Acer Aspire 5315 no sound etc.

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
stefek

Acer Aspire 5315 no sound etc.

#1 Post by stefek »

I just got a puppy! I have fallen in love with the sheer potential i see here! gr8 work Barry! i applaud you on your litter of pups!
now is the part where i excuse myself for my lack of knowledge and experience.
and on to the facts:
I have an Acer Aspire 5315 notebook that i bought in Moscow, Russia. the only USEFUL references i have found on this particular computer are on Russian sites. (still don't get the technical stuff, I got the conversation part but computer tech is too much)

the notebook specs are:
Acer Aspire 5315-051G08Mi
Celeron - 1730 MHz - 1GB RAM - Chipset: Intel® GM965 Express
Intel® High Definition Audio - Codec: AC97

my puppy, "sabaka" is the one made from puppy-4.00-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso

after many hours of intense sleep deprivation i think its time to ask for help.

I took a Rovermate Alumess 4GB stick and reformatted it to ext3 with a boot flag. i then ran the grub bootloader utility after which i downloaded and copied the pertinent files: two .sfs files, vlinuz, initrid.gz and a save file.
after that i ran an application called pup2usb and restarted.

It all worked fine and quickly, no problem with the wizardry. no error messages on the apps that i needed.
my delimma came when i tried to play media of any kind. don't get me wrong it played and i even was able to stream, youtube and all. just no sound at all either through the headphones output nor the notebook speakers, after many restarts and wizard visits.
I also noticed that the connect wizard needed to be run after every restart. (which is rather an inconvenience than a problem)
my next issue will probably be the microphone input, i read that there were problems but i only glanced at the entry. I do skype a lot so that will also be important, after i get some sound going.
so, I throw myself at the mercy of the forum! can anyone help me get my pup house trained? any help would be gr8ly appreciated!

stefek

dead thread

#2 Post by stefek »

wow! way to post a dead topic! this topic is the least viewed there is on the list!

oh well, on the bright side, total disregard is better than and cruel ridicule.

Indy

#3 Post by Indy »

Hi, don't worry, I looked at your post! :)

And, here's something that might fix some of your sound problems.

(I replied to someone else's similar query just recently at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30213)

My Acer's close, it's an Acer Aspire 5310. To get sound working I use the "acpi=ht" parameter. To test that works on yours, try entering at the boot prompt (I only always boot from the LiveCD, 2.17 in this case):
puppy acpi=ht
Now, that gets the laptop producing sound out of the built-in speakers, but I still can't get sound to come out of any external speakers I might attach; the audio-out doesn't work. Same problem with the microphone jack, I'm afraid. I'm still looking around for some kind of fix for those, too.

I'd be interested to know if you manage to get (some) sound out of your 5315.

Trobin

#4 Post by Trobin »

Open a terminal and tyoe in alsaconf to run the alsa configuration wizard. See what happens...

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

Trobin wrote:Open a terminal and tyoe in alsaconf to run the alsa configuration wizard. See what happens...

Code: Select all

modinfo: could not find module snd
I think they might be any of these:

snd
soundcore
snd_hwdep

stefek

!!!

#6 Post by stefek »

thank you guys for responding!
hi Trobin, and thank you for the tip! i tried that and it came out the same. no error messages, for all intents and purposes i should be getting sound.

i checked all 3 of the mixers and i noticed something curious, both the alsamixer and the sgmixer shows the wrong audio card. i have Intel HDA AC97 and sgmixer shows Realtek ALC268. also in alsamixer the headphones channel is red highlighted. ??? in addition to that, all of the volume faders on the zmixer stay at 0 and won't budge, with the exception of the pcm fader which syncs with the others just no change in volume.

Indy, many thanx! I use the usb not the cd, because on my computer the settings are dropped each time i restart. even with save. so i don't really know how that is done. where would i type 'puppy acpi=ht' if booting from a usb flash?

John Doe, thank you as well! I found the snd files but unfortunately i don't know what to edit about them or how.

I have browsed all of the pertinent forum threads but nothing i saw worked. as soon as i find out what to do, i will post the results in detail!

John Lewis

#7 Post by John Lewis »

Hello stefec,

I've just at last got sound working on my wifes ACER Aspire 5315

We have pupeee B4 on a usb stick. Used pupeee because it recognised the wireless card.

Anyway after looking through the forums I found some information and when I put it all together it it worked.

This is what I did.

1) Run the Alsa wizard. (Won't get sound but it will set things up.)

