Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Oct 2014, 03:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
Strange, now works, but why?
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul 2008, 21:07    Post_subject:  Strange, now works, but why?
Sub_title: Dell Inspiron 4000 Laptop

My pastor gave me a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop in which the monitor had apparently gone bad. There were odd lines jetting off from just about every graphic and letter. Basically, it was almost unreadable. I decided to look at the BIOS settings. It was set to run from LCD and not from an external monitor. I tried playing with the display settings, but that only seemed to make it worse. Finally, I did something I had not thought to ever do on any computer, I disabled COM1. Suddenly the display was crystal clear. The OS, WinME, complained about COM1 being disabled, but everything looked great. It was perfectly readable. I booted up MacPup on (using the IDE=NODMA option) and everything was absolutely perfect. Here is what I don't get:

How is it that disabling COM1 would cause the display to suddenly work correctly?

I already wrote to my pastor about it, of course he may now want his old laptop back, but if so, I don't mind. I thanked him for giving me the opportunity to fix this.
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2008, 01:47    Post_subject: Re: Strange, now works, but why?
Sub_title: Dell Inspiron 4000 Laptop

KF6SNJ wrote:
How is it that disabling COM1 would cause the display to suddenly work correctly?

Shared memory address for the COM and Video drivers. Look at the address that COM1 is using, change it to another acceptable address and re-enable. Is the video still ok? Just a thought.

Cheers

KF6SNJ

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2008, 23:28    Post_subject:  

COM1 is supposed to be the serial port. I found that setting it to COM4 also works fine. My only other problem with it is that the "Fn" key isn't working right and I have to use it to type certain letters. Still, that is not too big of a hiccup overall.

Note: My pastor has told me I can keep the computer. He simply says congrats on fixing it.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum