left mouse click (button 1) to paint fire. shift+super+c to clear it.
Plus heaps and heaps more. Go to TigerPup menu>settings>Compizconfig Settings Manager (ccsm) to find out what else can be done. (this is the part where you rtfm). Look at 'bindings' for each setting to see how to use them, then try them.

5. Screen is tiny, enlarge windows:
Another cool compiz-fusion shortcut. Have you found the scrollbar? On right hand side of mousepad. hold down the super key, and scroll up or down. You will either zoom into the screen, or zoom out. Move the mouse pointer around, and you will see the whole screen. You can even zoom into expo, or use the scale plugin in this mode. One of the single most useful things on eeetiger. Try it, you'll like it.

6. Splash screen. Very easy to disable if need be. In the boot menu (syslinux.conf, grub, etc, whatever you are using) add pfix=nosplash. You will get text instead of the splash.

7.Wbar:
Has it disappeared? Very unlikely it's crashed. You probably just minimized the desktop. Two ways to do this are by using the scale plugin (mouse top right corner) and clicking on the desktop, or by clicking the desk icon (show desktop button) on the panel menu. Both of these will make wbar, and the analogue clock, disappear. Click the show desktop button on the panel to restore them. If you want to disable wbar open /root/.xinitrc and comment out (add # in front of it) the line with wbar in it near the end of the file. Wbar will no longer launch when X starts.

8. Audio:
Should be working fine, otherwise this is a bug. Works on my eeepc. On startup is a bit soft, but after creating a save file roars loud and clear each bootup.

9. Hardware keys:
The are found by pressing the Fn key and F key with icon. Most work. Sleep doesn't. Wireless toggle does, though if you switch it off wireless will be down until you reboot, even if you turn it on again. You have to turn it off before you reboot as well for it to be recognized at bootup. Screen brightness keys work. Haven't tried F5 and F6, I think you need to be hooked up to an external monitor for that. Sound keys are hotkeyed with xbindkeys, as they don't work out of the box. Hit ctrl+F7 for mute, ctrl+F8 for volume down, and ctrl+F9 for volume up. Num Lock works, haven't tried Scroll Lock, Print Screen, or Sys Requirments. From Memory the last two need to be hotkeyed.

10. Pupmode 13:
Still working on it for an install to the internal flash drive, the default is fine for usb or external flash disks. I've actually got it working on my eeepc, but not in the remaster. Easy enough if you want to do it. Go to http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerp ... er/initfix and download the initrd.gz file. After creating a save file and booting from it, simply replace the old initrd.gz file with this one. Reboot, and open /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE. You will find pupmode set to 13. Haven't sorted this for the remaster yet. Any ideas?

11. Have fun, and please report back!
Last edited by dinky on Wed 05 Nov 2008, 00:29, edited 4 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Nice!
Now where to place a tiger . . .
In the Jungle of my garden?

Not much time to try everything . . . initial impression
- eh - compiz with Puppy on an eeepc - GOOD!
Wow factor - high . . .
- installed to CD and used the Universal Installer to put it on a USB keydrive
. . . which booted AND recognized the presence of my wifi connection.
:)

Have not connected yet - have to go and show off now

Put a tiger in your Eeepc
wiki page
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=TigerPup
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 17 Jul 2008, 20:13, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

boqueesha

#3 Post by boqueesha »

i got to play around with it for a little bit last night and everything seemed very nice. I do have a 900 and couldn't get it changed to 1024x600 but once i get home tonight i'll get a chance to play with it some more. i was surprised how well compiz was running! i also didn't get a chance to test eth0 but wireless was working great. i kept meaning to check sound but my one trip to youtube wouldn't play the video and i forgot about it at my next reboot (until right now) so that's another thing i'll have to play with when i get home.

raffy

screen resolution

#4 Post by raffy »

Here is a discussion of screen resolution setting for the eee 900:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30986
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

dinky

#5 Post by dinky »

Hi boqueesha, welcome to eeetiger! Glad you like it. Let me know when you sort this out, and exactly what you did. I've posted a tutorial above in the installation section. To save hassle, the next remaster of eeetiger will include a fix for this, or 2 isos, one for the 900 and another for the 701. Can you post back with details of how you fixed this when it's working?

@raffy
Thanks for the advice raffy, I was wondering about that myself. I've just posted a how to guide above in the installation section, can you take a look at that and see if this is right? Also, can you (or anyone else reading this!) think of a way I can get xorg to recognise the resolutions for both the 701 and 900 without including this patch? I'd like to put it in the next release of TigerPup. (probably still simpler to include seperate isos for the eeepc's, but would love to add support for them natively into TigerPup.) Thanks.

