How to customize themes, background and icons -unleashed?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
drbongo

How to customize themes, background and icons -unleashed?

#1 Post by drbongo »

I have been playing around with Puppy unleashed and have successfully created new images containing extra packages etc. This is fairly straight-forward and allows you to exclude packages as well as add them.

However there is no obvious way of changing the themes, background and icons etc which is necessary to give your puplet its own look/identity.

I have worked out that this is possible using the remaster live cd script if you copy the contents of the /root directory to tmp/root during the process but this does not save all changes.

Would I have to manually edit files at some point before or during the process?

All I really want to do is to change the background image, choose a different GTK/JWM theme and icon set! If anyone can tell me how to do this I would be very grateful!

drbongo

drbongo

Just found a solution!

#2 Post by drbongo »

I have found that I can successfully change the background image, icon set, add desktop icons and change the GTK/JWM themes by copying the /root dir into /tmp/root during the remaster process! The only change this does not keep is the icwm window manager (EZpup), which is installed, but JWM starts by default!

It is far easier however to add/remove applications using the unleashed scripts. So for now I will add/remove programs using unleashed, remaster and then change the looks and use the live cd remaster to do that.

It is a shame that this option is not explicitly available in the unleashed script, or there is not an option in the remaster script to save changes to icons and themes etc.

drbongo

WhoDo

Re: Just found a solution!

#3 Post by WhoDo »

drbongo wrote:It is a shame that this option is not explicitly available in the unleashed script, or there is not an option in the remaster script to save changes to icons and themes etc.
Since EZpup is a dotpet, it can be included in your Unleashed tree and it will be built right along with your Puppy.

Alternatively, you can simply unpack EZpup using pet2tgz and then copy the directories into your Unleashed image before creating the ISO.

Since you are including your /root dir you should get all the configuration files. What you may be missing is ttuuxxx's icewm which now resides outside /root. Adding EZpup to the tree should resolve that issue.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

John Doe

Re: How to customize themes, background and icons -unleashed

#4 Post by John Doe »

drbongo wrote:All I really want to do is to change the background image, choose a different GTK/JWM theme and icon set!
http://www.puppylinux.com/technical/themes.htm
drbongo wrote:...using the remaster live cd script if you copy the contents of the /root directory to tmp/root during the process but this does not save all changes.
Instead of changing it like that, do each extracted package individually.

In the unleashed directory go into packages and edit the config files in the ones you want to change (jwm2-2.0.1-6, gtk+-2.12.1, 0rootfs_skeleton-4.00). Then run unleashed. It should all be automated then.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

The default wallpaper is /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg. I don't know what the "official" way to set the icons is since Barry added his icon management. The link John Doe posted is a page Barry added a page to his website about themes that should explain it.

Windowmanager is set by /etc/windowmanager. If you start your windowmanager with xwin starticewm then put starticewm inside that file.

IceWM themes are usually set in /root/.icewm/theme. Judging by what WhoDo just said, you might need to look at /usr/share/icewm/theme (or somewhere around there) instead.

I don't remember for sure where GTK theme is set. Probably /root/.gtkrc and /root/.gtkrc-2.0.

Desktop items are defined in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin. The actual icon images are defined for the apps linked to by the desktop items. As in, the 'browser' icon on the desktop runs /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, so it uses the icon which is set for /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser.

Icons for applications are defined in either /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons or /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons. I can never remember which.

But like I said, 4.0 has a built in icon managing system so you'd probably want to look into that.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]