2) go to the etc directory and click the file modprobe config. when it comes up in the editor, at the bottom you will see something like "alias snd-hda intel" and so forth . under the last entry add

options snd-hda-intel model=acer

Save this and exit

3) Bring up a terminal and type alsamixer. Use the arrow keys and bring each of the first three columns to maximum .

4) bring up puppy mixer from the menu and bring its columns up to max as well.

You should now have sound. My first test was to go to the audio folder in Puppy-Reference Directory and make the puppy bark.

You may have to carry out steps 4 and 5 each time you start puppy.

Hope this helps.

John Lewis

stefek

mega thanx!

#8 Post by stefek »

Hey there John Lewis! man i'm glad and thankful that you took the time to help me out!
so i did what you suggested, however my machine remains mute.
i'm not sure why, but it won't play wav files either. other files .pls, .mp3 play without sound.
Is there some other mixer that i'm not aware of? i have the alsa mixer and sgmixer, both are turned all the way up.
maybe i should try some heritage drivers?
one last thing, what was the Puppy version again? i have a sneaking suspicion that the version i have (see original post) is missing something. i would like to try the version you have, maybe there's a patch for this problem now.
thank you again for responding to my post, its people like you that make it worth bothering with such a forum! cheerz!

John Lewis

#9 Post by John Lewis »

Hi stefek,

Sorry that didn't work.

This is the version I used.
http://waltonpond.com/eeepc/2008-3-16/pupeee-b4.iso

I think also available on www.puppylinux.ca

If you boot puppy from the disk you could also try at the boot prompt

puppy acpi=ht That also worked for me.

Tomorrow I'll put the puppy on another thumbdrive and replicate what I did to make sure I've not left out any steps.

John Lewis

stefek

Its alive!!!! hahahahaaaaa!!!

#10 Post by stefek »

Big correction!
the modprobe edit worked!!! :D
thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
John Lewis you are the man! :wink:
So here's how it went, i followed your instructions exactly then restarted the JWM and the X server and nothing happened... disappointment ensued... some 30 min later it suddenly my computer cut off, as in from one second to the next off.. i thought it was all over and would never start again after two attempts to boot up were unsuccessful. then on the third attempt it started. nothing seemed different until i continued my flash game. voila, sound!

so to anyone who has been following this post, follow the instructions given in John Lewis' post in this thread and restart a couple of times, you should get sound.

Thank you again for your valued input! without you i would be now sitting in silence unable to hear my wonderful hard dance stream! unless you love electronic music as much as i do, you couldn't understand how happy i am that i can surf and hear my EDM streams!! :D

John Lewis

#11 Post by John Lewis »

Hi stefek,

I'm pleased it worked out for you.

I downloaded and installed puppy 4.00-k2-6.21.7 on a stick, set up ALSA , and added the line to modprobe.conf, then found it didn't work until I rebooted. Anyway you found that out before I got around to telling you.

I had much trouble with the Atheros wireless. I sorted that out so if you need to know what to do for that let me know.

You know, all I did was make use of the information I found on this site. So it's not just me you have to thank but all the fantastic people on this forum who are so willing to share their knowledge.

(Edit) The information I used came from Tempestuous's post in the How To forum under ALSA configuration for Intel HD Audio. So he's the one to thank.

That's one of the things that makes Puppy and this forum so terrific .
All the best,
John Lewis

stefek

recordings?

#12 Post by stefek »

Hi John!
thanks to tempestuous and you, everything is now fully functional on my computer as it is, with no pnp stuff. well that is with the exception of the sound input and the internal sound bus. i'm not sure how to configure it to record streams or external audio. i'm sure its just as simple as the soundcard config. however my lack of knowledge still limits me.

i'm a musician and i want to record myself and my friends playing together, though i'm not very hopeful that i can even find software of sufficient quality to go to the trouble to set it up. would you happen to know if there is studio quality recording software for puppy or some way to adapt some to it?

I'm lost on that part.
as always your help is greatly appreciated! I'll buy you a beer sometime, or whatever you drink! :wink:

John Lewis

#13 Post by John Lewis »

Hi Stefek,

I'll have a play with sound input and see what I can find.

As to the software. Perhaps have a look at Audacity I think it is available as a pet package in the repositories. You will have to search. I can't say how professional it might be but good to try.

By the way. It is useful to make a copy of your save file somewhere so if you mess up you can copy it back and not have to do everything all over again. That has saved me often.

John Lewis

stefek

Oh yeah, back that baby up

#14 Post by stefek »

thanx for the tip! yeah i have it on various different flash drives, i had to do it like that since they otherwise all come up in a list and stall the start up. audacity i am familiar with, i'll try that! thank you again!