@Lobster
Glad you like it matey, let me know when you've finished showing off...lol.
Thanks for posting it up on your txmine wiki! One of those time lag issue, you beat me to it! I'll still create a wiki page for it at some point (so I can update and edit it), but would be awesome if you want to mirror it on your site. For now, thanks so much for taking the information above and posting it on txmine. I like your picture too...lol.

boqueesha

#6 Post by boqueesha »

Those instructions worked perfectly for my 900. 1024x600 is soooo nice :) I almost feel like I cheated it seemed too easy.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Glad you like it matey, let me know when you've finished showing off...lol.

:D
I was sitting outside a Portuguese restaurant yesterday
ensuring the one member of my family with a soft spot for Linux
was aware of the wonders of Tigers . . .

Modify the page I created as much as you like

or start here . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wiki/archives/old ... ve/puplets

Remember to add PSIP (soft phone for Puppy)

Also (this is a general point)
If you get a chance see how the Wii (I suspect the same is true for
PS3 or Hex-Box) connects to wifi
Scans - finds - add password
Done

eh . . . can we have that please :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mdisaster2

#8 Post by mdisaster2 »

Did some other tests with a clean install.

- Music Player is set up by default for OSS. Choosing Alsa from the dropdown menu in Preferences gets rid of clipped sound.

- Xine still refuses to do anything except for showing the logo. When I start it from console I see the usual copyright message and a line that says "ASF changed from -1 to -2".

- This time I have been able to edit compiz settings, but I can't disable the annoying fire effect as I did previously - I untick "Paint with fire" and close and the window goes down in flames.

(In order to enable the "super" key on my Italian keyboard I had to select a layout variant without dead keys in the xorg mouse and keyboard wizard. This might apply to other people with international keyboards as well).

All other things I tried seems to work fine, except that my pupsave file on the SD card tends to get corrupted after some reboots. According to Windows the card is formatted as FAT, but MUT reports it as vfat... will try to reformat it as FAT with some card utility and then boot a variety of puplets.

dinky

#9 Post by dinky »

Try reformatting it with a linux partition, rather than a fat partition. While unconfirmed, it would make sense that puppy would respond better to a linux partition. It is linux, after all. The only real reason I can think of for using a fat partition at this time would be for creating a heavily encrypted save file... useful for portable media. Puppy 3.01 is very buggy with encryption, and will only work on fat partitions for some reason, vfat, etc. no ideas why. Depends how important security is to you, but I'd consider using a linux partition instead.

Xine is weird... has anyone else had problems with this? It runs fine for me, though as the xshm driver crashes i need to use the default, works, but without compiz rendering support. Can you try some different drivers for the video, and post your results?

Thanks for the tip about wxMusik, was aware of this and will fix it for future releases. Re compiz, go into animations>close animations. The option you want to change is "burn". Set it to something you like. It may not change immediately, occasionally it takes some time with compiz, like the next reboot, though often it will change right away. 'Paint with fire' is somethign totally different, that's when you can paint fire on the screen. Think I mentioned it in the tutorial above.

@lobster
Sounds like fun. Did you get any free coffees? I'm constantly amazed at the interest the eeepc draws from other people... like they've never seen such a small laptop before...lol. Neither had I some months ago...

I didn't get your comment about the Wii... try what on it exactly? eeetiger, tigerpup, wireless... tis a mystery my friend, you'll need to explain more. Thanks for the web page, I'll work out where to post it when I ... again... find the time. Probably when I'm procrastinating from something else truly useful. And my wife isn't requiring my attentions...lol. Thanks for posting it in the meantime.

@boqueesha
Thanks for letting us know. Which line exactly did you use, and did you have to reboot, etc? Did you need to run the xorwizard once or twice? Let me know and I'll edit the insructions above. Thanks mate.
~dinky

boqueesha

#10 Post by boqueesha »

i used 45 1024 600 16 I did not have to reboot and only ran xorgwiard once. One thing i did before editing xwin was to run in a terminal:

915resolution 45 1024 600 16
At the moment i'm trying to get the sound working. The options in modprobe.conf doesn't like the 900. I've tried changing the model=3stack-dig to model=auto which sadly didn't do the trick.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

I didn't get your comment about the Wii... try what on it exactly? eeetiger, tigerpup, wireless..
Wi-fi connection. Very easy on Wii. Dougal is creating a new wizard - maybe that will do?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 132#216132

Yes the driver is there
Yes the connection is found when scanned
but does it accept my settings. No!
Really no idea why . . .
I am sure it is my fault somewhere along the line . . .

