pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#321 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.9.0
see main post

prit1

#322 Post by prit1 »

@zigbert: You keep updating Pburn faster than Barry can catchup .. I just read on his blog today that he updated to Pburn 1.8.0 and you are already on 1.9.0 ... LOL .:)
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

Nathan F

#323 Post by Nathan F »

I get the following in a message window every time I try to add files or directories using the file browser:

Code: Select all

Nothing to add.
Pburn can't open directories or files from imported sessions.
Started with 1.8/0 (I think) and continues with 1.9.0. No errors on the command line. This is in Grafpup, so my guess is some small utility might be missing that is now in Puppy.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#324 Post by zigbert »

could it be that grafpup uses 'ls' from busybox and it doesn't support -A1 parameter. Line 410 in /usr/local/pburn/func says:

ls -A1 "$DIR" > $WORKDIR/pburn-tmp
Sigmund

Nathan F

#325 Post by Nathan F »

No, I put the real ls binary in a while back and it does accept that parameter.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#326 Post by zigbert »

I will try the latest Grafpup, and take a look.

zigbert

#327 Post by zigbert »

Nathan

What made the trouble was this:
cat $WORKDIR/pburn-tmp | grep "$SELECTED_FILE" > $WORKDIR/pburn-tmp
if I changed it to use 2 different tmp-files
cat $WORKDIR/pburn-tmp2 | grep "$SELECTED_FILE" > $WORKDIR/pburn-tmp
everything works.

Grafpup is a beautiful OS. Multiuser works great. The only thing that stroke my mind, is that you are a strick man. Why do Pwireless need root access?

I have also fixed the Pburn installation to work within a multiuser system.

Sigmund

Nathan F

#328 Post by Nathan F »

Sigmund,

I only found one instance of that particular line, in the "func" script. Changed it as you mentioned, but still seem to have the same error. I went back and found that whatever causes the problem is between 1.7.0 and 1.8.0. I'll do a diff on the files and take a little peek at what has changed, perhaps I can track it down.

Other than occasional regressions like this I'm very impressed with Pburn. And thanks for the comments on Grafpup. About wireless and root, I haven't had time to check into optaining an ip address as a non-root user yet. If it turns out not to be too hard and doesn't leave too many security holes I'll make some changes and get rid of the call to gksu. I do know that as of now dhcpcd requires root access, and for a wired connection I'm not sure I would want that changed. Well ifconfig requires it too, to bring an interface up or down, and I think iwconfig requires it to set up your essid. A possible solution might be to allow users to run pwireless with sudo and no password, then there would be no need to enter the root password. I'll have to think on any possible ramifications of that approach.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#329 Post by zigbert »

Nathan

I changed the given code in "func" line 416, 417, 418, 419. Also had to change 410 and 413 to point to ../tmp2 instead of ../tmp. This worked for me in Grafpup 201 alpha2.

Regarding Grafpup and root, I just find it strange that I can't connect to internet without root access. If I want to set up a multiuser system, my wife would nail me if she had to type 'something' to get on the bloody web. :evil:

Sigmund

Nathan F

#330 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks, I'll maaaaaake the changes and see what I get. And yes, I understand what you're saying about wireless.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#331 Post by Nathan F »

Working now, thanks.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#332 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.9.1
See main post

ttuuxxx

#333 Post by ttuuxxx »

zigbert wrote:Version 1.9.1
See main post
Hi Zigibert

Just wondering about the dvd features, Can it turn a dvd 9 to one dvd 5 disk? Like remove subtitles, Menus, extra audio, extra features? and only have the movie? That way you get the best quality and it saves me from pressing all the buttons and watching the stupid ads at the start of the movie every time my daughter wants to watch a movie.
Thanks for all you've done, Pburn is the best puppy burner period and almost the best for all of Linux, But for the size of it and what it can do, Pburn wins hands down.
Great product
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

zigbert

#334 Post by zigbert »

