How to set up 3com ethernet connection?

hillsider69

How to set up 3com ethernet connection?

#1 Post by hillsider69 »

I am new to linux but have played a bit over the last few weeks. I have one machine that runs DSL of puppy 4.00 from cd and connects no problem via my netgear dg834pn.
On this machine that is not the case and its this one I want it on!. Its an old hp e-pc with 1000 mhz p3 coppermine, 256mb ram, 32Gb disk set up as 5gb ext3, 256mb l-swap, 15gb fat 32 and the rest fat32.
I have the same results from cd or now I have done a full install (did not manage to get the pen drive to work but will try again).

Running the network set up it detects the 3com as eth0 and then says there is a live connection there. Running auto dchp comes back as a fail. I have poked around but with no luck.
I have installed win2kpro to the first 15gb fat 32 partition and am using that now, it went on line no problem.
Win system tells me that I have a 3com 3c920 integrated Ethernet controller (3c905c-tx compatible)
pci bus1 device2 function0
ms driver 26/08/2000
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\el90xbc5.sys

I think I need to get the driver for puppy to see it so how do I do that please??

What I have seen so far its great.

brymway

#2 Post by brymway »

I'm not one to give advice yet, somewhat new myself but it seems to me that if Puppy sees a network via eth0, it should be able to connect. I can tell you what happened with me. I have four computers hooked up to a router, three are ethernet and one is wireless. I opened up a browser and brought up the router page, the one where you can configure it. I had previously tried to make it more secure by enabling the mac filtering address feature according to the dhcp client list. But evidently the addresses changed because it locked two of them out and wouldn't connect. One of the computers was running Puppy 3.01 and it would see a live network on eth0 but couldn't connect. So I went back into the router and disabled the mac filter and both computers came right up and work fine.

You might try searching for eth0 dhcp or something. :)

hillsider69

#3 Post by hillsider69 »

Thanks brymway
I have had a problem before with 2 windows machines in the router, only one can control it. If you access the control page via one then you must sign out before the other can log in to control it. I have made sure that is the case but still cannot get in or on line.
HOWEVER! Last think last night (i.e. just before 2am) I did shove an old live knoppix cd from a 2004 book I had picked up. Boom boom! it went direct on line.

I am sure I am just short of the correct drivers and will look on the knoppix to see if they are there and try to copy them over. I mean at the worst it will just need a re install and thats a hell of a lot better than doing a win' install.

THANKS

hillsider69

#4 Post by hillsider69 »

IT WORKS!
More by luck, well almost.
I decided that and checked that the driver was missing, that was clear on the network set up page as there were x's where it should have had the driver name. I copied the windows drivers and inf files ready to use ndiswrapper but before using that looked at "boot manager configure bootup" and found a driver for 3com 509. Being knackered (it was midnight after a long day) I forgot that mine was 905 not 509! Loaded the driver, rebooted and it works!

I like puppy compared to the other distros because the programs have names that mean something to me and not something odd! Did try and still have suse 9 on another of my 11pc's (addicted??) must get back to it.