No free coffee that is a US tradition. :)

I was impressing anoter potential Puppy User (A Mac user)
who liked the interface and then the icon bar disappeared.
Where did it go? How do I get it back? :?
It comes back when I restart the Eeepc (but not on x restart)

Logo enclosed :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mdisaster2

#12 Post by mdisaster2 »

dinky wrote:Try reformatting it with a linux partition, rather than a fat partition. While unconfirmed, it would make sense that puppy would respond better to a linux partition. It is linux, after all. .
Hmm, I noticed that every time I boot in xandros with the card reader plugged and then reboot into eeeTiger the files in the SD card go bad, which is somewhat suspicious... now I'm setting up the BIOS to boot from the external USB first, so Xandros doesn't get fired by mistake.

I haven't tried the linux format yet, because of 2 reasons:

- laziness: the universal installer won't put mbr.bin on a extfs2 partition, and I don't want to use extfs3 because it writes to the card every 5 secs, which sort of defeats the purpose of running pupmode=13 in first place. I suppose I should do my own extfs2 install, and this is where laziness kicks in ;)

- laziness: I find convenient to access the boot files on the card from both Windows and Puppy, but I don't feel like installing the extfs2 driver for Windows. ;)

However I did add ide=nodma to the boot parameters, because I keep seeing it recommended when booting Linux from flash media. This doesn't seem to slow things much, except that once at the first boot I got dropped into regular xfce instead of compiz. After I created the pupsave file and rebooted everything went fine. This happened only once, later fresh installs with the same boot parms didn't do that. Some timing screwup perhaps ?
(ide=nodma didn't stop the card from going bad though).
Xine is weird... has anyone else had problems with this? It runs fine for me, though as the xshm driver crashes i need to use the default, works, but without compiz rendering support. Can you try some different drivers for the video, and post your results?
Good news is that Xine started working, or at least I can get in the config gui (didn't try videos yet). Don't know exactly why (unless it is ide=nodma), but I'm not complaining :)

Question: is there a way to tune down the thumbpad driver ? Mine is oversensitive, and I spend a lot of time undoing misfired actions.

dinky

#13 Post by dinky »

@Lobster. Cool potentail for the logo matey! I like it.

I'm with you now on wireless, it has alwaysbeen a bit buggy in 3.01. That said, I find wireless is usually a pain, no matter what system it's run on...lol. Kudos to dougal if he's found an easier way for this to work.

I've found the wireless wizard does work in eeetiger, and TigerPup, but you need to be persistent. I've also found issues keeping the configuration, until it's configured 'correctly'... as assumed by the wizard of course. I find it's usually necessary to run the wizard a couple times, generally doing the same thing before it 'sticks'. Will usually scan and find the interface, need that interface to be saved, needs that interface to be loaded, then will tell you something silly like 'unable to find a live connection'. Means you need to do it again, though usually this is as simple as loading the right settings from the drop down list, and choosing to use that profile again. Works for me.

Another possibility is the Rutilt wireless gadget.. I think it starts by default in eeetiger. On the panel bar on the top right hand corner (network wizard is on the dockbar). This will also scan, connect, and save your settings. Your choice really.

By icon bar, do you mean the dockbar at the bottom of the page? I mentioned in the release notes for the first post how it can disappear. Basically, it acts like a window on the desktop, similar to the analogue clock. If you minimize all your applications, both the clock and the dockbar will disappear. (this can happen unexpectedly using Compiz-fusion's scale plugin by clicking on the desktop, see release notes) You can usually click the table symbol on the panel on the top left of the screen to restore these again.

Other than simply killing it, another way it could disappear is for an icon not to be available... if you erase the opera icon, wbar will crash and not be able to restart unless you restore the icon again. If you still can't figure it out, type "wbar -above-desk" in a console, and post what you get.

@mdisaster
Interesting about ext3 being written to every seconds... where did you find this information, this makes no sense to me. Also, I haven't checked it, but I thought syslinux also worke don ext 2? Interesting. Anyway, good to knwo about xine... I wonder what was wrong?

Not sure at all about the touchpad, but you could try looking in /etc/X11/xorg.conf , scroll down and find the line

Option "MaxTapTime" "220"
Try editing that... maybe you'll have some luck? Let us know what your results are. Good luck!

@boqueesha
Thanks for letting us know that! I'll post it above in the installation. Bummer about the sound, no idea what to try next. A search for other 900 users? Please let us know when you figure it out. I only have the 701, and am not likely to upgrade anytime soon. However, have you checked to make sure nothing is muted that shouldn't be? Apart from selecting the right device on the volume control icon on the panel, try running 'alsamixer' in a terminal. You might be able to change a setting there... might just be something is muted that shouldn't be. Good luck.