Can it turn a dvd 9 to one dvd 5 disk? Like remove subtitles, Menus, extra audio, extra features? and only have the movie?
I have to admit, I don't know 'anything' about video-copying. What is the difference between dvd 9 and dvd 5? :oops: But YES, you guess you can...

ttuuxxx

#335 Post by ttuuxxx »

zigbert wrote:
Can it turn a dvd 9 to one dvd 5 disk? Like remove subtitles, Menus, extra audio, extra features? and only have the movie?
I have to admit, I don't know 'anything' about video-copying. What is the difference between dvd 9 and dvd 5? :oops: But YES, you guess you can...
Dvd9 is dual layer almost twice the size of dvd5
That way they can added extra features
-Behind the scenes
-Out-takes
-Internet stuff
-Alternative endings
Plus ads etc

when you remove all the extras from a dvd9 you usually get a bit over dvd5 about an extra 5-20% o the quality goes down just a bit, not really noticeable. And it saves you from splitting a movie into 2 dvd5 disk.
Plus you just put the movie in and it starts straight away, no need for menu selecting with the remote. Its just a lot nicer.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

zigbert

#336 Post by zigbert »

Thanks for info.
Now I can answer your question....

Yes, Pburn can copy from dvd 9 to dvd 5 :)

Sigmund

maddox

#337 Post by maddox »

sorry to disturb the topic,
Has anyone tried Pburn with DVD+R / RW media (plus R media) and had succes ?
... a few tried it in the french section and it didn't work for them..
- but it was an earlier version of Pburn, any diff with the most recent version now ?

btw zigbert, you've spent a lot of time & effort to make Pburn a great multi-purpose burning prog for puppy :)
and many thanks to all the other contributors...

zigbert

#338 Post by zigbert »

It would be good if the DVD+R rw issue are testet on the latest Pburn, and then give further info if it doesn't work. I'm very interesting in getting it all right for the big 2.0.0.

Sigmund

Nathan F

#339 Post by Nathan F »

Zigbert - I've been testing Pburn with audio cd creation. Works pretty well but I thought a couple things could be tweaked a bit. First I would suggest that "normalize" not be applied by default, because it takes quite a bit longer when it is run. Second, and this was also the case with Grafburn, Pburn copies each audio file into the temp storage before decoding to .wav, which until I had a really slow hard drive didn't seem like a problem. Well, I now have a REALLY slow hard drive and it takes forever, during which time the program just hangs. My solution is to symlink rather than copy. Also uses less temp storage this way. Here's the relavent lines, from func_build_command starting @130:

# move all files to the tempdir
	for FILE in `ls -1 $TMPDIR | tr ' ' '%' | grep --extended-regexp ".mp3|.ogg|.wav|.wma$FLAC$MAC$FAAD"`
	do
	 FNAME="`echo $FILE | tr '%' ' '`"
	 ln -s "${TMPDIR}/${FNAME}" "$AUDIODIR"
	done
The only potential problem is if a file has a '%' sign already in it, as I am using "tr ' ' '%'" to handle spaces, perhaps you know a better way. This sequence replaces all of the "cp $TMPDIR/*.[format]" lines that previously took that space. Also, the variables FLAC, MAC, and FAAD must be changed as follows:

# Check for various extra programs
	if [ "`which flac`" ]; then FLAC="|.flac"; else FLAC=""; fi
	if [ "`which mac`" ]; then MAC="|.mac"; else MAC=""; fi
	if [ "`which faad`" ]; then FAAD="|.m4a|.mp4"; else FAAD=""; fi
This is just above the other sequence in the script.

Also, there is no feedback during the conversion as the output is being sent to /dev/null. I sent it instead to the log file and it seems to work OK at least for flac files, but there is some error doing this with mp3.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#340 Post by zigbert »

Thanks Nathan
Disciple has wanted this for a while. I will test it, and maybe use the same method for video files.