3.01 CD won't boot in Toshiba 3480CT

Booting, installing, newbie
jwb

3.01 CD won't boot in Toshiba 3480CT

#1 Post by jwb »

I am completely new to this and trying to use version 3.01 on my old Toshiba Portege 3480CT
Pentium III, 600MHz, 192M RAM.

I get to:

Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives... pup_301.sfs not found dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

with a blinking cursor.

I see the hard disk spin during the search for the files but not the CD drive I am booting off which is presumably where the file needed is located??

Have tried the retro version and the ide=nodma command as suggested in another post.

Help appreciated, I've loaded this system on my Pentium 4, 3Ghz, 1G RAM no problem.

capoverde

#2 Post by capoverde »

This seems really odd. The fact that no one of the experts has yet given an answer makes me think it's a not-so-simple problem.

Your description makes me quite curious, as I've tried Puppy on a number of different PCs and it worked on all of 'em.

*Beware, I'm actually no expert, so don't take my words too seriously: but the only explanation I can dream of is a buggy or very particular BIOS.*

Did you also try with a "WakePup" floppy?

jwb

#3 Post by jwb »

thanks, I will try the wake up route. I thought I had read somewhere that this was only for version 2, is there a version 3?

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Maybe try booting with the kernel option nopcmcia

capoverde

#5 Post by capoverde »

The WakePup floppy is one thing I never needed till now, so all I know is: if it's in the Setup menu it should work.

If I got it right, it simply tells the path where the Puppy files must be looked for (i.e., the CD-ROM), so the version shouldn't make a difference. Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and I'd like to know your results.

jwb

#6 Post by jwb »

Found out a bit more. Might relate to the CD/DVD drive I am using. It is a Toshiba external unit that connects to an expansion port on the laptop. I tried loading another distro - Xubuntu - and it got to the part where it looked for a CD drive and couldn't find it. Will do some more investigating.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Another way around your problem is through the USB port. Get a flash drive and copy the four core Puppy files over from the Live CD - vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pupxxx.sfs and zdrvxxx.sfs.

Boot off the Live CD and at the 5-second initial boot prompt, type:

puppy PMEDIA=usbflash

If your machine only has USB 1.0, this will be slow. But once you have Puppy running, you can look at doing a hard drive install.

legendofthor

#8 Post by legendofthor »

also i have just had similar problems and installed it with the command:
puppy ide=nodma
and it installed just fine
cheers
martin

askanthea

puppy install on 3480CT

#9 Post by askanthea »

Took me around 2 days of playing about and trying to work it out - ive ended up with the latest distro v.4 to get it working and it almost works.
The install with the supplied Toshiba CD rom didnt work and i tried every way of doing it that i could think of. I then tried running it live from the cd and that doesnt work as puppy seams to ignore the cd drive - must be cd driver issue. Then the USB route - its doesnt boot from the usb, Then the floppy route and it still misses the cd drive again.
So i resorted to removing the HDD and putting into another laptop, installing and then putting the hdd back into the 3480ct - and PRESTO - we have a puppy running - nicely - but as mentioned somewhere with i believe redhat 6.2 the network card doesnt work and crashes, ive tried a pcmcia network and 2 different wifi cards and the the drivers they were attached to didnt support WEP encription, so internet wasnt going to happen. So with this - I gave up - i got it working which was what I really wanted to do, just without network support. - I dont want to mention it on the puppy forums but I have installed DSL - DamnSmallLinux and it worked perfectly with internet access and full network support. - I prefer puppy thou ;-) - have fiun

Andy
xxx

ohh and DSL wouldnt recognise the CD drive either - actually there were only 2 distros that did work - susie was one- forgotten the other
ran very slow thou
xx

Puppyt

#10 Post by Puppyt »

Sorry that I hadn't seen this thread earlier, but I found that an alternative to getting around the hard-drive-swapping issue with Puppy installations is this great resource from rcrsn51 called "grubflop" http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16950. I prepared the floppy from within XP. Works like a dream for my Toshiba Satellite 430CDS (internal CD-rom). Serves better than floppy installation disks of other Linux flavours that I've tried on this machine (e.g., SlitTaz-lorem 2.0, DeLi 0.8 etc) . Will also boot CDs like UBCD. Perfect solution for old BIOS' that won't permit boot from CD-ROM. Will post back if it doesn't work for my Portege 3480CT.

Cheers