fluxbox-1.0.0 - window manager

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
plinej

fluxbox-1.0.0 - window manager

#1 Post by plinej »

I couldn't get fluxbox to compile in 4.0-alpha-1 but the slackware binaries seem to work fine so here they are packaged for puppy. This package was probably compiled w/o imlib2 since there are no menu icons. I also modified the fluxbox xdg menu package that I found on MU's site to work correctly with Puppy's xdg menus.

instructions:

Install the fluxbox dotpet & the fluxbox xdg dotpet, exit to prompt and enter:

# xwin startfluxbox

Open up a terminal in fluxbox and enter:

# fluxbox_menu_refresh

Now your puppy menu should be working.
Attachments
fluxbox-xdg-plinej-0.7.6.pet
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 1121 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

:D Worked perfectly in Puppy 3.01 puplet Tmxxine

For those who are wondering . . . it is a window manager (themes)
that allows access to the menu options with a right mouse click

Fast and efficient. Many experienced Linux users prefer it.

I like it. See what you think. It is free after all . . .

Update:
I used it for a week - more than happy with it
Fast efficient - different true enough - makes use of the right mouse click
I changed - just for a change - never been a fan of fluxbox but now my opinion is much more favourable

If you are a Windows user then JWM (Puppy default) and IceWM will be more familiar. xfce is easy for most people to pick up. Fluxbox is probably faster on older machines were speed is more of an issue but I can not vouch for that

Many thanks plinej :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

zygo

Restart X left me with a picture of nothing

#3 Post by zygo »

Thanks for this plinej. I'm using puppy 301 and vesa. Very nice... But I was trying to get my transparency settings to show and nothing seemed to work. When I finally selected Restart X something strange happened. I was left with a picture of nothing. The monitor didn't turn off because it was still getting a signal. The caps lock key and LED were working but typing ctrl+alt+bkspc did nothing and nor did "xwin ENTER". I had to reboot.

Anyone else had this or know how to fix it (or it's cause)?

playdayz

Thanks 2

#4 Post by playdayz »

Yes indeed, thanks for making this--it was very useful to me. Here's why. I had a particular look in mind, I had always liked the Results and some other blackbox styles and I want to use them and a dock in the middle right with just 3 or 4 icons. Except blackbox-0.70 had to be patched to work right with bbdock--and when I patched it and compiled the size went from ~334K to 3300K--yes, ten times bigger. Man that was some kind of patch! It worked fine but a huge blackbox kind of defeated the purpose. So I tried fluxbox. Fluxbox did compile for me on Dingo 4, but it was 11MB!!! I barely know enough to compile things--I have no clue about why this happens. Openbox compiled right at 250K and ran nicely but something was screwey about the backgrounds--and it doesn't use the same styule format. Fluxbox is bigger, as you know, smaller would make me happier, but it runs well and the size is the same on some other distors. Plus, I didn't know how to do the nice thing you did to update the menu.

Since we have some Buddhist puppies around here I would say the look is serene and empty--it is nice to have something so totally different. and usable too thanks again for makjing it happen.

plinej

#5 Post by plinej »

Your binaries were probably that large because they need to be stripped. Change into the directory where your blackbox executable is and type:

Code: Select all

# strip -s blackbox
Do the same for all the executables & libraries.

shankargopal

#6 Post by shankargopal »

Having strange problems with fluxbox on puppy 3.00...

My main WM is Enlightenment DR17, but since I occasionally use a really low mem computer I installed this dotpet too. It looks great. But there are some really odd problems I'm experiencing:

Fluxbox runs fine for the first few minutes. But after I start running a few programs, it stops responding to right-click, Alt-Tab, mouse wheel on desktop, etc. - in fact it does not respond to any input at all except in the form of mouse actions over the toolbar (e.g. switching between programs or workspaces) - which continue to work fine. Alt-Tabs in programs are conveyed to the programs as inputs. But even in workspaces that are completely empty (i.e. nothing running), right click, mouse wheel, etc. still don't work.

Is some setting wrong? If it is of help, I am using fbsetbg to set a different background. I am not able to identify if the problems start with any particular software - it could be when running a Curses program in an rxvt window, but not sure. Could anyone help?

Paolo

#7 Post by Paolo »

Hello ! I follow all the istruction of the first post and all is ok (Fluxbox+ menu icons)

But when I restart the laptop the menu icons disappears and I must write
on the terminal "jwm2fluxbox".

Can someone help me please ?

I think Fluxbox is the best for Puppy :lol:

I have now Puppy 4.0+Ezpup v.3 + Conky 1.5.1 +Fluxbox

Thanxxx !!!!!!!!!!!

Paolo
Notebook Dell Latitude c6oo ... all for Fire Hydrant Inferno :)

trapster

#8 Post by trapster »

Paolo,

I'm not sure why jwm2fluxbox doesn't stick but you can put the command in the hidden /root/.fluxbox/startup file
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Paolo

#9 Post by Paolo »

hello Trapster,

You mean I can write "jwm2fluxbox" in that file ?

Paolo
Notebook Dell Latitude c6oo ... all for Fire Hydrant Inferno :)