TigerPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dinky

#141 Post by dinky »

Lol. Talk about rushed. Thanks for that. Md5sum for the iso above is: 09f9445d07c2a91824a1e9c3cecbba1d

Screen resolution is for the eeepc 701, 800x480. Should be fairly easy to change it patch it to 1024x600 for the 901... let me know if anyone wants me to do that and I'll post another iso. Let me know how you go!
~dinky

mdisaster2

#142 Post by mdisaster2 »

Heh, I am on GMT+1 so it's like having my own time machine as far as forum posts are concerned :)

md5sum is fine, which is good because i've burned it already :)

800x480 is fine for me, I have a 4G 701 with 2 Gb RAM.

the moment I have Puppy 301 installed on a 1 Gb SD card, I checked out that it actually boots on my regular machine, and I am about to replace the Puppy 301 files with the ones on the eeetiger iso. Then I'll have to figure out the syslinux config syntax...

Question: shouldn't the init set up PUPMODE=13 anyway when running from usb sticks or SD cards (as opposite to the internal SSD) ? How do I check this out ?

More info later...

mdisaster2

eeeTiger confirmed awesome !

#143 Post by mdisaster2 »

Ok, first report:

I booted eeeTiger on my 4G 701 from a external card reader (not the built-in one), the card was a regular 1 Gb SD card (Maxell). Boot time is about 1:30. The splash screen is nice, but I'd rather see the system messages scroll on screen. I only got a startup sound the third time I booted and it scared the heck out of me :D.

According to the system profiler I had 1200 Mb of free memory at start, which means that the basic system uses 800 Mb (this might be a problem for stock machines with 512 Mb).

I kept an eye on the disk activity light and I didn't notice it flashing every few seconds as is the case with the default Xandros. However I was distracted looking at my windows wobbling and melting...

Compiz is impressive, but I still have to get the hang of it (or RTFM, for that matter). Also some animations seems to be somewhat jerky on the 701, and my thumbpad has a tendency to misfire which tends to make things a bit too interesting... I suspect that once the novelty effect has worn out I'll revert to regular xfce, at least on the eee.

Wbar crashed/disappeared a couple of times, but I never liked it anyway...

All fonts looked great (even in Opera!).

Setup was a snap, WEP wireless worked at first attempt and didn't lose its settings at reboot, which used to be the case with other 3.01 puppies.

The IT locale was fetched and installed correctly, however I was only able to install the Italian keyboard layout from the Puppy X wizard - the regular keybord wizards didn't work (same thing happens in Dingo btw).

All the applications I tried were fine, except for Xine which only shows a big X logo. I don't know whether audio is working, I did hear a growl at boot once but I wasn't able to play any audio file without Xine.

Some windows tend to be larger than the screen, for example the Compiz theme settings. I'm sure there is a way to drag them around but I didn't figure it out yet.

I didn't try the webcam (didn't know how), and the hardware keys (not sure if they are supposed to work).

Bottom line, even in the current early release I think that eeeTiger is vastly superior to Xandros, and for a fact I am planning to ditch Xandros and put eeeTiger on the internal SSD as soon the pupmode=13 issue is solved.

Now my wish list for the future releases...
(some of these things could be in eeetiger already, or maybe I should add them myself, but hey it is just a wish list ;)

- Opera 9.51. Not only it is way faster but a couple of the new features in 9.51 seems to be expressely made for the eee, such as the "Fit to size" button and Opera Link (syncs bookmarks with the home PC).

- In addition to regular Opera it would be cool to have Opera Mini as well. Over here a lot of EeePCs are sold branded by phone companies and come bundled with a 3G comm card and a rip off contract. Opera Mini is great for saving traffic costs...
(this would require Java JRE + Microemulator though, maybe it could be put in a sfs or something).

- Bluetooth support.

- gpsd.

- Fix Xine (assuming it is broken to start with), and/or add a lighweight audio player.

- make the screen saver turn off the LCD, if possible.

- Maybe add Pmirror as a fast way to put Xandros away right after booting Puppy.
(Pbackup is great, but a little intimidating for firsttime users).

- Maybe add an alternative lightweight window manager for people w/ 512 Mb.