Cheers!
~dinky

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

By icon bar, do you mean the dockbar at the bottom of the page?
Dockbar is what I meant . . .
thanks for tips :)

I have to get wifi working - it is just indecent not to have it . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mdisaster2

#15 Post by mdisaster2 »

dinky wrote: @mdisaster
Interesting about ext3 being written to every seconds... where did you find this information, this makes no sense to me. Also, I haven't checked it, but I thought syslinux also worke don ext 2? Interesting.
On my last but one attempt with extfs3 I had forgot to copy the correct pupsave file from the iso, so the boot stopped. While looking at the messages I found something like "kjournald started, commit frequency=5 seconds, extfs3 mounted" (quoted by memory). I did some googling and it seems that kjournald is a daemon that writes stuff to the journal area of a extfs3 filesystem, so that transactions can be rolled back after a crash. The commit frequency can be set in fstab or in the mount command. Also I remember reading recommendations against using journaled file systems with flash media for this very reason, probably in the eeeusers forums.

(on second thought, Puppy running in PUPMODE=13 is a special case. What if pupmode=13 causes the journal area to be held in RAM until Puppy does its own commit ? In this case the flash media life wouldn't be affected, though I doubt that the journal would be of much use).

Syslinux probably works fine on extfs2 -I don't see why it shouldn't- but Universal Installer refuses to put mbr.bin on a extfs2 partition and says it wants either fat, extfs3 or reiserfs. So I should either try out the other bootloaders offered by the Universal Installer or roll my own install procedure...

(btw: how about distributing eee puplets as bootable image files ? this way lazy persons could just download the image and burn it on the USB media with a dd command as we do with live CDs...... just an idea).

Option "MaxTapTime" "220"
Try editing that... maybe you'll have some luck? Let us know what your results are. Good luck!
Oops, I didn't realize that the setting was on xorg, for some reason I thought it was somet proprietary Asus/Xandros thing.... will try and report.
Last edited by mdisaster2 on Mon 21 Jul 2008, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

boqueesha

#16 Post by boqueesha »

I had to use my flash drive for something else so I had to erase eeetiger for a few minutes...but quick question...what kernel version is it using? I know the 900 and 70x kernel is different in Xandros for the eee. -thanks

dinky

#17 Post by dinky »

@ boqueesha
Same kernel as both Puppy 3.01 and Puppy 4 at the moment, 2.6.21.7
This kernel doesn't support hyperthreading, or duo core processors, so at some point in the near future I'm planning on moving TigerPup to a newer kernel that supports this... probably when I move to Puppy 4,01.

@mdisaster2
Thanks for the info about ext3, I wasn't aware of that. I'd like to look into it more, and whether or not ext3 still acts like that with pupmode13... would make sense that it didn't... thus defeating the purpose of ext3... although once something is erased from ext3 it's generally gone, this could be an advantage for some people.

eeetiger is made from a bootable cd, and should work fine from an external cd drive for booting, though I haven't tried this. I'd be happy to make something that could load directly onto a usb device, but as I don't know how currently that will take a bit of research. A future project. Found an easier way of installing to a usb, (still using universal installer) is to just extract the iso and specify the directory as the place to install the files from... cutting out a bit of the mess. But you are right, it is stilla bit messy. eeetiger is more of an afterthought of the TigerPup project, though if it grows into it's own project I'll definitely add this feature.

An easier way to set you mousepad... go to TigerPup Menu>Settings>Settings Manager>Mouse you should find everything you need there. Cheers.
~dinky

boqueesha

#18 Post by boqueesha »

blahh a quote from another forum i just found "sound on the 900 requires the 2.6.25.4 kernel currently in testing..." well at least i can stop looking for that answer :)

dinky

#19 Post by dinky »

Hi boqueesha... that's good to know... can you send me a link to that forum? I would love to see it. The 2.6.25.4 kernel is under development for Puppy... there are bugs right now, but that is the kernel for the Puppy 4.01 release. I've been toying with the idea of rebuilding TigerPup from unleashed using that kernel, as it support duo, quad cores, and hyperthreading. Most likely I will wait until Puppy 4.01 comes out, Then move TigerPup, and eeetiger, to that. I you are really desperate you could try rebuilding from unleashed, using that kernel. Good luck, and thanks for letting us know about the sound.
~dinky

theSuperman

#20 Post by theSuperman »

So my SSD died on my EEEpc last Wed. I installed the eeeTiger onto a flash drive, and dont know if Ill go back to Xandros. You did an excellent job putting all the drivers together.

I have had a problem with external monitors though. I cant seem to get them to work. I have edited my Xorg file and such and tried xrandr, but it doesnt seem to want to output to an external device. It seems as if the Fn+F5 key doesnt work. Is there something special done to force the computer to boot to 800x480 and only use the internal screen?