Wireless connection[solved]

geecee

Wireless connection[solved]

#1 Post by geecee »

Hi
Ive tried a few linux distros but gave up when there were so many threads with pages and pages of strange command lines leading to frequent failures on wireless setup.
Ive recently been trying all the latest puppy distros from 2.16 onwards and come up with this problem on all of them:
I get the r8187 linux driver loaded and successfully get onto the net using the Internet connection wizard when encryption is DISABLED.However when WEP is ENABLED DHCP cannot configure wlan0 and STATIC incorrectly tells me it has configured successfully but the internet is not connected (the lights are even flashing on the screen).
I tried puppy because threads had suggested it is easy to get wireless going.
It certainly was easy to get onto the open network but not with WEP.
Any answers please?
Last edited by geecee on Sun 01 Jun 2008, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

lluamco

#2 Post by lluamco »

I am not sure whether this link
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=134
will be useful for solving your problem.
Another possibility is trying ndiswrapper with the windows driver.

geecee

#3 Post by geecee »

lluamco,
I had a look at that thread but some of the inputs seem specific to that setup.
I would not know what to substitute having arrived at my setup just clicking on the desktop internet connection wizard. I have not been involved in codes, which as a newbie, I find daunting.
Nidiswrapper was a problem for me in other distros but if all else fails I'll try.
I was hoping there was something I could still try using the connection wizard.

geecee

#4 Post by geecee »

I tried the link suggested by lluamco but I couldn't get it to work in my case.
Ive spent a day now trying to use ndiswrapper.
Ive downloaded the older version of the wg111v2 driver from netgear which apparently is the only one that works in linux. Im not sure what nidiswrapper needs as the driver download contains .inf and .sys files for win98 and various utility files like .cab .hdr .bin .setup.
Nidiswrapper only asks for an .inf file but the net111.inf file is quite small and contains written info only and nidiswrapper failed to load a module just using this -there must be more files required with this .inf file.
Any help appreciated

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

hi geecee

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... b4c18ba985

GeoffS said
WEP key. Yes you should put the WEP key in 'KEY' however until you get it working I would be inclined to turn off encryption otherwise it is just one more thing confusing the issue. On that subject, don't try using your pass phrase, enter the actual key. A nuisance but until you get it working it is more reliable. Not all pass phrase converters produce exactly the same key Also watch the use of upper and lower case for 'A' to 'F', it shouldn't matter but sometimes it does
also see smog's post 3 down

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8&start=45

aitch

geecee

#6 Post by geecee »

Thanks aitch,
Yes it does seem an encryption key problem which Ill follow up but I think Ive tried every variable within the network wizard.Im thinking the problem lies with the linux driver and wep in my setup.
Some have used the Win drivers with success and Im trying that.However I think I need to get the .sys part of the driver or something else into ndiwrapper as well as the .inf file but if that is the case,nidiswrapper only accepts .inf files.
any ideas?
geecee

lluamco

#7 Post by lluamco »

geecee wrote: I think I need to get the .sys part of the driver or something else into ndiwrapper as well as the .inf file but if that is the case,nidiswrapper only accepts .inf files.
geecee
Here are my working inf and sys files for ndiswrapper.
You should gunzip them, of course.
It may be worth trying them. I wish you luck!
Attachments
net111v2.inf.gz
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 733 times
wg111v2.sys.gz
(82.85 KiB) Downloaded 637 times

geecee

#8 Post by geecee »

lluamco,
Thank you for the downloads- that is great.I'm using the network wizard in both 2.16 and 3.01retro and when I try to get ndiswrapper to accept the .sys file it refuses to accept anything that is not an .inf file. What is the way around this problem?

lluamco

#9 Post by lluamco »

geecee wrote: when I try to get ndiswrapper to accept the .sys file it refuses to accept anything that is not an .inf file. What is the way around this problem?
Hi geecee. Place both the .inf and the .sys files in the same directory. Then when running the wetwork wizard choose the .inf file (and not the .sys one)
You can check if the driver has been installed properly, executing in a terminal

ndiswrapper -l

My output is:

net111v2 : driver installed

geecee

#10 Post by geecee »

