How to set up a Wacom Tablet

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
mikeb

#21 Post by mikeb »

further feedback......

the xdriver seems to have grown in size so it tried the one from your orginal package...works fine.
actually works more than just fine...it's amazing...pressure senisitivity in gimp is surreal. And this is using wacom's basic model which even us ordinary mortals can afford :)

Another interesting point...most of the functionality is there with only the kernel driver....the x driver just seems to calm it down abit and give pressure sensitivity.

If anyone gets the chance try it......

once again many thanks

mike and thee gang :)

Pizzasgood

#22 Post by Pizzasgood »

You can strip wacom_drv.so the driver to cut the size down to something like 79kb. I used to strip everything before packaging, but once the stripping broke something. Now I only package something stripped if I've tested it first (which I haven't in this case).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

mikeb

#23 Post by mikeb »

You can strip wacom_drv.so the driver to cut the size down to something like 79kb. I used to strip everything before packaging, but once the stripping broke something. Now I only package something stripped if I've tested it first (which I haven't in this case).
fair enough...thanks for the explanation... :)

mike

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

Just a quick note...

I was having problems running on X11R6 ie the tablet not releasing the curser /switching modes when using the gimp,inkscape etc..
After some research it seems like X is often setup so that the tablet will be detected as a mouse input (as well as a tablet) so potentially conflicting with the mouse...
the solution is in xorg.conf changing the mouse device settings from

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" (which symlinks to psaux or mice)
to
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"

this ensures only the mouse triggers mouse events and cursor mode switching is correct.

It may be helpful for X11R7 as well if any odd behaviour is encountered (mouse / tablet switching seems cleaner this way)

mike

RobertB

#25 Post by RobertB »

My daughter, who has more artistic talent in her little finger than I do in my whole body, bought a tablet (from woot.com for $35). It's not a Wacom; it's a DigiPro USB 8x6 tablet (512 levels of pressure sensitivity), but the thread on another DigiPro refers back here.

I'm on Puppy 2.17, and I have a PS2 mouse. I figured the PS2 mouse would have fewer conflicts, though I can put my USB mouse on if I need to.

When I first hooked it up, it was generating mouse button click events, but not any movement events. So I followed the directions in this thread:

* modprobe wacom

* Install wacom_drv.pup

* Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf according to http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index ... o/inputdev and http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index ... /srvlayout

* Edit it again after doing cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Code: Select all

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=5543 Product=0005 Version=0100
N: Name="UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1f.2-1/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
H: Handlers=mouse1 event2 
Here are the results of the edits:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "stylus"    "SendCoreEvents"
    #InputDevice    "eraser"    "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice    "cursor"    "SendCoreEvents"    # For non-LCD tablets only
	#InputDevice    "touch"     "SendCoreEvents"    # Only a few TabletPCs support this type
    #InputDevice    "pad"   # For Intuos3/CintiqV5/Graphire4/Bamboo tablets
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "stylus"
  #Option        "Device"        "/dev/ttyS0"          # SERIAL ONLY
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"   # USB ONLY
  Option        "Type"          "stylus"
  Option        "USB"           "on"                  # USB ONLY
  #Option        "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"               # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "cursor"
  #Option        "Device"        "/dev/ttyS0"          # SERIAL ONLY
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"   # USB ONLY
  Option        "Type"          "cursor"
  Option        "USB"           "on"                  # USB ONLY
  #Option        "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"               # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection
The result: the tablet doesn't send mouse events any more. It now does absolutely nothing. Makes a good mouse pad. :)

Is it possible that I just don't understand how to use the tablet? I tried using it to draw in mtPaint, but no luck -- mouse draws, tablet doesn't. So I installed Gimp, and couldn't even figure out how to draw a line. (I ended up drawing a line after another start, but omg the Gimp is a powerful but complicated mess!)

I do notice that my cursor, as I type, is flickering a lot more than usual, as if the system were receiving messages from some device...

