KP Process lister

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

KP Process lister

#1 Post by Lobster »

That is the KP Process lister - you will find it under Start / Control Panel

This program is very useful in JWM to close down running processes (with fvwm there was a "bomb" icon top right to click and drag onto rogue programs - usually early dotpups that had stopped responding)

Now I know some of you long time Linux users can help us hopeless cases with your knowldege . . .

What are syslogd and klogd?
dhcpcd eth0 is setting up and keeping a connection to my internet connection?

What is tty1?
It seems to be loading xwin (also known as xstart) so that starts the X Windows visual display system . . . ?

What / How do others use KP Process lister?
What are your questions regarding it?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#2 Post by MU »

I think klogd is the Kernel-log-daemon.
Syslogd is the system log daemon.
Both will write messages about the system to /var/log

tty1 is the first console.
By pressing CTRL-ALT-F2 you can switch to tty2

Instead of the process-lister you can use GPS http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... hlight=gps that provides you with additional information like memory-usage.

No guarantee all information is correct, especially concerning the daemons.

Mark

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

MU wrote:
tty1 is the first console.
By pressing CTRL-ALT-F2 you can switch to tty2

Mark
Ah thanks Mark - knew I had heard that before (few dozen more times and it may sink in . . .)

thanks for other info - glad to hear those deamons are OK (I like to do tonglen - an advanced Tantric Buddhist practice involving black smoke visualisation that is used to cheer up the demonic realms - those guys have a hard time - especially with Buffy Summers) but as usual I digress . . .

- I posted another screen shot of my process lister and that was running a program called "skippy"
which I have never seen before. I wonder what that might be? Could be something to do with bouncing messages?

so tty1 is short for "teletype 1"?

Peace and goodwill to all sentient Kangeroos
PS. Tonglen is so advanced it is often done by beginners
http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/Medit ... iving.html
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#4 Post by MU »

>so tty1 is short for "teletype 1"?

yes.

Skippy is delivered with XFCE.
It is something like my expose: http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... ght=expose

http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php

Hit "Scroll_lock"-key to see it in action.
Edit /root/.skippyrc to assign another key.

This is an mostly unknown, but very helpfull feature of XFCE.

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Didn't Jesse write a process lister/manager awhile back?
....is it downloadable from somewhere?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

Didn't Jesse write a process lister/manager awhile back?
....is it downloadable from somewhere?
yes, it is on my dotpups page

just press ctrl+F to search the page for jesse

it gets information directly from /proc

by the way, that is the way dotpups are inntended to work ... download, click to install

i think the dotpup downloader is unnecessarily complicated, and has already confused some new Puppy users, who thought that the downloader was how dotpups were supposed to work (the downloader certainly is not how i intended dotpups to work)

MU

#7 Post by MU »

Hi,

I personally prefer the downloader to search the wiki.

But maybe it was not such a good idea, to replace the old entry in the Setup that opened the Wiki in Mozilla-embedded.

I would see 2 solutions:
Add an additional entry to "Start-setup" : "Download Dotpups from the Wiki"

or

Just 1 entry: "install Dotpups", what opens a small XDialog, that lets you choose between the 2 ways and maybe an additional readme?

What do you think about it?
I have a bad feeling, if the "inventor" of the Dotpups does not think the downloader is ok, so I would like to clarify this.

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

i just think downloading from web pages is simple and something that Windows-users are accustomed to doing

that is, they are accustomed to going to a page like
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/security/fwvirus.html
and downloading installer files

there are advantages and disadvantages to everything

i think new users of Puppy will not realize that there is any other way to install dotpups but the downloader gui (there is a button on the pupget gui that opens the dotpup page)

i was posting anyway so i just mentioned it ... i don't mind people using the dotpup downloader if they prefer it, or building on the dotpup system anyway they want to

i think solution #2 would be annoying ... i don't think there is a problem , except that some (many?) people will think that the downloader is the only way it works

MU

#9 Post by MU »

i think solution #2 would be annoying ... i don't think there is a problem , except that some (many?) people will think that the downloader is the only way it works
Ok. In my post I often refer to the downloader and the wiki.
Not always, but most of the time :)

So I hope people will be aware of both.
This is even more important, as the downloader does'nt cover the Forum-Dotpups.

I think I should add a readme-button, that leads people to the Dotpups-Forum.

Thanks, Mark

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

I like the downloader when I know what I'm looking for and don't already have Firefox running, because it's faster than loading up the page. Especially if I know it's on the list so I don't need to update it. Usually, though, I'm already in Firefox, so I just use the wiki. The wiki's also better when I'm not sure what I'm looking for, because I can read it better. I agree that a popup would be annoying, so I'd go with option 1.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

Well, I'm open to suggestions for 1.0.7, on how to streamline the handling of
dotpups.
Perhaps the menu needs a gui frontend that offers both ways, and explains,
instead of just launching the downloader directly ...or is that complicated also?

And then, PupGet package manager just has a link to the wiki, where dotpups can be clicked on to download, so that is conflicting with the downloader way of doing it.

One extreme would be to always launch MUs downloader. Set Rox and web browser file association. And modify the downloader so it will work with a dotpup filename on the commandline
...well just a thought ...take into account I'm reducing my coffee intake,
intending to cut it out entirely (my brain feels odd if I miss my regular cup).

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

or is that complicated also?
the main idea i had when i thought of the dotpup idea, was that it should be easy and simple to use ... whatever is done (if anything, it really is not very important, i guess), i think using dotpups should not be complicated

pupget is different ... Unleashed packages are used to build isos and for remastering, which is more complicated

i have thought of setting up associations in the browser, so when you click a link to a dotpup file it automatically runs it, but i thought that it was a bit too easy, and a bit too dangerous (too much like Windows and Internet Explorer ... i think the browser should not be running progams and installing software with a single click)

it's just that i noticed that a few new users have not realized that there is any other way to install dotpups other than the downloader gui (when i decided how dotpups should work, i chose to use the browser as the user interface deliberately ... it was not that i was too lazy to write a gui interface, it was that i wanted to use the browser for the user interface, because people are already used to downloading files from the browser ... and the browser is designed for the purpose anyway (why reinvent the wheel?))

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

take into account I'm reducing my coffee intake,
intending to cut it out entirely (my brain feels odd if I miss my regular cup).
Fortunately, I've never fallen into the trap of drinking soft drinks or coffee. I just drink milk, water, and the occasional glass of juice. And smoothees, of course :)
I did have an adiction to cookies one summer, though.

Anyways, back on the current topic (which is actually off topic, but who cares?).
I think the best way would be to have the menu set up like

Package Wizzard
--separator--
Pupget package manager
Dotpup package manager
Dotpups from the wiki

Then, the wizzard could explain the differences and offer a choice of which option to use. Or, if you already know what you're doing, you can just click one of the options from the menu and bypass the wizzard.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]