pMusic 6.0.0

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
DreamsToGo
Location: Castelnaudary, south France, World Capital of Cassoulet

#41 Post by DreamsToGo »

zigbert wrote:DreamsToGo
If $PLAYLIST and $SS keeps any value (and I guess they do), Please try another way to start ffmpeg.

Code: Select all

echo "exec ffmpeg -i "$PLAYLIST" -ss $SS -f au - 2>> $WORKDIR/pmusic-ffmpeg_output | aplay" > $WORKDIR/pmusic-exec
chmod 700 $WORKDIR/pmusic-exec
. $WORKDIR/pmusic-exec &
This replaces the ffmpeg-line after hello8
Sigmund

That worked! Song added and played.

Hilary

DreamsToGo

#42 Post by DreamsToGo »

zigbert wrote:Discussion

Are you one of those who collects mp3s in directory structure like /Artist/Album/Song.mp3. I have a suggestion of how to 'index' content of directories: During indexing, pmusic can make playlists of content of every directory. If we name these playlists with name-of-directories.pmd, they will show up in index list, but not interfere with the standard m3u files.

I use here an example of the well known band 'Puppies' and their album 'The Kennel'. The mp3s are saved in /private/music/Puppies/The Kennel/*mp3.
There are several models:
1. User indexes the directory /private/music/, so Pmusic will use this as its startpoint. Every music file in /private/music/Puppies/The Kennel/ are applied to the playlist 'Puppies - The kennel.mpd'. This gives a nice overview of your music, but it's easy to see what happens when user indexes / to find all music on system.... The name 'Private - Music - Puppies - The Kennel' is not what we want.
2. A simpler model is to just accept directories that contains music files. We will never get strange names, but our songs from The Puppies album will only be named with 'The kennel.mpd'
3. As nr 1, but now with the option to define how deep Pmusic should dig in the directory structure. This would give a more flexible indexing, but also a lot harder to understand for an average user who don't like talking about file structure at all.
4. So maybe the most logical solution would be to simply include a 'Add all' button in the open-dialog.
5. Or maybe you got some better ideas...

Sigmund
Sigmund,

From our previous discussions, I prefer option 4.
I just want to be able to select a directory, click add-all and ALL the songs in that directory and any subdirectories get added to the list.
Note that directories will contain files that are not music, eg album covers.

I don't use playlists, so I don't want my system cluttered up with them, and I'm not interested in indexing the collection. With the Library/Artist/Album directory structure it is already indexed and a directory is in effect a playlist.. I don't use tags either. I rarely, if ever, mix up music from different artists.

zigbert

#43 Post by zigbert »

version 0.1.2 is uploaded
See main post

I have included an 'add all' button in the open dialog. This doesn't mean we also can index the directories. I want to hear your opinion. Here's my initial discussion post:

########################################

Discussion

Are you one of those who collects mp3s in directory structure like /Artist/Album/Song.mp3. I have a suggestion of how to 'index' content of directories: During indexing, pmusic can make playlists of content of every directory. If we name these playlists with name-of-directories.pmd, they will show up in index list, but not interfere with the standard m3u files.

I use here an example of the well known band 'Puppies' and their album 'The Kennel'. The mp3s are saved in /private/music/Puppies/The Kennel/*mp3.
There are several models:
1. User indexes the directory /private/music/, so Pmusic will use this as its startpoint. Every music file in /private/music/Puppies/The Kennel/ are applied to the playlist 'Puppies - The kennel.mpd'. This gives a nice overview of your music, but it's easy to see what happens when user indexes / to find all music on system.... The name 'Private - Music - Puppies - The Kennel' is not what we want.
2. A simpler model is to just accept directories that contains music files. We will never get strange names, but our songs from The Puppies album will only be named with 'The kennel.mpd'
3. As nr 1, but now with the option to define how deep Pmusic should dig in the directory structure. This would give a more flexible indexing, but also a lot harder to understand for an average user who don't like talking about file structure at all.
4. So maybe the most logical solution would be to simply include a 'Add all' button in the open-dialog.
5. Or maybe you got some better ideas...