My daughter says if I don't get it working, I owe her a Windows box. Help save my puppy! :lol:

mikeb

#26 Post by mikeb »

RobertB

one to try is run 'depmod' in a terminal then try 'modprobe wacom' again.....

lsmod will list all modules loaded....wacom and evdev should be in there.

also running dmesg should show the module loading (or not)

are you using this drive 'This is ONLY for the Puppy 4.00 that uses the 2.6.21.7 kernel' ? as it does work with 2.17 ...at least the kernel part does.

otherwise the DigiPro may not be able to work with the wacom driver

mike

RobertB

#27 Post by RobertB »

mikeb wrote:RobertB

one to try is run 'depmod' in a terminal then try 'modprobe wacom' again.....

lsmod will list all modules loaded....wacom and evdev should be in there.

also running dmesg should show the module loading (or not)

are you using this drive 'This is ONLY for the Puppy 4.00 that uses the 2.6.21.7 kernel' ? as it does work with 2.17 ...at least the kernel part does.

otherwise the DigiPro may not be able to work with the wacom driver

mike
Tried it, no luck. No errors doing depmod and then modprobe again, but no difference. Installed the wacom_k2.6.21.7.pet and rebooted... no change. Hope it plays well with the original .pup that I installed previously!

Here's the (partial) output from lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
usb_storage            86464  0 
evdev                  10624  1 
wacom                  17152  0 
snd_mixer_oss          17536  0 
lp                     12744  0 
parport_pc             32996  1 
parport                35784  2 lp,parport_pc
usbhid                 25568  0 
Here's the only thing in dmesg that I see that has anything to do with the tablet (though I could have missed something, since I'm not sure what to look for):

eth0:  setting full-duplex.
eth0:  setting full-duplex.
usbcore: registered new interface driver wacom
drivers/usb/input/wacom_sys.c: v1.46:USB Wacom Graphire and Wacom Intuos tablet driver
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.

mikeb

#28 Post by mikeb »

ok run
cat /proc/bus/usb/device

if wacom is not listed these drivers won't work for you...

mike

Pizzasgood

#29 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yep, almost certainly need to find drivers and configuration settings specifically for your tablet.

I probably can't help much with that, since I don't have one of those tablets on my end to test with. :|
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

mikeb

#30 Post by mikeb »

http://www.velvetcache.org/2007/03/18/d ... -and-linux

looks like possible on linux...just will need a kernel module for puppy.

wonder if using wizardpen hardware inside

mike

Pizzasgood

#31 Post by Pizzasgood »

The other thread he linked to has a post I made which links to some Ubuntu pages that might also help.

ArthurDent

#32 Post by ArthurDent »

i feel silly, perhaps i have missed something serious, but i simply cannot get my bamboo tablet running under puppy 4.00 (kernel 2.6.21.7).

I've followed your instructions to the best of my ability.

>modprobe wacom
>play with tablet (nothing happens)
>install pet
>play with tablet (nothing)
>edit xorg.conf
>restart X
>reboot

perhaps i have missed some crucial step.

If it makes difference, I am using a Bamboo tablet on an eeepc, i have tried this under puppy 4.0, but not under the 3.1 retro (that is my next step, if this doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
---DON'T PANIC---
And don't forget you're towel ;-)

Puppy Linux, The Linux for Hoopy Froods

Pizzasgood

#33 Post by Pizzasgood »

Did it output any error messages when you modprobed the driver? If not, run 'dmesg' after modprobing it and see if shows any errors.

Is the pad plugged in snuggly? Is its power light on?

Are you sure you got the right numbers when editing xorg.conf? I only have experience with one tablet, and it does move the mouse around somewhat even when xorg.conf isn't set up right. But I wouldn't be surprised if other tablets behaved differently.

Or I might well have made a mistake. This weekend I'll try to dig out my own tablet and test the last set of drivers I uploaded. I don't think I've ever used a tablet with 4.00 either, so maybe something has change that I'm not aware of.

RobertB

#34 Post by RobertB »

mikeb wrote:ok run
cat /proc/bus/usb/device

if wacom is not listed these drivers won't work for you...

mike
Well, it doesn't look very promising on that count:

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=5543 ProdID=0005 Rev= 0.00
S:  Manufacturer=UC-LOGIC
S:  Product=Tablet WP8060U
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=100mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usbhid
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=10ms
On the other hand, that link to http://www.velvetcache.org/2007/03/18/d ... -and-linux says otherwise:
I gave in and bought myself two of the DigiPro 5.5″x4″ drawing tablets, Model No. WP5540. I tried to find some compatability information about the tablet and linux, but couldn’t.

I got it yesterday, hooked it up and its working just fine. [...] I did uncomment the information for a wacom tablet in my xorg.conf and restarted my X server, but I haven’t tried it without that change, so it may not be necessary.
I checked, and my xorg.conf settings are still there. Of course, I didn't have to just uncomment them -- I had to add them, because Puppy didn't come with those extras (that's kind of the point of a lightweight distro, of course).

