pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
disciple

"Pburn locks up X when trying to burn an audio cd with mp3s"

#361 Post by disciple »

I've not been able to burn mp3 files in pburn trying several releases and puppies. All the other features work wonderfully, but I've had to use wav files to burn an audio cd. Creating an audio cd from mp3's usually locks up the screen, and I have to cntl-alt-bkspace to restart X. I thought at first it was my IBM laptop T40, but I tried all the modes and CPU priority settings, and it wouldn't work. I then used the commands from the Advanced tab, and placed the script in the directory the renamed mp3's were copied to, and the cd burned fine.
I then tried it on my desktop computer with similar results. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 808#207808
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

dinky

#362 Post by dinky »

Ok, just tried copying and burning a dvd-r. Regcognizes and burns fine, but same problems as listed before. While the title of the dvd is recognized, it still creates a file the_video_you_wanted7.vob. Thus, when pburn looks for the dvd title to burn, it can't find it, and instead burns empty AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders instead.

There are lots of oher bugs that I've mentioned in previous posts. By comparison, not properly erasing DVD-RW medium, or at least one brand of that medium, is small. Don't have time to go back and make a list now. One of the major bugs is that even though the commands for shrinking and copying dvd's are set to have the size 4700Mb, the actual size differs. The file copied for the last dvd is 5500Mb, well over anything that would fit on a standard dvd. Actually, 4700 is also probably too big, as it's rare that all that disc space is actually available. I'd suggest trying to get it to shrink them down to 4400Mb, or 4350Mb. Either that or read the exact free space on the disc, and shrink to that.

Can you let us know when you make the next update, and what bug-fixes are included? Would be good so I don't keep reporting the same bugs. Cheers.
~dinky

ttuuxxx

#363 Post by ttuuxxx »

dinky wrote:Ok, just tried copying and burning a dvd-r. Regcognizes and burns fine, but same problems as listed before. While the title of the dvd is recognized, it still creates a file the_video_you_wanted7.vob. Thus, when pburn looks for the dvd title to burn, it can't find it, and instead burns empty AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders instead.

There are lots of oher bugs that I've mentioned in previous posts. By comparison, not properly erasing DVD-RW medium, or at least one brand of that medium, is small. Don't have time to go back and make a list now. One of the major bugs is that even though the commands for shrinking and copying dvd's are set to have the size 4700Mb, the actual size differs. The file copied for the last dvd is 5500Mb, well over anything that would fit on a standard dvd. Actually, 4700 is also probably too big, as it's rare that all that disc space is actually available. I'd suggest trying to get it to shrink them down to 4400Mb, or 4350Mb. Either that or read the exact free space on the disc, and shrink to that.

Can you let us know when you make the next update, and what bug-fixes are included? Would be good so I don't keep reporting the same bugs. Cheers.
~dinky
I haven't tried the latest pburn yet, I've just been overwhelmed with my own projects/work/family.
But what I do know about burning dvd's is, dinky is right about not using the full 4700mb it should be 4400mb, Thats what all the regular dvd burners use, Well the windows ones, I've tried about 30 of them, none ever go over 4400 and if they do a lot of the time you get errors, 4400MB is the safe number to compress dvd9 to dvd5.
usually for best quality for dvd9 to dvd5 they
remove subtitles
remove extra languages
remove added features
remove adds
remove everything other than a full audio selection and the main movie
the reason for the full audio selection is because some of the burning applications that select the audio for you after you select the language, gets the audio wrong, Like instead of having the English version of the audio playing you get the English version of commentary of the movie. Which ruins the move. So a audio selection would be nice, with 2,4,6 channel audio. More channels = less quality. By as much as 10%.
hope this helps you on dvd burning trouble shooting.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

zigbert

#364 Post by zigbert »

dinky
Next version will come probably tomorrow.
I'll change the DVD size from 4700 to 4400. Thanks.
vamps (the Pburn shrinker) has a limit of how hard it can shrink. But how big is the original movie (not the complete DVD) if the shrinked one is 5.5Gb. I have copied/shrinked some discs, and no one was original more than 5Gb.
Your bugreport about blankning dvd seems to be more a problem with dwd+rw-format or growisofs. If you can provide the correct command, I could try to check it out. There has been earlier reports that blanking works fine, and I have never blanked anything :oops:

ttuuxxx

I guess bigger decrypters gives more options. I would love to include norwegian subtitle. Vobcopy (18kb) is limited, but works great. Maybe I have misunderstood vobcopy's options or maybe there are other tiny decrypters out there. Please let me know if you know.

