VestaPup Released 7/1/08

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
izonic

VestaPup Released 7/1/08

#1 Post by izonic »

More information about its description can be obtained from this site http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets/vestapup

Looking for people that might be interested in helping VestaPup Grow! =)

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

Good grief, man, what are you thinking of?! Who are your young friends? Hope they're not going to pester me for dosh?
I need to know three things:
- does it have streamtuner?
- does it fly?
- does it sing God Save the Queen?!
Later.

prit1

#3 Post by prit1 »

@izonic:

Its good to see your first post is a puplet release announcement. :)

I downloaded and tried this in frugal. I must say it is very beautiful. I loved the looks and this is a keeper for me.

Just on one of the laptops, that has Nvidia, some effects are not smooth. But the same happens on this laptop with wNOP also.

Congratulations on your puplet.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

prit1 wrote:@izonic:
Its good to see your first post is a puplet release announcement. :)
I
That is impressive. It is also a large and ambitious puplet.
Do keep us informed. Good luck.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

runtt21

gave it a try

#5 Post by runtt21 »

I gave vesta a spin and everything worked really well that I tried.It Looks very good.The only thing I didn't really like is ,its a bit on the fat side.IF you have Firefox, do you really need Opera too?

Roger Hunter

Vestapup

#6 Post by Roger Hunter »

Hi;

I downloaded VP, burned the CD and booted it.

It came up as PCPuppyOS, a nice distro but not what I was expecting.

How come?

Roger

runtt21

#7 Post by runtt21 »

Dude, I dont know what to tell you, I got it from the same place yesterday and as you can see , it worked for me.

Go back to the site, use the link to get there and see what file it list before you put the code in.

Roger Hunter

VestaPup cd

#8 Post by Roger Hunter »

runtt21 wrote:Dude, I dont know what to tell you, I got it from the same place yesterday and as you can see , it worked for me.

Go back to the site, use the link to get there and see what file it list before you put the code in.
Very strange. Right iso, right size, verified burn.

Live cd boots as PCPuppyOS, installs as VestaPup.

I don't get the Compiz effects but I think the nVidia geforce 2 card isn't up to it.

Roger

runtt21

#9 Post by runtt21 »

OK I understand, when you boot it , it says something like loading puppy 3.01 or something like that , that is what vesta is based on .That is what he built it out of.

During setup after the video wizard runs you must pick xorg for compiz to work. After that set it to start compiz automatically and see if the nivida driver loads. If all that works when you get to the desktop press and hold crtl & alt while right clicking on the desktop, not a window just the desktop and see what happens...

Roger Hunter

VestaPup cd

#10 Post by Roger Hunter »

runtt21 wrote:.

During setup after the video wizard runs you must pick xorg for compiz to work. After that set it to start compiz automatically and see if the nivida driver loads. If all that works when you get to the desktop press and hold crtl & alt while right clicking on the desktop, not a window just the desktop and see what happens...
Right click on the desktop brings up the start menu, with or without Ctrl-Alt

Not sure about nvidia, how do I tell?

Roger

runtt21

#11 Post by runtt21 »

OOPS my bad!!!!!! It's left click. try that.

Roger Hunter

VestaPup cd

#12 Post by Roger Hunter »

Left click does nothing, with or without Ctrl-Alt

Roger

runtt21

#13 Post by runtt21 »

open a terminal and enter ccsm see if it give you any error messages.

And its hold the left click at the same time with crtl & alt , dont just click and let go, grab it.

Have you ever ran compiz or beryl on any other versions of linux?Have you tried tigerpup or wNOPv2.0 ?

Roger Hunter

VestaPup

#14 Post by Roger Hunter »

Hold or not, no response.

ccsm gives a page of text but no complaints. It mentions no sexy Python something but says it's optional

I've tried Tiger and wNOP but I think all I got was a shaky screen on wobbly.

Maybe I should just stay with Dingo or even 2.14

Also, some puppies wont reboot. They freeze on start kernel unless I stop the PC completely.

Roger

Roger Hunter

VestaPup cd

#15 Post by Roger Hunter »

OK, it's something to do with my system.

I booted the CD on my laptop and it came up as VestaPup right away.

My desktop is a multiboot system and PCPuppyOS is one of the distros so somehow it's being booted along with Vesta.

Strange. Especially when it installs correctly.

Roger

ragaman

Nice Puplet

#16 Post by ragaman »

Vesta ran flawlessly on my desktop and laptop. One irritating thing though- what's that Windows Vista logo doing in the Start button? How do I replace it with something more "Puppian"?

izonic

Looking for a Mirror for upload

#17 Post by izonic »

I'm looking for alternative place to upload since some people are having a problem with the download link. If you know a place where i can upload VestaPup, or if you can, let me know please. Also I was out of town when i made this pup so when i get back home ill start working on Vesta more and remove some unwanted stuff to make the iso smaller. It's weird that some say it Boots up as pcpuppyos which i didnt use so that seems odd, but im glad to here it installs as Vesta without a problem. One thing you should know is if your going to just use it as a live cd for the first time, you need to close the rss feed and weather then reopen it and configure it for it to start working again, this is because your going to have to make a save file after your first time using it. If you do a full install to hdd then you shoudn't need to worry about it. Glad to see people are liking it! =)

About changing the start button, well i can't exactly remember but i think i remember seeing it in an icon folder under the root directory. The default name i believe is xp start button .xpm something like that cant remember the exact name of the file. There is a script which i tried to change so the button wouldnt have to be named that but it just reverted back to the xp name so i just replaced the image which seemed to work well.

prit1

Re: Looking for a Mirror for upload

#18 Post by prit1 »

izonic wrote:I'm looking for alternative place to upload since some people are having a problem with the download link. If you know a place where i can upload VestaPup, or if you can, let me know please....
VestaPup is now available from the below link also.
http://puppylinux.ca/members/VestaPup/
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

ragaman

Vista Icon Be gone!

#19 Post by ragaman »

Thanks izonic. Found the file you pointed out inside the folder /root/.usr/local/share/pixmaps/. Renamed the original xp-start-button.xpm to xp-start-button4.xpm. And renamed xp-start-button2.xpm (with Tux) to xp-start-button.xpm, restarted the system and viola!

izonic

hello

#20 Post by izonic »

Thanks for the new download mirror prit1, will update the link to the description area :D