So there's hope, and despair. :)

I'm going to do a pfix=ram from 4.00 and see if that helps (I'm on 2.17, because 3.x never worked properly on this box).

Pizzasgood

#35 Post by Pizzasgood »

I tested the 2.6.21.7 driver in Puppy 4.00 and it worked fine with my Graphire 4. I had some trouble getting the event number right. My laptop only has one cramped usb port, so I almost always have a hub plugged in. My WiFi dongle doesn't even fit into the laptop's port, as a chunk of the case is in the way, so the hub is almost a necessity. I also usually have my mouse plugged in. I've found that the most reliable way to get my tablet working on this setup is to unplug the mouse, put the tablet in the end port of the hub, and then put the mouse back in. Otherwise even though I appear to have the correct event number it behaves as though I don't.

ArthurDent

#36 Post by ArthurDent »

modprobe did not output any errors, i did some snooping around and it looks like the driver is loaded.

the bamboo is securely atached to the computer, the clear plastic parts on it are glowing blue.

when i cat'd to check for the number, the tablet wasn't listed.

cat /proc/bus/usb/device 
does list the tablet though... so i'm halfway there (i think)

I'm sorry i asked for help and then disapeared, it's my girlfriends computer, so i dont have access to it for a long enough span of time to get much done... i took her sd card and her wacom though, so i will get the set up on my computer and just give them back to her when i am done.

Hopefully that means i will be a little more watchful of the forums.

RobertB

#37 Post by RobertB »

Pizzasgood wrote:I tested the 2.6.21.7 driver in Puppy 4.00 and it worked fine with my Graphire 4. I had some trouble getting the event number right. My laptop only has one cramped usb port, so I almost always have a hub plugged in. My WiFi dongle doesn't even fit into the laptop's port, as a chunk of the case is in the way, so the hub is almost a necessity. I also usually have my mouse plugged in. I've found that the most reliable way to get my tablet working on this setup is to unplug the mouse, put the tablet in the end port of the hub, and then put the mouse back in. Otherwise even though I appear to have the correct event number it behaves as though I don't.
I've had that problem with thumb drives, so I tried plugging the tablet into a hub. No luck. The tablet's light comes on when I poke it with the stylus, so I know it's getting power.

Now, here's something strange. I just unplugged it and plugged it into another port of the USB hub, and the behavior has reverted one step. Instead of doing absolutely nothing, a stylus click will set focus to whichever window the mouse is currently over, and paste the contents of the clipboard buffer. Also, as I type, the cursor is flickering as though the system were receiving mouse-related events.

I did cat /proc/bus/input/devices before and after, and the event number didn't change, though "Sysfs" did:

#before
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1f.2-1.3/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
B: EV=f
B: KEY=c01 0 3f0001 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=303
B: ABS=100000f

# after
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1f.2-1.1/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input3
B: EV=f
B: KEY=c01 0 3f0001 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=303
B: ABS=100000f
I'm using a PS/2 mouse (on Puppy 2.17 -- trying it in 4.00 didn't give any good results either). I guess the next step will be to unplug it and run xorgwizard?

EricZ

Thanks!

#38 Post by EricZ »

Thanks for the great "How to",
It worked for me, although I had to try twice (but I'm a beginner, so if I could do it anyone can!).
I have a Tablet - Fujitsu Lifebook with Sidux and Puppy 4.00 installed.
Better yet, now that the pen works it is now Windows free! 20gb more space for my 2 favourite Linux distros!

Of course that's not my question though:
Now that the pen works, how do I turn the screen?
I've combed the forum already but to no avail.
There are built in buttons or "hot keys" on the periphery of my screen, one of them is meant for changing the orientation thereof. Of course it worked in windows(when it was installed).

Any ideas?

E.

melannen

#39 Post by melannen »

Thanks so much for the how-to! I just got puppy 4.0 running on the old linux box I hadn't messed with in six years, and I'm still marvelling at how helpful the help here is for people who aren't experienced.

I got my tablet (USB graphire4) running using the instructions and package in the first post in this thread, and it works perfectly, including all the buttons and wheels and things, better than it ever did in windows. Only when I try to do the last step and set up pressure sensitivity in GIMP (and Inkscape, which I installed just to check), I get a "no extended input devices" message, and that's it.

The tablet works perfectly in GIMP except for this. Any ideas? Googling around for other people with this problem hasn't found me much.

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

no extended input devices
This usually means that the entries in xorg.conf are not working correctly (after restarting X)

you coulds look in /tm/xerrs.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors related to wacom.

mike