TigerPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dinky

#121 Post by dinky »

Much of that is similar to mine. My goal is to create a light (for modern computers...lol) full-featured system that can be extended with sfs add-ons. I'll create some that will turn it into what I normally use, as well as other sfs add ons that others can build their own. All available now with puppy, but the point is making it easy. Can you send me the link to that text-to-speech program? I haven't seen that one. Have a friend that would love it.

I haven't included Gxine in TigerPup since... version 1.2? What's there is Xine-ui, a very different and (imho) much better program. Xine is the backend, much like mplayer is the backend for gmplayer, etc. Xine-ui is another frontend to Xine. I've found it feature rich, easier than mplayer to use, and it works with compiz-fusion. You need to set the settings for the video drivers to "driver-xshm" for this to work properly. There are still the odd gxine folders, but I've removed most of it. If you really want to get rid of it, try pet-be-gone, and after that search everything saying "xine" and remove it.

Have just been playing with the eeepc tonight, with a few tweaks works great. Am going to try and build this into the next release of TigerPup. Wish me luck.
~dinky

Archie

#122 Post by Archie »

Bugs?? I'm not sure if these are bugs or whether they've been reported, but I'd like to note two things that I found. (1) When I right-click the Trash icon on the desktop to empty it, the confirmation dialog always goes behind windows that were already opened. I am referring to the focus of the confirmation dialog. (2) Occasionally, when I open Thunar, it would just keep "Loading folder contents". This would happen both when I don't have Show Hidden Files on and/or type in a location of a hidden folder. It also happens when I try to access different disk partitions.

I'm not sure how you can replicate this problem or whether it is a unique/hardware-specific issue or something.

Perhaps, wNOP and TigerPup should have a section for bug reports.

dinky

#123 Post by dinky »

For now this is the bug section. Not sure abut either of those... haven't had a problem with the loading content before... not sure what to say.

Re the windows dialogue, I
m ure that's a setting, but again unsure how to change it. Ask at an xfce or compiz-fusion forum, and let us know if you figure it out. Cheers!
~dinky

jtouso

Tiger 1.6 and Ati-Radeon X2300

#124 Post by jtouso »

Dinky:
How to use TigerPup 1.6 (last version) with ATI new graphic chart as my notebook with Ati-Radeon X2300?
Thanks

dinky

#125 Post by dinky »

Hi jtouso, welcome aboard. What troubles are you having? You need to be more specific. Initially burning TigerPup as a live cd is a good idea, have you tried this? Will it boot up, will it recognise your card, etc. Cheers,
~dinky

jtouso

#126 Post by jtouso »

Of course!
I have download and burn Tigerpup. In live mode all ok until it arrives to xorg. I use the vesa driver because with ati-fglrx the screen goes again to #. If I use xwin, again #. I need to change to vesa driver to open TigerPup but without using compiz. This is the question. My graphic chart is a new one X2300 and I think the fglrx driver don't recognize it.
May you help me, please?

kattami

#127 Post by kattami »

Hi.

First, would like to say that tigerpup is a really cool distro. Great to use on travels :-)

Im posting because there is an issue with Pidgin, that started today.

Pidgin doesnt want to log in to icq. Several linux versions has this problem. There is a

patch for this issue. Pidgin has to be recompiled with this patch included in the source.

Since I read that you, Dinky, want to create an easy to use distro with tigerpup, I thought you would like to know of this and patch the Pidgin in tigerpup. So it works again with icq.

kattami

Edit: by the way its very cool that tigerpup is being prepared to work with eeepc. Will most likely get an eeepc myself, since it is just now coming to my country.

Its perfect for travels, just like tigerpup was for me on my travel that I did just now. There was wireless at all the places I was at and it was like a dream to set up the wireless in RutilT wireless gadget and then I just let it be open on desktop when I shut down the laptop. Next time I booted up the RutilT window came up as it was when I shut down, and all I did was to connect the profile I had set up before.

Thats perfect! :-)

dinky

#128 Post by dinky »

Hi Katami, glad you like it! I('m writing this on my eeepc now, works great. Will most liely be releasing a verion of TigerPup specifically for the eeepc, there are too many changes too make additional pet packages easy... working really well, only a few bugs. Thanks for the tip about pidgin, I'll look into it for future releases. Can you send me a link to the threads you've read about this, and/or possibly the patch? Are you able to compile and create a patched version of pidgin for us, as a pet package?

@jtouso:

Not sure what too say, except that you're best bet is to go to the wNOP forums and ask there. All the scripts for Compiz-Fusion come from wNOP, and tombh has a much better grasp on that than I do. They are very friendly, tell themn you're using TigerPup. Similar to wNOP, but more features and regular updates to programs than wNOP currently. Can you let us know when you find a solution? Basically, you need to get xorg working for Compiz-Fusion, Xvesa won't do it. I'm unable to help you anymore than that. Good luck.
~dinky

Flash858

Panel question

#129 Post by Flash858 »

First off, let me say that I just love Tiger Pup! It has been my base OS on my ancient PIII Toshiba laptop since I found it. It has really brought that old machine back to life!