- Anything I didn't think of yet ;)

Congrats again for an excellent distro !
Last edited by mdisaster2 on Mon 14 Jul 2008, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

mdisaster2

#144 Post by mdisaster2 »

Some other findings:

- The shutdown option in the xfce start menu doesn't do anything. Shutdown from the right click menu and from the red button on the taskbar works fine though.

- Some dialogs are too large for the screen, this is especially the case with the setting dialogs of both xfce and compiz.

- Compiz setting dialogs seems to have another issue, when I click on a radio button to select a component a different component opens up. For example in order to disable the flames I had to click on the other effects until the flame options came up... I only saw this on compiz and emerald settings.

dinky

#145 Post by dinky »

@mdisaster2:

Thanks so much for your awesome, wonderful feedback! It's great to have you onboard... I'll answer as best I can. Much of this needs to be compiled into user docs, but right now I don't have the time.

1. Compiz-Fusion:
Agreed. Ccsm sucks on the eeepc (Compiz config settings manager), however, this is a known issue. There are various workarounds. eeeTiger includes two. For others, check out compiz-fusion on the eeepc forums from asus. Firstly, and what I use, when ccsm is open, press alt+right click (button 2), and select 'minimize window'. This will fix your cursor jumping and selecting the wrong thing. The second involves toggling to fullscreen with the shortcut key, see below.

2. Windows too large for screen:
Haven't found away around this, but there are a couple of cool workarounds.

The first is the 'toggle fullscreen' key that I find invaluable for the eeepc 701, as things are so small to begin with. This is super+F. (super is the home key to the left of the space bar, with a house on it.) Try it, you will like it. This sets most windows to the size of the screen, in glorious fullnes. While you usually can't access the panel bar in this mode, expo and scale plugins are still working. (see below for mouse shortcuts)

The second involves the expo shortcut (see below). When you zoom out to the unfolded triangles, you can select the part of the window off of the screen. Drag the mouse to the top left hand corner and you will see what I mean. This will work for all the windows that aren't happy with the fullscreen key. While Ccsm works with fullscreen, I often use expo because it's less buggy. Super+E will also zoom you out.

3. Mouse shortcuts:
There are 3 already set up in eeeTiger, though you could add more through ccsm.
1. Scale plugin - drag mouse cursor to top left hand corner. This will scale all windows that are open. I love it. Can also use Shift+alt+up arrow.
2. Expo plugin - described above, drag mouse cursor to top left corner and watch your windows zoom out. Super+E also works.
3. Screen saver - drag mouse cursor to bottom left of screen, will start the screensaver (flying windows)

4. Other useful key actions:
- Super+tab to rotate through all windows on a single desktop
- Super+alt+tab to rotate through ALL of your windows on EVERY desktop
- Super+F3 to make it snow (same to stop)
- shift+F9 to make water ripples appear (same to stop)
- shift+super+left mouse click (button 1) to paint fire. shift+super+c to clear it.
Plus heaps and heaps more. Go to TigerPup menu>settings>Compizconfig Settings Manager (ccsm) to find out what else can be done. (this is the part where you rtfm). Look at 'bindings' for each setting to see how to use them, then try them.

5. Screen is tiny, enlarge windows:
Another cool compiz-fusion shortcut. Have you found the scrollbar? On right hand side of mousepad. hold down the super key, and scroll up or down. You will either zoom into the screen, or zoom out. Move the mouse pointer around, and you will see the whole screen. You can even zoom into expo, or use the scale plugin in this mode. One of the single most useful things on eeetiger. Try it, you'll like it.

6. Splash screen. Very easy to disable. In the boot menu (either syslinux.conf, or grub, whichever you are using) add pfix=nosplash. You will get text instead of the splash. I'll keep the splash screen, but am thinking of disabling it myself.

