How to encrypt a normal pup_save file in Puppy 4

Using applications, configuring, problems
miscos

How to encrypt a normal pup_save file in Puppy 4

#1 Post by miscos »

I have Puppy 4 (dingo) installed by frugal method on a fat32 partition. I have some additional programs installed and slightly customised for convenience. The pup_save file is normal one. Now how can I encrypt the pup_save file? This is required so that accidentally my daughter will not open the same pup_save file for games. She uses Puppy3 frugally installed and having a different pup_save file for her, which I have encrypted already so that things will not be meshed up.

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

one could do the following (perhaps a script is around that is easier, I seem to recall one that did something like that):

1 boot the puppy cd with pfix=ram

2 shutdown and create a new save file with encyption then boot again with pfix=ram

3 mount the unencypted save file and mount the encrypted save file. You might need to change options for devices and loops Not sure exactly what '-E 1' corresponds with but you'll get a general idea.

4 delete everything in the encypted save file

5 copy the contents from the unencrypted one into the encrypted one.

6 unmount both.

7 delete the unencrypted save file (or bcwipe, if needed).

8 reboot. enter password from step 2

miscos

#3 Post by miscos »

Thank you John Doe. I could do it. Hope this will help a few learners like mw.

PaulBx1

#4 Post by PaulBx1 »

Try also this utility of mine. Many have found it satisfactory although I don't know if it works in the Puppy 4 regime any longer. But you can see the steps anyway.
Attachments
convert-pupsave.tar.gz
(5.1 KiB) Downloaded 317 times

miscos

#5 Post by miscos »

Yes Paulbx1, the cool program works in puppy 4 also. Nice utility, I was searching for!! :D