Lucent Winmodem dials, but no Internet

Booting, installing, newbie
MethodOne

Lucent Winmodem dials, but no Internet

#1 Post by MethodOne »

I have a Stratitec IC56A (Lucent chipset DSP1648c) Winmodem. When I dial with eznet, I heard my modem dial and saw my IP address. After connecting, I couldn't do anything on the Internet. I really want to connect without having to use Windows ICS from my XP Pro laptop.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

The problem would seem to be somewhere in the OS and not in the modem itself.

I read somewhere that it is not only possible but easy to directly connect two computers through their dial-up modems. If anyone knows how to do this, it might allow to troubleshoot the connection setup in the OS before attempting to connect to the internet through an ISP.

The idea I have in mind is to dial a (local) friend's computer and practice setting up a network connection with it. If another computer is close enough you could simply run a telephone connector between the modems, instead of dialing through the phone company's switch, to connect the two.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Did you try Gkdial?
...run Modem Wizard first, which you will have done already.
...run Gkdial, create new account, choose "pap" authentication.
...quit Gkdial.
...edit the file in /etc/ppp/chatscripts/, change the "AT string to just "ATZ".
...Run Gkdial, try to connect.

You say it did connect with eznet, but I did the above for a Lucent modem
on a friends laptop and it worked.

OzzyBB

I had a similar problem

#4 Post by OzzyBB »

Hello,

I also have a Lucent Winmodem in my computer, and I also had trouble connecting. I recall that wvdial did not detect my winmodem, even after having downloaded and installed the correct pup package for it. I got to the point where eznet did make the phone call, but it would hang up after less than a minute. So I had to dig a little deeper to find out I needed to set a parameter called "chat=no" (I'm doing this from memory, I'm not at my own computer now). You have to set it from the command line or console.

I hope this helps.

Warmest greetings from Peru,

Oswaldo Bellido
"OzzyBB"

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I ran across this and this on the internet. They talk about Windows a lot but look like their info applies to any OS.

MethodOne

#6 Post by MethodOne »

In gkdial, I get "The connection was lost or the connection being tried was not successful. Click "Connect!" to reconnect." I tried "chat=no", but I still couldn't connect. My Winmodem does work in DSL 2.0 RC1.

OzzyBB

eznet not working for you?

#7 Post by OzzyBB »

Hello again,

Sorry to hear you still have modem issues.

I do get the same message in GKdial, and WVdial still does not detect my modem. So far, Eznet is the only dial up program I got to work. I will try and make them work, too, so I can come up with a better answer,

Warmest gretings from Peru,

Oswaldo Bellido
"OzzyBB"