There is just one small item I would like to change, that being the panels. In XFCE (and granted I have limited experience with it), I thought there was the option to make the panels transparent, or colored, and I just do not like the texture as I feel it totally clashes with the otherwise glassy, glossy, liquid feel of the rest of the desktop.

Is there a file I need to edit to achieve a normal background on the panel?
Please advise, and thanks for a great distro. Keep up the good work!

dinky

#130 Post by dinky »

Hi Flash858, glad you like it! Yes, the panel is an acquired taste at times...lol. Changing it is easy though unfortunately making it transparent will make everything transparent, don't think there's a way around that. You can change the panel look by going to TigerPup menu (penguin apple icon on panel bar, or right click desktop), settings, setting manager, then user interface. CHange the theme, and the panel will change. You can do things like autohide the panel, set transparency, etc, by going to TigerPup Menu>Settings>Settings Manager>Panel, and setting appropriiate items. I've found difficulty with the autohide, it doesn't always work. Haven't looked into it past that though. Enjoy!
~dinky

kattami

#131 Post by kattami »

dinky wrote:Hi Katami, glad you like it! I('m writing this on my eeepc now, works great. Will most liely be releasing a verion of TigerPup specifically for the eeepc, there are too many changes too make additional pet packages easy... working really well, only a few bugs. Thanks for the tip about pidgin, I'll look into it for future releases. Can you send me a link to the threads you've read about this, and/or possibly the patch? Are you able to compile and create a patched version of pidgin for us, as a pet package?
Unfortunately, I cant do the compiling and pet packages. If i could, I wouldnt even post in here about things that doesnt work, since I am the type who like to do things by my own.

As for links talking about this issue with pidgin:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=488852

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/244591

Here is a blog that talks about the issue, solution for windows, and also solution for Ubuntu. And that pidgin has released version 2.4.3 to fix that issue.

I guess the only thing is to wait for someone to compile pidgin version 2.4.3 and then put it in your Tigerpup as bugfix. And I really, really hope you do that in the Tigerpup eeepc version too :-)

Its very nice to have contact with all the friends on travels with that little laptop.....

dinky

#132 Post by dinky »

No street cred around here for keeping bugs, and fixes, to yourself. If you work out how to fix something, let us know!!!!

Thanks for the tips, I'll either compile the latest pidgin and add it to tigerpup, or include someone else's. See who gets to it first. What are you using now on the eepc for an os? I've wiped Xandros now, and happily. TigerPup works really well, and is a heck of alot more secure with encryption.
~dinky

jonathanbe

#133 Post by jonathanbe »

Hi,

I was using compiz for a while but decided to disable it by selecting "xfce" instead of selecting the driver for my graphics card during the xorgwizard. I was wondering if there is a way of enabling compiz again as going through the xorgwizard and selecting my graphics card doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

Jon

dinky

#134 Post by dinky »

Hi Jonathonbe, should be fairly easy. Which version of TigerPup are you using? On the panel there is the hammer icon. Click it (nothing will seem to happen), then kill X. (ctrl+alt+bckspce) Type

Code: Select all

xorgwizard
and follow the prompts. Should fix it for you!
~dinky

jeepinpete

Not a smooth install

#135 Post by jeepinpete »

I want to thank you for taking the time to create Tiger, I like it, A LOT! But I had some issues getting it up and running that you might be interested in.

I was running it off the CD, and it took a few tries to xorg set up with the right video driver (ATI). But after picking it manually by trial and error, all was good. I played with Tiger for a bit, then decided to do a full install. That went fine, until I got to xorgwizard.

Since I did the full install a couple nights later, I didn't remember how I got it working right. No big deal, there aren't that many options. But no matter what I tried, I could not get xorg to work, only xvesa. I played with this for a few hours, then did some more reading on the forums. I tried to manually change the xorg.conf file, and rc.* to prevent xorgwizard from running. This didn't work either, since every time I booted the machine, my xorg.conf file would be renamed, and a new xorg.conf file created (xorgwizard did not run).

At this point I decided I must have screwed something up, so I went back to the CD. I booted from the CD to ram, went though the setup, got it wrong, tried again, and noticed that the screen resolution and video adapter that xorgwizard found the previous time were not there, ie it listed them as unknown.

This was the a-hah moment. I rebooted to ram again, manually picked the video driver, and low and behold Tiger came up using xorg. So I proceeded to do another full install, configured xorg right the first time, and here I am :D

Now, a question. Has anyone gotten the swiftfox browser to work in Tiger? I did the install per their website, its says everything is good, but when I go to run it, a dialog box flashes up on the screen and disappears. Nothing in it that I can see. Any idea?