7. Memory:
I'll have alook at my machines usage later... 800Mb makes no sense. The base system is only 257 Mb, which loads entirely into ram... making it very suitable for only 512 Mb. That said, TigerPup was designed for machines with at least 512Mb of Ram, and preferably with a swap file as well. Xfce works fine on eeepc with my 701 (only 512 Mb of ram, but I miss the swap space. I've created a workaround by formatting an external 1Gb SD card to a linux swap partition, which is read in the card reader at boot up. This makes it faster, though I'm considering upgrading my ram to 1Gb. All up, eeetiger is still MUCH faster than xandros, which comes with the cpu clocked down to 600Mhz for the 701. (don't ask me why)

8.Wbar:
Very unlikely it's crashed. You probably just minimized the desktop. Two ways to do this are by using the scale plugin (mouse top right corner) and clicking on the desktop, or by clicking the desk icon (show desktop button) on the panel menu. Both of these will make wbar, and the analogue clock, disappear. Click the show desktop button on the panel to restore them. If you want to disable wbar open /root/.xinitrc and comment out (add # in front of it) the line with wbar in it near the end of the file. Wbar will no longer launch when X starts.

9. Audio:
Should be working fine, otherwise this is a bug. Works on my eeepc. On startup is a bit soft, but after creating a save file roars loud and clear each bootup. Is it possible you missed it on your first two tries?

10. Hardware keys:
The are found by pressing the Fn key and F key with icon. Most work. Sleep doesn't. Wireless toggle does, though if you switch it off wireless will be down until you reboot, even if you turn it on again. You have to turn it off before you reboot as well for it to be recognized at bootup. Screen brightness keys work. Haven't tried F5 and F6, I think you need to be hooked up to an external monitor for that. Sound keys are hotkeyed with xbindkeys, as they don't work out of the box. Hit ctrl+F7 for mute, ctrl+F8 for volume down, and ctrl+F9 for volume up. Num Lock works, haven't tried Scroll Lock, Print Screen, or Sys Requirments. From Memory the last two need to be hotkeyed.

11. Pupmode 13:
Still working on it. I've actually got it working on my eeepc, but not in the remaster. Easy enough if you want to do it. Go to http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerp ... er/initfix and download the initrd.gz file. After creating a save file and booting from it, simply replace the old initrd.gz file with this one. Reboot, and open /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE you will find pupmode set to 13. Haven't sorted this for the remaster yet. Any ideas?

12. Webcam and microphone:
Haven't tried webcam. Microphone I've been unable to get working... there must be a way, will get back to you.

13. Xine and multimedia:
Firstly, there is a lightweight media player, it's called wxMusik. You can find it on the menu, or dockbar as Music Player. Put files in /root/my-documents/Multimedia/Music and it will play them.

Re Xine, odd, it works flawlessly on my machine. Well, lol, almost. The main issue is that the xshm driver, needed for compiz-fusion to work perfectly, crashes when I try it. So on my machine it works fine, though I can't zoom out or rotate the triangle without it looking weird. What exactly is happening, and is it from a clean boot, with no save file? I can play vob files from an external usb fine, and avi files. Haven't tried much else.

14. Shutdown works on my machine from the xfce (TigerPup Menu) menu. How are you trying it? Have you booted eeeTiger with the layerfs=aufs option?

Wish list:

- Will update to latest Opera for next edition. This will happen when TigerPup is updated, soon. Have had personal issues with the latest Opera, mainly that I don't like the new skin they chose, but am enjoying the new features. Web support for some pages sucks though.

- Will have a look at opera mini, though it's most likely to be as sfs add on.

- Bluetooth support sucks in linux. Period. Kmobiletools looks promising, which you could emulate under virtualbox. I'm not going to touch that one.

- What's gpsd?

- If you shut the lid while on battery power, the display powers down. I'd love a hotkey to do this, but need to research a bit. Any ideas?

- Pmirror is on there. Go to TigerPup Menu> File System> Puppy Mirror

- Xfce is fine for 512 Mb. Try it, you'll like it.

Thanks for your great feedback, and for prompting me to do this. I better get some real work done today. How did you get eeeTiger installed on the Sd flash card? I've not been having much luck, my eeepc won't recognise the files on it, though it boots from it alright... won't see the save file, and defaults to other puppy sfs files for booting. Cheers!
~dinky
p.s. uploading initrd.gz file shortly

mdisaster2

#146 Post by mdisaster2 »

@Dinky:

Thanks for all the Compiz tips. I am at work right now, later I'll try to apply them. I think I'll get a proper USB mouse as well.

As for the other points:

Memory: With 2Gb of RAM I see 800 Mb used from the monitor on the xfce4 bar (or maybe it is 1200 Mb free, I don't have the eee with me at the moment). I didn't try to validate this number though, so maybe the monitor is wrong (or possibly linux just likes to cache stuff ?)