Thanks again for your patience lluamco
OK Ive downloaded your files using puppy 3.01RETRO into MY DOCUMENTS and unzipped them . So they are sitting next to each other in the same directory MY DOCUMENTS.
I then bought up the Network wizard and then the ndiswrapper page and installed just the net111v2.inf.
While installing it said it was an invalid driver
When I use the code ndiswrapper -l I get:
net111v2 invalid :?

geecee

#11 Post by geecee »

SUCCESS!!!
I went back to Puppy 2.16 followed the process in my last post exactly and the driver loaded this time and ndiswrapper -l gives-"Driver installed" :D
In the process of changing settings and resetting my router a lot yesterday, it looks like its busted, so cant use it to test out my new driver.
The router was working fine with Windows till yesterday and wasn't the cause of my problems with the r8187 linux driver.
I will report back in four or five days, when I get my new Belkin router which, by the way, has a lifetime guarantee. -GREAT! :D

geecee

#12 Post by geecee »

I have since had time to check out the ndiswrapper for wg111v2 process in network wizard again on PUPPY 3.01,3.01 retro and 2.16 and indeed it worked on all-and it is simple process without code.I was entering the files the wrong way in the ndiswrapper page of the network wizard.
CORRECT WAY:
Once you download the .inf and .sys files from lluamco above and place them in MY DOCUMENTS you click on them and use the option to unzip.
When you open the ndiswrapper option in network wizard find ROOT in the left hand column double click it then double click MY DOCUMENTS and the two windows files will be in the right column.
click on net111v2.inf then OK and the driver loads.
Thanks lluamco and aitch
will post again when I try to hook up to the router next week
Hope this helps someone down the track :P

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#13 Post by Béèm »

I remember having seen a post when WEP didn't work correctly.
This was due to the encryption model not loaded.
Doing a modprobe by hand cured the problem.
Unfortunately, I don't know which thread that was, but ala it might be that you can look into that direction.

By doing a lsmod you probably should find a module with encryption in the name. If it's not there that might be the culprit.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

geecee

#14 Post by geecee »

In my journey of success in getting the ndiswrapper module loaded, I came up with an interesting problem:
As outlined above, I can download the driver files I need directly into MY DOCUMENTS, unzip them, transfer them into ndiswrapper using network wizard and the driver installs and the module loads consistantly.
However,I tried to copy the downloaded files from MY DOCUMENTS to CD and then back to a fresh live install and the driver gets installed successfully but the ndiswrapper module fails to load.The method I use:
After mounting and opening the disc drive and MY DOCUMENTS, I drag, drop and copy the files into MY DOCUMENTS.The files look to be the same and, indeed, do succeed in installing the driver but the module fails to load.
Ive repeated this over and over making the disc within windows and linux but always the same result.
Any clues????

Aitch

#15 Post by Aitch »

Try typing lsmod in a console
see if you can see your WG111

are you using ndiswrapper -l? [small 'L'] also in console
....and then back to a fresh live install
It may just be a bad install/CD?

Aitch

geecee

#16 Post by geecee »

Hi aitch
I dont think the cds were bad copies as I had a couple of goes at it. I think my linux file handling could be leading to problems.The work around using the direct download into the directory is fine so Ill live with that until I build up more skills.
Last edited by geecee on Wed 23 Apr 2008, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

geecee

#17 Post by geecee »

Hi aitch
Yes the driver shows as installed but the module wont load unless I use the download direct into MY DOCS.

SUCCESS
The new router is connected and the ndiwrapper driver works well but a little slower than in XP.
Works on WEP only in puppy3.01 but both WEP and WPA in 2.16.
Thanks to aitch and lluamco. :P

Aitch

#18 Post by Aitch »

Congrats
Attachments
eusa_dance.gif
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 473 times

mawebb88

Netgear wg111v2

#19 Post by mawebb88 »

Downloaded the two files from the post by lluamco and used the Network wizard on a clean Frugal install of Puppy 4.00 and hey-presto it worked. Had previously tried using other drivers from the CD and off the Netgear site which were all nbg (even using ndiswrapper stuff from the CLI).

Am now very pleased. Thanks for this great distro. The real thing which got me hooked was the easy files sharing (samba) stuff which I had failed with xubunta and DSL.

Aitch

#20 Post by Aitch »

........and another happy puppy :D

thanks for feedback

Aitch