Tinfoil Puppy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
puppyluvr

The Internet

#21 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello :D
Lately here in the US I`ve been hearing of a movement to remove anonymity from
the net..They claim it will make it more "secure". Sounds like "Big Brother" to me..
Does anyone know more about this????

MU

Re: The Internet

#22 Post by MU »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello :D
Lately here in the US I`ve been hearing of a movement to remove anonymity from
the net..They claim it will make it more "secure". Sounds like "Big Brother" to me..
Does anyone know more about this????
As far as I know, the FBI collects everything they can find for data-mining.
In germany, the state uses trojan horses on people, that are sucpected of terrorism.
We have new laws here, that providers must save all login informations for half a year, so that the police can find out, who used special sites in case of (suspected) criminality.
Forum-messages must be read in advantage by the board-masters according to some judges. In practice, many board-masters like me refuse to do this. A kind of Civil disobedience.
These tendencies provoque quite some protest here.

On the other hand, many people think, that it is good.
They hope, this can help to make the web more safe. Help to fight guys that spread viruses and such.
Concerning terrorism, there was some success.
But there are studies, that most of the "real criminals" cannot be fetched like this, and the state is suspected to do this only because of a strong will to controll everything. German police has 2 bad examples in history, where it prooved to have a tendency to collect as much information as it can get, to suppress political incorrect opposition.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

John Doe

#23 Post by John Doe »

puppyluvr wrote::D @John Doe :D
Is this guy the next Dr. Who????
.......... :D .......... :D .......... :D .......... :D .......... :D
perhaps :-)

he's got the right look going on.

oblivious

#24 Post by oblivious »

I don't think that guy in the phonebox carries the look as well as this guy :

http://tinfoilhat.shmoo.com/

prehistoric

safe deposit

#25 Post by prehistoric »

oblivious wrote:Keep cash in your mattress, and buy nothing, and you might be ok, if burglars don't break in, or rats don't eat it.
You forgot one hazard, termites.

KF6SNJ

#26 Post by KF6SNJ »

Being former US Navy, I know for a fact that the FBI has a dossier on me that is probably a few inches thick. Indeed, living by an Air Force base, I often wondered if the lines out here weren't tapped. Don't care now as I am using my cell phone as my only phone and my internet is now wireless.

dinky

#27 Post by dinky »

Don't worry, they've probably managed to tap both of those by now as well...

prehistoric

critical shortage

#28 Post by prehistoric »

@Dinky,

While you are probably right, in a general sense, there is one critical shortage limiting the use of such data - qualified people cleared to read it. You wouldn't believe the amount of collected electronic trash in which critical information can hide.

If the backlog keeps increasing at the present rate, we will all be comfortably dead before our transgressions catch up with us.

Pizzasgood

#29 Post by Pizzasgood »

You forget technology. There will come a day when a computer can read all text, listen to all audio, and watch all video, then notify "authorities" about anything "suspicious". It will also sort that data for easy retrieval later. IMHO, the sun has already begun to rise.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Aitch

#30 Post by Aitch »

@KF6SNJ
Being former US Navy,......
You announce, [seal, maybe?]
Don't care now as I am using my cell phone as my only phone and my internet is now wireless.
You continue, [no, not seal!!] with an apparent complete lack of understanding [surprisingly, for a ham] of the ability to track phones & wireless signals just as easily as hard-wired ones

Earlier in the thread puppyluvr asked about the move to remove anonymity from the web

Yes IPv6 is what does this, by adding an identifier 'sleeve' to all packets which not only identify the sender, but the recipient also

BruceB & I raised this in several threads a few months? ago

Net neutrality/Halloween documents/Patriot Act/Masonic Secrets/global finance/Increases in security - all connect, in the opposite direction of freedom ; as we know it

This could be the push to try to outlaw cash, once sufficient fear has been spread
see the articles prehistoric & I brought to attention about the illegality of M$, now used by over 70% of the world's Governments!!!

And you have to talk to them using their network

Where is OUR network I ask?

Free open independant all bring risk to your door, but there has been no alternative proposed

So, in my book we are as doomed to imprisonment as they care to make us

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28985

Yeehaaaaah - viva la revolutione!!

Aitch

disciple

#31 Post by disciple »

If they're really out to get you, it's actually ridiculously easy to tap your cell phone calls anyway :(
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

KF6SNJ

#32 Post by KF6SNJ »

phone and internet are digital devices and while I am aware of how easy it is to track them, I don't think anything I say on them are of any real importance.

Incidentally, I am not a former seal. I couldn't pass the screening.

Incidentally, I have actually tested Tin Foil Hat Linux. For practical purposes, not very useful. PocketLinux was more useful. Besides, how secure do we honestly need our systems?

disciple

#33 Post by disciple »

I know a former seal, but he's now rather anti-american...
He claims he didn't like breaking the Geneva convention on raids behind the iron curtain :)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

cb88

#34 Post by cb88 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditor_Se ... Collection

A friend of mine used the backtrack distribution to completely obliterate the security on his fully up to date and secured Solaris installation... mind you that solaris is very secure and is a production system and it was hacked in minutes....

I don't have a problem posting that link since it is pretty common knowledge among hackers... and yes there are programs that maintain databases of know vulnerabilities of systems so no one is safe anymore not Windows not Linux, Solaris ....well not sure about BSD I'll get back to ya on it
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

KF6SNJ

#35 Post by KF6SNJ »

I did some thinking about this and then revisited the old "Tin Foil Hat" Linux site. Amazingly, it was still up and available for download. Notwithstanding, I noticed it links to several known conspiracy theorist sites. One of them offers a program called "MindGuard". It took me several hours to meet the dependencies needed to compile this, not to mention I had to compile it on PCLinuxOS because of it needed certain gcc items that don't seem to be in the usr_more.sfs file.

As you can guess, this program is for the absolute and most paranoid persons around. Now then, if somebody is so paranoid as to want to create a super secure version of puppy based upon 3.01 or 4.0, I would suggest that they consider adding this program too. In fact, I've already compiled it, so I could probably copy it into a tgz file and make it available if anyone wants it. Then if somebody wants to include it in a paranoia driven super secure puppy derivative, they could.

Personally, I agree safety and security are important, however there is a fine line between security and paranoia. We would do well not to cross that line.

cb88

#36 Post by cb88 »

you realise half that site is a joke right? i mean it is called tin foil hat linux ... they are being sarcastic
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30