Speed; I didn't realize that eeeTiger removes the 600 Mhz cap... I suspect Asus put it in to limit heat and improve the battery life, however I didn't notice eeetiger to get especially hot. Don't know about the battery because I'm running from the AC plug, will test it this evening.
BTW there is a module out there that controls the clock and the fan speed, maybe it could be worth looking into... I think it is called eeectl.

My subjective feeling is that eeeTiger doesn't feel as fast as the stripped Xandros I run on my eee (just icewm without all the asus launcher eyecandy). However I'm running Xandros from the internal SSD and eeeTiger from a SD card, maybe this makes a difference.

Audio works fine, now I hear the growl loud and clear on every boot. I did notice the Wxmusic preference files but I managed to miss Wxmusic itself. I'll report on Xine later, but basically all I see is a window with a big X and "No MRL is present" as the window title.

Pupmode: will try /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE with and without the new initrd, just to put my mind at peace (I am booting from external flash media with a USB interface -not a IDE adapter-, so why should PUPMODE=13 be disabled anyway?)

Shutdown from software always works for me, except from that one menu item (I didn't try the hardware button though). Actually the shutdown is fast, which is not the case with Xandros... my syslinux config was the default one liner created by the universal installer, to which i added "vga=785 layerfs=aufs". I didn't use "append" though, because the default config didn't have it before its own parms.

I don't like the new Opera skin either, but it takes just a couple of clicks to grab and install a better one...

I do agree that Opera Mini is better placed in a sfs, while the jar file itself is very small it runs on top of JRE plus another emulation layer, so it could bloat things too much for people who don't need it.
(but the sfs could be a lifesaver for 3G victims).

Xandros has decent bluetooth support, even in machines that don't have builtin bluetooth (must be the one thing they got right). It even recognized my no-name BT stick that I couldn't make work in Windows no matter how hard I tried... I do suspect that achieving the same in Puppy could be sort of painful though.

gpsd is the gps daemon, it talks with gps devices and serves data to gps applications such as navigators. It would be a nice thing to carry on the road... I think I saw a gpsd dotpup somewhere in this forum, or maybe it could be obtained from a slackware repository.
Of course most gps receivers nowadays come with bluetooth...

This is how I put eeeTiger on my SD card:
- put the card in a USB card reader.
- booted Puppy 3.01 on my desktop machine and ran the Universal Installer.
- selected USB media (like it was a regular USB stick).
- selected the mbr.bin option to make the card bootable.
- replaced the Puppy 3.01 files with the eeetiger files from the iso.
- fixed the syslinux config on the card as to your direction (added vga and aufs).

- then I just plugged the card reader into the eee and tapped the ESC key while booting. When the BIOS boot menu came out I selected the card reader as my boot device and everything went just fine. At shutdown I created a save file on the SD card and my settings stayed so it must have worked.

The card is a normal 1 Gb SD card (no SDHC), and came formatted as FAT16. I read of a lot of people who reported problems with the builtin card reader, apparently some eeePcs come with a subspec reader that can't really handle SDHC cards. I can't confirm this myself though.

Ok, lunchtime is over, back to work. More testing later... :)

dinky

#147 Post by dinky »

Thanks for the info about the sd card. I think I know what the problem was. Instead of choosing the usb flash option, I chose the cf card... for whatever reason this made it look for the files after booting on the internal sd card... will confirm this later.

Weird about Xine, please let me know what you find... it definitely works on my eeepc 701, could they be different? Will install later to the removable sd card and try also.

eeectl looks really interesting, but it would have to be ported to TigerPup, I think. Would be great to have. The main project is specific to Windows XP, though there is a linux kernel module available. Think this is also specific to Xandros. It seems to work by detecting the cpu drain, and switching to a higher cpu speed when needed. Would be very useful. They talk about 'overclocking' the cpu to 900Mhz, but my understanding is that's where the cpu actually is, everything else is underclocked. It would however be useful to have the cpu switch automatically when needed, or at the least have a module loaded that lets you do it manually. This is getting out of my depth however, and would take alot of work. Might be a project for later.

