Setting up Samsung ML-1740 Printer

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
JayVee

#1 Post by JayVee »

I am a newbie to Puppy (4.00).. How do I get this printer to work on Puppy. It works fine with Ubuntu! This is what I have unsuccessfully tried so far:

1: Downloaded devx_400.sfs, copied it to /mnt/home and rebooted. However issuing "#make" returns "bash: make: command not found." How do I get "make" to work?

2: Downloaded the printer driver package "splix-1.1.1". The INSTALL instruction are not clear. In what directory should I place splix before issuing the "#make install" command? (Does it make any difference where?)

3: I have also tried the "Samsung Linux Unified Driver Installer" package without any success.

4. Just putting the splix "samsung1740.ppd" file directly into /usr/share/cups/model directory and then using the cups setup again is also unsuccessful.

Can anybody help me?

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

JayVee,

No guarantees, but I've cobbled together a .pet for you to try. With regard as to why your devx_400.sfs isn't working, I can only think of 3 possibilities. It was corrupted in the download, you've got a full install, or that you got other .sfs files occupying the 3 available mount points for loop devices.

But even if make was working, for a little file it presented a few problems compiling. The splix-1.1.1 archive can be extracted anywhere as, when you run make install everything will be extracted to it's right location. (Actually I installed with make install DISABLE_JBIG=1)

So, following the install file, I tried compiling, on pup4, with:

Code: Select all

make DISABLE_JBIG=1
All the files seemed to compile, but at the linking stage, it complained about libpango. So I tried compiling on pup2.16, & whilst this compiled without complaint, when I try & run on pup4, it complains about libstdc++6. Finally I tried on pup3, & this seems like it might be OK.

One thing with the already compiled packages on linuxprinting.org, here, and possibly with the .ppd file you've tried, is that they're set up to use files from /opt directory, rather than /usr, where cups is installed with puppy.

Anyway, sorry for the long story, let us know whether the attached works or not. I'm still not 100% sure whether the 1740.ppd file needs an explicit path to the file /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl2 or not.

Edit: Re-uploaded with explicit path added.
Attachments
splix-1.1.1.pet
(51.76 KiB) Downloaded 834 times
Last edited by muggins on Sat 05 Jul 2008, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

JayVee

#3 Post by JayVee »

muggins,

No success yet!

Thanks for the pet file. I installed it, and then I went to the cups setup.

1. The printer showed on the "CUPS Admin" dialog as "MFP Parallel Port #0 (ML-1740)."

2. I selected "ML-1740, 1.1.0 (en)" on the CUPS "model/driver" dialog. To my surprise five duplicates of the driver were displayed in the dialog, and other drivers had also multiple duplicates!
Could this be a splix error?

3. I picked the first duplicate, and "admin" reported "the printer had been added successfully. Could this result from missing the explicit path you mentioned?

4. ML-1740 showed now on the "Printer" dialog as "idle, accepting jobs."

5. However, the Cups Test Page failed!

6. Allas, I lack the sophistication for adding this path. Could you help me again?

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

JayVee,

I've re-uploaded the splix .pet, with an explicit path to rastertospl2. So use the package manager to uninstall the previous one, then click this latest to install.

Regarding duplicate entries in the cups interface, that seems to be a common occurrence with cups. Althought the splix INSTALL note does mention:
+==============================================+
| !!! IMPORTANT NOTICE !!! |
| If you are upgrading your current version, you MUST delete |
| your printer in the CUPS interface and install it again. This |
| operation MUST be done since CUPS make a copy of the PPD file and |
| this file is modified between versions. |

JayVee

#5 Post by JayVee »

Hi Muggins;

Thanks for your time and efforts to help me. Sad to say -- no success yet.

I used the package manager to uninstall the old splix from puppy, and then I deleted the previous ML-1740 printer from CUPS. After rebooting, I uploaded the new (July 4) pet, installed it, and then re-installed the ML-1740 printer in CUPS.