Sigmund

ttuuxxx

#44 Post by ttuuxxx »

markofkane wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
markofkane wrote:well, it messed up my computer. Now I cannot play any music. Gxine won't work anymore.

:evil:

Edit: It might be because I updated Seamonkey, now i get the stupid:

error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot
open shared object file: No such file
or directory
Here's your libmozjs for puppy 4.0 it will automatically install :)
into /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.8/libmozjs.so
ttuuxxx
Didn' t work. :(
Have you tried to reinstall the original seamonkey overtop ?
http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/pet ... ilnews.pet

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

DreamsToGo

#45 Post by DreamsToGo »

Sigmund,

Thanks for the updated version and the add-all button - works great, no system hangs either.

Don't forget to change the version number in the title window and help sections!

Hilary

markofkane

#46 Post by markofkane »

Thanks, but I started over. I'll have to think twice before I try to update Seamonkey to the latest version,, because it breaks Gxine, (I mean version 1.1.10)

ttuuxxx wrote:Have you tried to reinstall the original seamonkey overtop ?
http://www.puppylinux.ca/puppyfiles/pet ... ilnews.pet

ttuuxxx

markofkane

#47 Post by markofkane »

I just tried the new Pmusic 0.1.2-TR

It did play the songs, and I was able to make a playlist. However, after making the playlist (it took a long time and lots of CPU and memory) it would play, but none of the buttons or options worked. I tried to save the playlist, but it did not. (It did not even work on reboot)

So I looked into where Pmusic was installed, found the playlist there, copied it, and opened the playlist in Gxine. Gxine works, but thanks to Pmusic for creating my playlist for me. I had 3000+ songs, and they were in a lot of different folders and would have taken me forever to add them all manually.

But, at least I got my playlist. (I'll try any more update to Pmusic, but I'm backing up my playlist)

zigbert

#48 Post by zigbert »

markofkane

If you made a playlist with 3000 songs, gtkdialog would be like a slow snail. Everytime you push a button that require an update of the playlist, gtkdialog will keep on "forever". (and maybe freeze). I never thought of this kind of use of Pmusic. If Gxine works for you, that absolutely great, but it would be nice to hear if Pmusic works after disable the playlist in the preferences dialog.

Sigmund

markofkane

#49 Post by markofkane »

I opened it, and it won't even let me clear the playlist. I suppose I could delete it in the pmusic folder.

(That's what I wanted all along, was a program that imported all songs like Windows Media Player or Winamp does)

Edit, I got it to clear, and it plays one song just fine!! :D

I got it to play 2 songs. What's the limit?

Thanks!!

peppyy

#50 Post by peppyy »

Tested on 3.01 full HD install with a thousand extra libs.

Runs well but high cpu usage +/- 8% just idle
Plays streaming files.
plays long files fine. 1 hour tested.

When Loading playlists from other programs, (.pls) which have 2 extra lines
one called playlist
one called Number of entries = (n)
any song selected and pressing play causes a loop.
pressing stop several time quickly stops the loop but no play.

imported m3u playlists seem to work fine :)

Seems to have a problem with the directory listings. When the playlist is in the same directory with no path it works.

Several crashes on stop, (Gui only)

Progress indicator hangs and jumps on some mp3s
Skip forward causes ffmpeg to max the processor.
also several clicks occasionally starts a second playback at another spot.

Suggestions:
Drag and drop to playlist.
Color themes other than red.
Drag to position in file.

Looks very promising from a XMMS fan.
The main reason I have been using XMMS was for it's minimal cpu usage and it's fast indexing.

I hope this is helpful.
~Pep
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

zigbert

#51 Post by zigbert »

peppyy
Thanks for great feedback

1. pls files are not tested :oops:
2. If m3u with directories fails for you, please test more and report back. It works for me.
3. Your notes on progress bar and cpu-usage are mentioned in the main post.
4. drag'n drop and a slider is something we both wish, but gtkdialog is limited. To change the red, just use other *.png in /usr/local/pmusic.

zigbert

#52 Post by zigbert »

peppyy
I'm looking right now at the pls-support. I thought that gxine used pls, but that format looked as something else. My playlist file looks like this:

