BCM43xx-based wifi card won't work in Dingo

mech_pirate

BCM43xx-based wifi card won't work in Dingo

#1 Post by mech_pirate »

I installed Puppy 4.0 (Dingo) a few days ago, and I cannot get my BCM4306-based wireless card to work.
Puppy seems to detect it at boot and loads the BCM43xx driver, and I've tried unloading and reloading it, as well as using ndiswrapper, but nothing seems to work.

Has anybody had success using this chipset with Dingo?

I also have a 3com ethernet card that also doesn't work, but that's not my priority at the moment.

Thanks for any help

mark2

#2 Post by mark2 »

see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 76&t=30129 also see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469 to set up from the commandline

I'm currently using a belkin card with a bcm43xx chipset in the official dingo 4.0 2.6.21.7 kernel , dingo 4.0 with the experimental 2.6.25 kernel and the macpup
[img]http://www.markamos.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/yxudnslbsx.png[/img]
www.crowncarcare.co.uk

stevesr0

#3 Post by stevesr0 »

On my laptop with a 4306 chipset, Dingo configures correctly, although it was confusing enough for me the first few times that I posted all about it with the subject title "confusing wireless configuration in Dingo".

Originally, I used the command line because I had gotten used to this.

I believe that you can start with either the Network Wizard from the Menu Setup submenu or the (desktop) Connect icon which basically brings you to the Network Wizard after you choose "connect by network interface".

In my case, with the BCM43xx driver loaded by default, in the Network Wizard screen, I select the connection linked to bcm43xx to configure (say eth0).

In the screen that then is opened, I have to provide a name for the new profile I am configuring (eg, "home"). Then I enter the details (essid, encryption key). I may add advanced details like the gateway MAC address (for the router, NOT the ip address of the router) and perhaps the channel.

Then SAVE the profile.

THEN select USE THIS profile.

You are then automatically returned to the previous screen, which hopefully indicates that configuration is successful.

IF you are using DHCP (I am), THEN click the DHCP button.

A little window appears that says wait...

If the DHCP negotiation is successful after a while, a congratulatory message appears saying that the configuration is successful and asking if you want to save it. Click YES.

After this in a console window, ping the router (or other network gateway address, usually 192.168.x.y) If you don't know the gateway address, type "route" at the console prompt and use the default ip address.

If ping works, try your browser.

If "route" doesn't show a local gateway address, repeat the DHCP attempt with the Wizard, making sure that the profile you just created is LOADED first!

If this doesn't work and/or your setup or the program prompts are different, please clarify.

Hope that is helpful.

Steve
However, after a while, I realized I was confused more than Dingo<g>.

Here is how it works for me using the Connect icon (which basically gets me to the Network Wizard). I click connect, select the wirel

Evil20071

#4 Post by Evil20071 »

I use the windows driver through the Ndiswrapper on my Dell Inspiron B130 with the BCM43xx card (Dell wireless 1370 card) and it works better in Dingo than in Windows. (Go figure right?)

mech_pirate

#5 Post by mech_pirate »

Thanks for all of the suggestions and links, guys!

Unfortunately, none of them seem to work, and I'm not sure that my card is being fully recognized at all, so I'll wait for the moment and try out 4.1 later.

(It's working under an Antix installation, even though it's not as nice, and not as light.)

Cheers

acithium

#6 Post by acithium »

I've gpt a dell 1520 inspiron and the bcm43xx doesn't work either. not matter what. not even with ndiswrapper. i feel your pain. I REALLY wanted to give the distro an operational spin, but i'll wait until this get's sorted out. Who knows, it might be an easy fix. I'll try anything at this point.

mech_pirate

#7 Post by mech_pirate »

I just tried an older Puppy distro, and the 4306 works just fine, so I'm going to stick with it until the next update, hopefully it will fix this problem.

You could always try Puppy 4.1alpha3 (http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 4.1alpha3/, as mentioned on Barry's Blog: http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00185), as they've tried to improve PCMCIA detection, since I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

I'm happy with my older release for now.