However, I had no result when I tried to print the CUPS test page. (the blinken-lights on the printer didn't even work!}

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

Does cups see it as ready to print? Is it set as default printer with cups? Sometimes you need to delete the printer in cups, & reinstall.

vanchutr

#7 Post by vanchutr »

Can you try with Samsung-ML-1740-gdi.ppd (don't use Samsung-ML-1740.ppd)?
1. Copy Samsung-ML-1740-gdi.ppd to /usr/share/cups/model
2. Restart cups_shell and install your printer
May be that works (in CUPS 1.1.23)

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

Hi Vanchutr,

the package I uploaded has these:

/usr/share/cups/model/samsung/ml1740.ppd
/usr/share/cups/model/samsung/ml1740fr.ppd
/usr/share/cups/model/samsung/ml1740it.ppd
/usr/share/cups/model/samsung/ml1740de.ppd
but no Samsung-ML-1740-gdi.ppd. Do you have this file?

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

Yogi

#10 Post by Yogi »

Go here: http://www.nodevice.com/search.html

Type Ml-1740 in "search" and it will give you three drivers. Download the i386 Linux Driver. Untar it and read the readme.txt file. Basically, you just open a terminal in the same directory you downloaded/untar the driver to and type "./setup.sh" (without the quotes). After that just follow along. I've got this installed in Simple Pup and it works fine. Hope this helps.

vanchutr

#11 Post by vanchutr »

This is the Samsung-ML-1740-gdi.ppd.
Attachments
samsung1740.tar.gz
(5.57 KiB) Downloaded 827 times

JayVee

#12 Post by JayVee »

I haven't been successful yet! Thanks to you all for trying to help me! Here is my feedback of what I have tried:

Muggins:
Does cups see it as ready to print? Is it set as default printer with cups? Sometimes you need to delete the printer in cups, & reinstall.

Answer: Yes, cups reports ML-1740 as "ready to print." I is the default printer.

vanchutr:
Can you try with Samsung-ML-1740-gdi.ppd (don't use Samsung-ML-1740.ppd)?
1. Copy Samsung-ML-1740-gdi.ppd to /usr/share/cups/model
2. Restart cups_shell and install your printer
May be that works (in CUPS 1.1.23)

Answer: I have tried this driver. It doesn't work either. Thanks for the .pet file tho.

Yogi:
Go here: http://www.nodevice.com/search.html

Type Ml-1740 in "search" and it will give you three drivers. Download the i386 Linux Driver. Untar it and read the readme.txt file. Basically, you just open a terminal in the same directory you downloaded/untar the driver to and type "./setup.sh" (without the quotes). After that just follow along. I've got this installed in Simple Pup and it works fine. Hope this helps.

Answer:
I got this file, and I tried it. However, setup.sh reported "libgtk-1.3.so.0 Cannot open shared object file: no suchfile or directory /root/.setup13646. GTK+1.2 libraries." I noticed that the driver file seems to be identical to those in the Samsung CD that came with the printer. I had used this to setup the printer in Ubuntu.after fetching libgtk 1.2.

This leads me to the following question:

Where can I find the pet file for the GTK 1.2 library? And, if I where to install GTK 1.2, would it interfere with Version GTK 2 that seems to be part of Puppy 4.0?

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »

I've had the same problem, with cups & a HP845c, where cups is reporting that it's ready to go & I click print...but nothing happens. Unfortunately I print so seldom, I've forgotten how I coaxed cups into working with my printer.

Regarding libgtk, see this thread, about installing libgtk1.2 in pup4.

Alternatively, have you tried copying over the working ubuntu setup, including libgtk-1.2, to pup4?

gronos04

#14 Post by gronos04 »

Hi, I have just successfully set up the Samsung ML-1740 on Dingo via usb.
I used the CD that came with the printer and installed the Linux printing application included. I added the gtklp package and away it went. Hope this helps.

Fastjack

Working Samsung ML-1740

#15 Post by Fastjack »

Hi muggins,

The pet you made enabled me to use my Samsung ML-1740 on Puppy 431; I simply created a new printer and selected the ML-1740 printer.

Thank you!!!

[quote="muggins"] ...

So, following the install file, I tried compiling, on pup4, with:

make DISABLE_JBIG=1
All the files seemed to compile, but at the linking stage, it complained about libpango. So I tried compiling on pup2.16, & whilst this compiled without complaint, when I try & run on pup4, it complains about libstdc++6. Finally I tried on pup3, & this seems like it might be OK. ...