<ASX VERSION="3.0">
  <SETTINGS REPEAT="false" RANDOM="false"/>
  <ENTRY>
    <TITLE default="y">TNT - Nothern lights</TITLE>
    <REF HREF="file:///root/TNT%20-%20Nothern%20lights.mp3"/>
  </ENTRY>
  <ENTRY>
    <TITLE default="y">Whitesnake - Here I go again</TITLE>
    <REF HREF="file:///root/Whitesnake%20-%20Here%20I%20go%20again.mp3"/>
  </ENTRY>
</ASX>
Googling the pls format gave me this syntax:

[playlist]
   File1=C:\My Music\Pink Floyd\1979---The_Wall_CD1\1.In_The_Flesh.mp3
   Title1=Pink Floyd - In The Flesh
   Length1=199
   File2=C:\My Music\Pink Floyd\1979---The_Wall_CD1\10.One_Of_My_Turns.mp3
   Title2=Pink Floyd - One Of My Turns
   Length2=217
   NumberOfEntries=2
   Version=2
Do you know anything about this?
What program do you use to make pls-file?
What playlist format are common? I have only used m3u.

Sigmund

zigbert

#53 Post by zigbert »

markofkane wrote:Edit, I got it to clear, and it plays one song just fine!! :D

I got it to play 2 songs. What's the limit?

Thanks!!
How many songs Pmusic handles well in the playlist depends on your machinery. My laptop with 1.7 Ghz cpu works ok with 300 songs in the playlist. I see your point (This is how the latest winamp works, since it doesn't index your music), and I'll put it into the wish-list. The todo-list is for issues I know how to fix, and the wish-list is for those I don't have any solution for right now :oops: . But since we humans seems to learn all the time, that can change any minute :)

Sigmund

zigbert

#54 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.3
See main post

markofkane

#55 Post by markofkane »

cool, thanks!!

plinej

#56 Post by plinej »

Very nice, 0.1.3 is working great on my system.

plinej

#57 Post by plinej »

By the way, I can play flac files using ffmpeg & aplay like this:

ffmpeg -i mule080309d1_01_John_The_Revelator.flac -f au - | aplay

I'm using the standard Puppy 4 ffmpeg. Are you not able to?

zigbert

#58 Post by zigbert »

This is what I got when trying to play a flac. It should be said that I only got ONE album with flac files, so I haven't tested widely. I just accepted that it wouldn't work.

Are there several versions of the flac format?
Do you have any knowledge on this area?

# ffmpeg -i ./08\ -\ No.\ 30\ in\ E\ major\,\ Op.\ 109\ II.\ Prestissimo.flac -f au - | aplay
FFmpeg version SVN-rUNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/man --disable-debug --arch=i386 --enable-libmp3lame --enable-liba52 --enable-libogg --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-small --enable-gpl --enable-shared --enable-pp
  libavutil version: 49.5.0
  libavcodec version: 51.44.0
  libavformat version: 51.14.0
  built on Oct 23 2007 22:05:00, gcc: 4.2.2
./08 - No. 30 in E major, Op. 109 II. Prestissimo.flac: Unknown format
aplay: playback:2018: read error
# 

tempestuous

#59 Post by tempestuous »

zigbert, I did this -

ffmpeg -i /mnt/sdb1/test.flac -f au - | aplay
and it worked fine ... although there was a 5 second wait before the track started.
I guess that's the cost of using such a large application as ffmpeg.
Using the flac application (in Puppy4.1alpha) works much better -

flac -d /mnt/sdb1/test.flac -c | aplay
Playback is instant.

Then I tried Pmusic 0.1.3. At first launch it went into some form of loop and I had to restart X.
The second time it launched OK. When I tried to load the same flac file as before, the load dialogue stayed onscreen and no sound. In the terminal I could see various error messages.

Then ffmpeg or aplay were messed up. The same ffmpeg command that I could run earlier no longer worked, giving this error message

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Killed

plinej

#60 Post by plinej »

flac -d /mnt/sdb1/test.flac -c | aplay
That works for me too. I didn't have any delay on my system with ffmpeg though. I also have some flac files that won't play in audacious so I'm guessing maybe it's what is used to encode them. I'm always able to decode them with flac though so tempestuous' soultion should work in all cases.