Speed. Yeah, you might be right. I think that's more in the setup though... for instance, open office opens quite fast in Xandros, compared to open office as an sfs extension in TigerPup... however there are still more features in TigerPup I'd rather not live without...lol. Anyway, apart from that, doing anything in xandros that doesn't use the stripped back setup, and uses actual cpu... i.e. transferring files, compiling, etc.... it's so slow!!!! Prefer TigerPup anyday... I'm also fairly sure that the other versions of puppy that are designed for the eeepc don't underclock, and I haven't found nay complaints so far.

Memory. When you have the save file created, genmon on the panel tells you how much space is left in the save file, has nothing to do with actual memory. I'm pretty sure that when you boot TigerPup into ram, then it's telling you how much space you have to play with... ie unused ram + swap files... will have to confirm this for booting into ram, but the save file one is correct.

Thanks for the tip about opera skins... but I must be blind, where do I find more skins to add? (edit, just found them, I was blind. Will definitely update TigerPup, and eeetiger soon. They deserve some time playing with them...lol)

Gpsd and bluetooth sound like neat ideas, and I'd welcome their integration into both TigerPup and eeetiger. I'm unlikely to play with them anytime soon though, they are just not a high priority. If you or anyone else are able to, that would be great.

Ok, back to work. Cheers!
~dinky

mdisaster2

#148 Post by mdisaster2 »

Some other findings:

I put the SD card in the builtin reader, it booted fine but I had a crash on shutdown and after that one the pupsave file was so broken it crashed Windows when I tried to right click on it. Will try tomorrow with a fresh install, but from now I'll be booting from the external reader, just to be on the safe side.

I don't remember which tool I was checking my memory with, but I doubt it was gfmon - for one thing it does say that it shows the free space, and besides there is no way I could have 1200 Mb free running from a 1Gb card. This time I checked again with the xfce system profiler, and it told me that I was only using about 280 Mb (and gfmon gave me 500 Mb of free disk space, which makes sense). Maybe the first time I had not saved the pupfile yet and Puppy was keeping all the stuff in memory ?

As I suspected eeeTiger was already running in PUPMODE=13 when booting from the SD card. I think that the fixed initrd is only needed for running eeeTiger from the internal SSD, which probably pretends it's an IDE hard disk or something.

I didn't find Music Player in either the menus or the task bar (maybe it is in wbar?), but I started wxMusik from the console. Unfortunately the sound was horribly broken (like it was mixed with an helicopter), and when I tried to run the ALSA setup I totally lost the audio. I'll test again tomorrow though, I'm not sure I haven't screwed up something myself.

Xine is still a no go, all I see is the big Xine logo in the window and some blue colormap artifacts when I move the window around. I just realized that I could have run it from the console and checked out the messages...

Talking about menus, shouldn't Opera be in the Internet menu ?

That's all for tonight, more stuff tomorrow.

PS: not sure I am up to the job of setting up bluetooth, but I'll give a try to gpsd if I can put my hands on a USB receiver to test it with.

dinky

#149 Post by dinky »

wxMusik should be in the menu... I'll have to fix that... same with Opera in the right place. wxMusik does work, you'll need to change the driver though, I forgot to change that in eeetiger... like I said, it was rushed. Please do run xine in the console, that doesn't make sense to me.
Cheers.
~dinky

dinky

eeetiger thread moved

#150 Post by dinky »

eeetiger has it's own thread now! Go to: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 578#215578

Please put any new postings for eeetiger there, and questions for TigerPup on the eeepc. This thread will remain the place for TigerPup in general. Cheers!
~dinky

runtt21

clock

#151 Post by runtt21 »

How can I get rid of the analog clock?

dinky

#152 Post by dinky »

@runtt21
I'm assuming you mean permanently. Go to TigerPup Menu>Settings>Autostarted Applications and untick Clock (Analogue Clock). This will stop it starting on reboot, and launching X. To just disable it for a session, right click and Quit.

runtt21

thanks

#153 Post by runtt21 »

Thanks for the reply,yes you 're corret,I want it gone.

recycler

what a Great Puppy

#154 Post by recycler »