Thanks,
Pete

dinky

#136 Post by dinky »

hi Pete, thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated. I've never tried TigerPup on a full install, so I can only guess that there are issues with this. wNOP (which TigerPup currently is based on) also seems to have similar issues with a full install, it might be worthwhile also posting your findings there.

For the record, I haven't created TigerPup to be used with a full install. There are a few reasons for this, but even though puppy seems to be faster on a full install, I consider a frugal install a much better option. If anything goes wrong on a frugal install, replace a few files (sometimes only 1), and you are fixed. Also, it is much harder for a 'cracker' to do any permanent damage to your system. while I don't consider running as root on a frugal install much of an issue, I DO consider it a safety risk on a full intall. As such I'm unlikely to support this feature in TigerPup in it's current state.

What's the swiftfox browser? I've never heard of it. I'll look it up and see what I come up with. Thanks for your great feedback!
~dinky

edit: great find Pete, swiftfox looks really interesting. Hoow have you tried to install it? Did you use the installer, their deb package, or the tarball. Firefox installs very easily if you just want it to run, extract the tarball, click on the firefox icon, and away you go. Swiftfox seems to be very similar, though I'm having problems with it crashing after opening... will have to play around with it more. I'm not sure how I'd go about including it in TigerPup,, as it's made specific for the processor you're running.... might be a very useful addon though. Can you try running the executable from a terminal, and post the output here when it crashes again? Also, what hardware/architecture are you using? Let me know how you go.

jeepinpete

Firefox and Swiftfox

#137 Post by jeepinpete »

I tried the Swiftfox install script, and ended up with everything extracted to a /opt directory, and an icon in the network menu. But it would just flash a screen outline. I then tried extracting a tarball, same result. I ran swiftfox from the command line and got the following:

./swiftfox-bin: symbol lookup error: ./libxul.so: undefined symbol: g_once_init_enter_impl

I have no idea what that means, so I went ahead and extracted firefox. Firefox seems to be working fine, other than the small font issue.

As far as hardware goes, I am running on an older Emachines M5312 notebook. AMD Athlon XP processor, 512MB of memory, Broadcom wireless chipset, etc. What has impressed me so much with Puppy in general is how everything worked out of the box, unlike my experience with Ubuntu.

As far as security, the only thing I do with this machine is browse the web, and a bit of photo editing. With the firewall running on the machine and on the router, I am not worried about being hacked...

Pete

dinky

#138 Post by dinky »

Hi Pete, had a look into swiftfox last night, and had the same errors as you. Spent some time searching the swiftfox forums, and found this seems to be a common problem. Even tried uninstalling firefox 3, and replacing it with the 2 series, as swiftfox uses some of the same libraries as firefox. No luck. Gave up in the end. As far as I can work out, the latest project release seems broken. I'll give it a try again in future versions. While Opera is included by default with TigerPup, I'm unable to use it for all my browsing needs; there are just too many pages it won't support properly. I still prefer it though, I find opera very fast and intuitive. So on my system I'm running firefox from an extracted tarball. Hopefully future releases fo swiftfox will have better support.

Re security, sounds like you are sorted. I would still consider using pbackup though to make regular backups... too easy to stuff things up... good luck.
~dinky

dinky

eeetiger

#139 Post by dinky »

Hi folks, pleased to announce my first release of eeetiger is being uploaded to my server as I type! This is TigerPup 1.6 totally customised for the eeepc. You can get it here: http://www.curiouslegends.com.au/tigerpup/eeetiger/

I'm still fixing bugs, but eeetiger includes:

- all hardware working for the asus eeepc
- wireless working, ethernet loaded (haven't tested)
- screen resolution adjusted
- compiz-fusion specific to the small screen (hotkeys for toggling windows fullscreen, easy zoom function enabled), desktop as a triangle, on two layers for windows that insist on being oversized
- everything else from TigerPup 1.6!

I've posted this as an iso, though have not tried booting it as such from a cd drive. It might even work...
I'd suggest extracting the files vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup_301eeetiger.sfs, and zdrv_301.sfs. These are the main ones you will need. Easy option: copy them to your sd internal drive with the eeepc and set up grub to find them on boot. Another easy option: create a bootable sd flash card or usb stick from any puppy 3.01 distro, then replace the above files. You'll need to set your syslinux.conf (or something similar) to "append vga=785 layerfs=aufs".

This is rushed, I'll post more of a how to later. Post below if you need more help. Also, I'm still sorting out pupmode13, so eeetiger only saves once every 30 minutes, instead of continually. I've fixed it on mine, but haven't been able to get it into the remaster yet. Will post a work around in the next few days. Cheers!
~dinky

mdisaster2

#140 Post by mdisaster2 »

Awesome, thanks !

Couple of questions while waiting for the download to finish 8)

- what's the md5sum of the iso ?

- did you adjust the screen resolution for the eeepc701 (800x480) or the eeepc 900 (1024*600) ?