disciple, thanks for the link

dinky

#365 Post by dinky »

Dvd I tried was 8Gb, so it is shrinking it... or at least cutting out huge unneeded parts. Still think you've got to find some way to shrink dvd's down to 4300Mb, or it won't work on most disks. Happy to keep testing it. Will let you know if I figure out those commands for erasing rewritable dvd's, but it's going to wait awhile. Have some mini dvd RW that I've also been able to use with past version of pburn, would only work if I 'cheated' it and set them to cd's. Go figure. Will try with 1.9.3 when I get a chance.
~dinky

disciple

#366 Post by disciple »

1. I have a file called "2" in ~. If I add it, .gtkrc-2.0 and .sylpheed-2.0 also get added to the gui (but are not actually put in the temporary folder). I'm guessing it is adding everything to the gui with a "2" in it?
2. You might want to make it clear on the download page that you need the latest pfilesearch (otherwise it always opens pfilesearch first when you run pburn).
3. The bug I reported a while ago is still present: if I put a path in the path field on the browse tab, without a trailing "/", then I can't add files. I see

Code: Select all

cp: cannot stat `/root2': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/root2': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/root.gtkrc-2.0': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/root.gtkrc-2.0': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/root.sylpheed-2.0': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/root.sylpheed-2.0': No such file or directory
Interesting - it is trying to copy .gtkrc-2.0 and .sylpheed-2.0, but they don't actually get copied if I do have the trailing slash...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#367 Post by zigbert »

disciple
These bugs has been fixed before, but the add-function has been rewritten, so this must be some kind of regression. :) Thanks for your patience.

Will fix it for next release

Sigmund

zigbert

#368 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.9.4
See main post

ttuuxxx

#369 Post by ttuuxxx »

zigbert wrote:disciple
Thanks for your patience.
Sigmund
No you have that wrong Sigmund, Thank YOU!!! for bring such a great burning application to puppy and doing so many updates and fixes, I know whats its like, Lots of effort, long hours, I for one really appricate your work, Still hope you'll make a new Gui for Prozilla, but its ok I can wait. LOL
thanks anyways for all you've done with PBurn.
100% great application
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

disciple

#370 Post by disciple »

No you have that wrong Sigmund, Thank YOU!!!
Yes!
But, I said a trailing "/", not a leading one :) :)
So I have to enter/a/path/like/this/, not/like/this

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#371 Post by zigbert »

Leading / trailing, that's not important
Stupid norwegians.

:D :D :D

2byte

#372 Post by 2byte »

Hi Sigmund,

Some info from my tests burning a data DVD+RW with Pburn 1.5.1 in Puppy 4.0.

I tried full blanking a DVD+RW 4.7GB and ran into the same sort of problem that dinky had. After blanking Pburn says the disk is not writable. However using the terminal and running growisofs -Z correctly writes initial files to the blanked disk and then using growisofs -M correctly appends files. Using the terminal to quick erase with dvd+rw-format gives the message that the disk is already formatted, but dvd+rw-format -force succeeds and quickly erases the disk.

Tests with Nero in XP show that a disk erased with dvd+rw-format cannot be accessed, and a 4.7GB disk blanked with growisofs -Z shows 0 bytes used and 4.37GB free. Files added with growisofs to a disk blanked by either method display properly in XP and Puppy. I also had to use -joliet-long and -R options to burn files with long paths and spaces from the XP partition.

I will try the latest version of Pburn when I get access again to the machine with a DVD burner on it, maybe on Monday.

zigbert

#373 Post by zigbert »

2byte
Great report!

dvd+rw-format -force works for quick blanking, but this is still not compatible with windows and a note would be good.

