Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Oct 2018, 17:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How I installed SeaMonkey's Adblock Plus in Puppy 3.00
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Matu

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct 2007, 09:29    Post subject:  How I installed SeaMonkey's Adblock Plus in Puppy 3.00  

Hi all!

Recently I reported an extension installation bug in SeaMonkey 1.1.2 here.

Now I have a crude solution for the Adblock Plus extension. I posted the following to Barry's developers blog too, because at that time the community forum was unavailable:

"I reported in the beta2 bugs forum, that I couldn't install for example the Adblock Plus extension for Seamonkey 1.1.2. Now I upgraded my 2.17 frugal install to 3.00final. Interestingly the upgrade process kept my seamonkey1.0.8 folder untouched in /usr/lib (not the binaries but my extensions). It contained the Adblock Plus files in different folders and I simply copied these files to the same locations in the Seamonkey1.1.2 folder.

Files were:
/usr/lib/seamonkey1.0.8/chrome/adblockplus.jar
/usr/lib/seamonkey1.0.8/chrome/chrome.rdf
/usr/lib/seamonkey1.0.8/defaults/pref/adblockplus.js
/usr/lib/seamonkey1.0.8/components/nsAdblockPlus.js
/usr/lib/seamonkey1.0.8/components/nsAdblockPlus.xpt

As you can see I also copied the chrome.rdf file which contains the path for the installed extensions. Now I have a working Adblock Plus filter. I don't think its a bug cause we all use different extensions. On the other hand AdblockPlus is a very popular extension, so the upgrade process may scan for it."

Best,
Matu
reid_geo

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan 2008, 00:37    Post subject: Adblock Plus Still an issue?
Subject description: Has this not been fixed yet?

I've searched quite a bit and have not come across a fix for this: Adblock Plus (and other extensions, too?) will not install in Puppy 3.0x with Seamonkey 1.1.2.

This seems like a huge problem. Adblock Plus has made the web so much easier and so much more fun to use. I would think there would be an uproar that it doesn't work with a fresh install of Puppy 3.0x.

Anyway, Thank you Matu for the workaround! I stupidly overwrote my 2.16 USB-stick install with 3.01 without backing up. Just goes to show that even if you have nothing worth backing up, you might...after all... But thankfully, as Matu said, the Seamonkey 1.08 extension files for Adblock were not trashed.
qkall

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan 2008, 22:03    Post subject:  

ok i also had this problem... i googled about and found out that that version of seamonkey can't support plugins...

so just update to the newest version.... the only problem here is that you have to carefully replace the old version (as its the default browser)... just takes a little work on where they files are.. but i managed to do it.. and i'm a total newb.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan 2008, 23:05    Post subject:  

I've always been able to install AdBlock Plus with SeaMonkey. And I use Full Installs.

I just did it with 1.1.7 - the difference between the install is and has been that AdBlock Plus insists on using the program directory and won't install in the profile directory. Other extensions usually will allow either location.

I suspect this problem as being Frugal particular.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan 2008, 23:09    Post subject:  

qkall wrote:
ok i also had this problem... i googled about and found out that that version of seamonkey can't support plugins...

so just update to the newest version.... the only problem here is that you have to carefully replace the old version (as its the default browser)... just takes a little work on where they files are.. but i managed to do it.. and i'm a total newb.

On the other hand. One of the first things I do is replace SeaMonkey with its newest release. Puppy usually ships with an older release and it is very possible I've never even installed an extension with a Puppy default SeaMonkey version.
markofkane

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul 2008, 11:52    Post subject:  

I found this to be useful. I could not locate the nsadblockplus.xpt, but I found everything else. Now the adblock dialog will show up!!!
Thanks!!
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: