Problems with WLAN Profiles and Configuration is not saved

ApG

Problems with WLAN Profiles and Configuration is not saved

#1 Post by ApG »

Hi,

i have some Problems with the WLAN Configuration.

First of all the Card is installed with a Windows Driver. All is OK. I can scan my Network, but then begin the problems.

I scan, then click WPA/TKIP and set the key. Then save this profile and click use this profile. Puppy tries to connect and say unable to connect. After that i scan again and without click the wpa/tkip button and fill a key i save this profile (looks like WEP) under another name an say use this profile. Then puppy test the wlan and the say puppy is able to connect to a live network. After that i set static ip and gateway and i am online.

After reboot all settings are away. I have to do it again. But i can't use only one profile. I always connect first the WPA/TKIP profile and then the WEP and after that it works fine.

What is wrong?

I use Puppy 4.00 as full hd installation, but with 3.01 from CD i have the same problems with the connection (do it twice).

Thanks ApG

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#2 Post by urban soul »

After you are connected please do this:

Code: Select all

iwconfig
and post the results here.

davids45

#3 Post by davids45 »

G'day ApG,
If you are using a Windows driver for WPA....

"First of all the Card is installed with a Windows Driver."

.. then you may be using wpa_supplicant.config with ndiswrapper (which I am using for my WPA network and ralink cards).

Your problem sounds like the WPA passkey is not being saved correctly in the /etc/wpa_supplicant.config file, or the profile is not being saved correctly by the wizard in some other way.

If you are using a Windows driver and ndiswrapper, I suggest you check that the wpa_supplicant config file has your correct wireless network details. If it has the wrong information, edit this file to the correct passkey and essid, save it, re-boot and see if it is still OK.

Good luck with your problem.

David S.

ApG

#4 Post by ApG »

Hi,

@urban soul

here is the result of iwconfig

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"Network"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:17:9A:66:E6:B9
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:10 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key: .... Key
Security mode:restricted
Power Management:off
Link Quality:70/100 Signal level:-51 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Hab das Problem auch mal in einen Thread im deutschsprachigen Teil gestellt.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30859

@davids45

here is the wpa_supplicant.conf file

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=2
update_config=1

network={
ssid="ApG"
psk=...key
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP

I have change the Key but there ist the rigt one with a lot of letters and numbers. I think it looks OK.

ApG

urban soul

#5 Post by urban soul »

Ok, you can proceed to track the err by using the command line:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

It seems to me that you are not using wpa-supplicant at all. Maybe WPA will not be supported at all on your system. With a clear state of mind no expertise is needed when following the steps in post mentioned above.

Urban

ApG

#6 Post by ApG »

OK. I always used the Network Wizard. I will trie the command line in the evening, because it is the Home Network.

But I think I use the wpa-supplicant because I only have a key in the wpa profile. The second profile, which looks like wep, has an empty key share. So the the wizard remember the passwort from the wpa profile.

I've tried also the acx driver from linux so I can only use wep. I set my router on wep, but it didn't work. After that I switched back to ndiswrapper.

I post my results later.

ApG

ApG

#7 Post by ApG »

I've tried different combination of WEP and WPA via Wizard and command line. The only thing that works fine is without any key or with the combination of two profiles.

The only error was with this command because the s:

iwconfig wlan0 key open s:MY_WEP_PASSWORD

But there is no connection via command line.

I've tried also autoconnect and he use the two profiles but in the wrong order.

I decide to use the network wizard and choose the profile twice and then set the static ip with a script.

Thanks ApG

davids45

#8 Post by davids45 »

G'day ApG,

Re-reading your first post, I think you said that your network connects after using the WEP network profile but did not work when you first tried WPA?
If that's correct then I think you must have set up WEP encryption on your home wireless network. Unless it is unprotected and "open".

If so WPA will not work whatever you do.

My understanding is these (WEP and WPA) are two completely different wifi management systems.

You need to know exactly which wireless system you have at home. Then it should be much easier to get things connecting.

David S.

ApG

#9 Post by ApG »

davids45 wrote:G'day ApG,

Re-reading your first post, I think you said that your network connects after using the WEP network profile but did not work when you first tried WPA?
If that's correct then I think you must have set up WEP encryption on your home wireless network. Unless it is unprotected and "open".

If so WPA will not work whatever you do.

My understanding is these (WEP and WPA) are two completely different wifi management systems.

You need to know exactly which wireless system you have at home. Then it should be much easier to get things connecting.

David S.
Hi David,

I know exactly which wireless system I have, because I do the setup and second I use the WLAN Card in Windows with a WPA/TKIP Configuration. So I know it. And it is encrypted and not open.

I said in my first post that the WLAN is only connected when I first use the WPA Profile (with Key) and after that use the WEP Profile (without Key). Only in this Combination. If I only use one of these two Profiles it not work.

I use it in this uncomfortable way because it works.

Thanks ApG

ApG

SOLVED for me

#10 Post by ApG »

Hi,

yesterday I tried it again, but not search for the problem but to handle it easier. autoconnect is very good, but it won't work so good for me because he tried the saved profiles in different order and up to three times ,but there are a lot of errors and at the end sometimes a connection, sometimes not.

So I looked for the scripts that autoconnect generated from the two profiles. I put it in one together, set a static ip at the end and in 5 seconds I'm connected without any error.

Thanks ApG

here is the script:

#!/bin/sh
#generated by autoconnect ver.
#useScript=yes

echo " ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=2
update_config=1

network={
ssid="my network"
psk=my key
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP
} " > /tmp/AC
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D wext -c /tmp/AC -B
/usr/sbin/wpa_connect.sh wlan0 wext

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid "my network"
iwconfig wlan0 freq 2.437G
iwconfig wlan0 channel 6
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:17:9A:66:E6:B9

ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.101 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up
route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1

urban soul

#11 Post by urban soul »

:D :D :D

finally, somebody got a use for that feature. lol. I think you are the only one on the whole forum.

rofl. :wink:

Edit:
Who is this: -> 00:17:9A:66:E6:B9 ? Your neighbor ?