Do I understand it all correct?
Sigmund

2byte

#374 Post by 2byte »

Sorry to confuse things, I shouldn't have said it was inaccessible. What Nero (InCD) in XP reports is that the disk blanked with dvd+rw-format -force has 0 bytes free, 0 bytes used and the file system is RAW. I popped that disk into windows 2000 pro and it reports that it has 0 bytes free, 0 bytes used and the file system is Unknown. So the disk is truly blank. Nero offers to format it to UDF so it is a good disk as far as Nero is concerned.

zigbert

#375 Post by zigbert »

2byte
I have now set 'blank complete' as the default choice, and added -force to the dvd-fast-blank command. Please give a note if you disagree.

Thanks
Sigmund

Nathan F

#376 Post by Nathan F »

In the box_chooser script -

<chooser>
   <height>500</height><width>600</width>
   <variable>CHOOSER</variable>
   <action>EXIT:OK</action>
  </chooser>
The <action>EXIT:OK</action> line is my addition and allows the user to doubleclick on a file rather than having to press the OK button. A small timesaver for the user.

I was thinking, why not change the entrybox for the file chooser, which shows the path and allows you to enter a path to jump to, to a combobox and add in the user's gtk bookmarks? Perhaps even add in their ROX-Filer bookmarks too? That would make it quick and easy to navigate to places they go to often. I may do some experimentation with the idea.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#377 Post by Nathan F »

Well it was a nice idea, and I could have made it work except that currently gtkdialog's combobox can't accept a command for input.

<combobox><input>ls</input></combobox>
That should create a combobox with an item for each file in the current dir (as in the gtkdialog examples) but it creates an empty combobox. So that feature is broken in gtkdialog.

I have another idea which I think I may be able to implement though - mime icons in the file selector. The tree widget, I recently discovered, can accept an extra parameter to the input tag - icon_column="0", so when you build the tree you tack on an icon like so -

gtk-directory|..
gtk-directory|some-subdirectory/
gtk-file|some-file
If you understand gtkdialog somewhat the picture should be understandable. You get a tree widget with the ability to specify the icon to go next to each item in the tree. That would add a little visual distinction between filetypes in the file selector, just like in the regular gtk+ file chooser widget.

I'd still like to figure out a way to implement the bookmarks idea, but can't think of another reasonable way to do it that wouldn't clutter up the interface too much. The regular gtk+ file chooser widget puts the bookmarks in a tree format with the label "Places" but adding another tree would take up too much room in the interface, which is why I wanted to do it with the combobox widget. Perhaps a menu widget, placed inside the <hbox> along with the path entry and "Go" button? Just little button that when you click on it you get a drop down menu with your gtk bookmarks. But gtkdialog limits you to using a text label for a menu rather than an icon, and a small icon would be better for that purpose. Well, I'm playing with the concept a little bit right now.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#378 Post by Nathan F »

OK, got something here. Just a little button next to the path entry box (see 1st screenshot) which opens a dropdown menu with your gtk bookmarks (2nd screenshot). Makes jumping from one directory to another in pburn quick and easy. Choose an item from the drop down menu and the path associated with that bookmark is loaded in the path entry box. Diff file included (func_gui is the only file modified).

Nathan
Attachments
pburn-bookmarks1.png
Bookmarks closed
(8.5 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
pburn-bookmarks2.png
Bookmarks open
(22.56 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
bookmarks.diff.gz
Diff file to add gtk bookmarks to pburn file selector
(787 Bytes) Downloaded 385 times
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#379 Post by Nathan F »

Hmm, I wonder should clicking on a bookmark just update the path entry box, or should it make the browser jump right to that directory? Any comments?

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#380 Post by zigbert »

Hi Nathan

I have added the bookmarks. Will be in 1.9.5. Thanks a lot for your contributions.

2byte has worked hard to fix a major bug, so we need a new release soon.

I upgraded box_chooser with EXIT:OK, but couldn't see any changes. I am not able to doubleclick to activate. Are you using a newer gtk?

icon_column="0" sounds interesting. :D

Sigmund