Thanks for Tigerpup :) really like it....
all going well on a P3 and two P4s - very impressed with the 3D effects. One machine boots it from a USB pen with a wakepup floppy (motherboard no longer supports hard drives) and two frugal installs. 3D cards are Nvidia 5200FX

Truly a puppy with power!
[i][quote] [/quote]
[/i]Puppy 412 and 430

dinky

#155 Post by dinky »

Hi recycler, glad you like it! I'm working on the next release now. If you have any feature requests, I'd love to hear them. Cheers!
~dinky

recycler

Tiger Pup

#156 Post by recycler »

It seems Tigerpup is very good on graphics so I suggest you develop that. My children enjoy using The Gimp so would be good to still have that. I am very taken by Opera so please keep that. A favourite addition of mine to puppy is 'picassa'. I was very pleased to find it as a PET since I first started using it through Wine which is alays a bit fiddly. I like the way that Tigerpup fits on a mini cd - are you planning to keep it a similar size and is it still based on the 3 series puppy? Personally one thing I appreciated was that it sucessfuly installed my Xscrabble.pup package - it rarely works now - missing libraries

My wish list for the next Tigerpup has only one essential thing on it though - Amarok. I was using it on a different linux distro this week and was very impressed with the range of visualizations it could do. If it is possible to make it work with Puppy that would be impressive. I have no idea how difficult that could be so it is just a wild idea so far as I'm concerned.

But Thanks for Asking! And I look forward to seeing the next version - however it turns out.

ps also showed tigerpup to a fellow fan of Puppy Linux here in Coromandel (New Zealand). They were extremely impressed too. :)
[i][quote] [/quote]
[/i]Puppy 412 and 430

dinky

#157 Post by dinky »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, Amarok is a great program. I don't think it's hard for it to run in puppy, though as it's kde based you'll need to be running kde also... that can get messy, and very big. I'm unlikely to unclude this in TigerPup, as it would mean switching to a kde desktop environment instead of xfce... thus slowing it down, and making the size huge. There are kde sfs addons around though, it wouldn't be hard to download and try one... it's possible they might already have amarox in them.

I'm wanting to keep TigerPup's small size, and am thinking seriously about shrinking it. I may end up basing it around an sfs file add-on, so that the base size is very small, with an sfs file for lots of extras and added functionality. Still have to test that idea out... we'll see...

Currently I'm planning for the next release to be based on puppy 3.01, but after that will be looking at rebuilding from unleashed in Puppy 4. Thanks again for the feedback!
~dinky

jeepinpete

#158 Post by jeepinpete »

Dinky, is there a way to get the rotating cube effect when switching desktops? I've tried playing with settings-compizconfig settings manager. The rotating cube option is checked, but doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

As a matter of fact, some of the other effects in compiz seems to not to be working either, such as wobbly windows...

Thanks,
Pete

dinky

#159 Post by dinky »

Hi Pete... interesting... I wonder if Compiz-Fusion is enabled at all. Easiest way to check it to look at your windows. Do yu have mac-like traffic light window buttons in the top left of your window frame, or x and o's in the top right? If it's the second, Compiz-Fusion isn't enabled.

Re rotating cube for switching desktops, that's easy. Hit ctrl+alt+right arrow. This will rotate the cube as it switches to another desktop.
Linux is a multi desktop operating system by default. However, Compiz-Fusion works by recognising one desktop, and creating that a a cube, thereby splitting it into 4. I.e., if you choose 2 desktops under Xfce settings, you will then have 2 cubes... each with 4 destops. You can also set the shape of yur desktops quite easily.... 3 for a 3 dimensional triangle, 6 for a hexagon... etc. Not sure what the maximum is but it's alot. Let me know how you go.
~dinky

ragaman

Wbar Question

#160 Post by ragaman »

Hi, dinky. I'm really impressed with the tigerpup. It's now installed on my laptop. However, I have a question. How do I make the wbar appear on top of all the other windows? When I have an application window open, the wbar stays below/behind it so i have to minimize all open windows in order to use the wbar.

Another problem was the Flash Player for Opera/Firefox. I tried installing it but i would get this error:

ERROR: Your glibc library is older than 2.3.
Please update your glibc library.

I successfully installed this package from debian repository:

glibc-source_2.7-10_all.deb

but still get the same error. How do I update glibc?

Thanks and more power to you.