How to use USB dialup modem with wvdial.conf

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rerwin

#21 Post by rerwin »

Dennis,
My mistake. Module cdc_acm or cdc-acm (they are equivalent and interchangable) appears to be correct for your modem. Now play with the /dev softlinks.

I will be home tomorrow afternoon EST (GMT-4) and will have access to puppy, so can be more specific in my suggestions.
Richard

dalderton

#22 Post by dalderton »

Richard. I have fiddled a bit more and I can get the modem to ring out but when it gets to connection on the log it shows
Returning not ok!!
--> Disconnecting at Sat May 31 13:17:22 2008
To get this far I have to manually edit wvdial.conf to modem=/dev/tty/ACM0 however there is no init2 only init1 ATZ and when I test ttyACM0 in pupdial the last light flicks on and off but there is no extended conversation as with the Serial modem. Also the modem is not detected in the boot sequence and even with the edited wvdial.conf it does not always find it on pupdial when probed
I have been trying to get rid of pl2303 without success by blacklist in the bootmanager . lsmod shows it still present .
I await further thoughts Regards Dennis

rerwin

A fix to try

#23 Post by rerwin »

Dennis,
Thanks for resuming this quest.

I have worked up some script changes to not only do what I had you do, but attempt to make the pupdial probe more trustworthy. I had to resort to some trickery, but the user doesn't see that, other than the substitution of /dev/ttyACM0 for the three-level-node name.

Regarding
Returning not ok!!
--> Disconnecting at Sat May 31 13:17:22 2008
I too see that problem with some of the modems I test with. But my trusty Lucent modem keeps on working. My Intel and SmartLink modems get that result, so there may be a problem deeper inside puppy causing this. But let's see if we can avoid having you to manually edit anything, to get at least to the "Returning not ok".

I need you to run a clean test of this, to see if it helps your problem.

1. Use a fresh pupsave (pfix=ram) to boot up with the modem already plugged in.

2. Extract the /lib directory from my attached archive, to the / directory.

3. Reboot and save to a new, small pup_save file (32M or more).

4. When up, verify that file Cdcacm is in /etc/init.d, then extract the /etc and /usr directories to /.

5. Reboot again and try pupdial. The modem should show as /dev/ttyACM0.

6. Set up your dialup info and connect to your ISP. What happens?

7. Disconnect (if successful) and click the "probe" button, to see if it retains the /dev/ttyACM0 setting.

8. Run PupScan and select the USB Interfaces option.

9. Save (somewhere permanent) the files /tmp/logwvdialprobe and /tmp/hwproberesult.txt, to post here.

10. Post your results and the content of those two files.

One of my tricks is to add your modem to the USB-hardware-driver list in /lib/modules. So it should work with your modem, but not all USB modems.

Thanks.
Richard
Attachments
modem_fixes_to_P4.00.tar.gz
Extract to / directory. Probably should repeat that after next reboot,
to ensure that any overwritten files are replaced by the fixed versions.
Now includes script for agrmodem, for 4.01
(21.29 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 05 Jun 2008, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

dalderton

#24 Post by dalderton »

Richard I have had a few problems carrying out your instructions as I have never used Puppy as a live CD but have always installed it to hard disc. I did my best with the puppy-save thing and eventually got this result. cdc_acm is not loaded on bootup.If i modprobe cdc-acm pupdial detects /dev/ttyACM0 along with Init2. On attempt to connect it does the same thing i.e. disconnetc etc. Also when attempting to extract your etc file to / Iget popup with "wrapper exited with a error" Anyway bottom line is no connection.
I played around with my installed version of Puppy and merged your etc , usr , and lib files with mine and now it detects /dev/ttyACM0 and the init2 string but still disconnects as before . Interestingly when probed for my serial modem it gives max speed as 115600 and the USB modem as 480000.
Here is bootsysinit log for installed Puppy

Mounting devpts: Mounting /sys: Loading swap partition /dev/hda2...
Starting /etc/rc.d/rc.modules...
loading modules for core usb...
loading modules for pci interfaces...
loading module via-agp
loading module via-agp
loading module i2c-viapro
loading module snd-via82xx
loading module via-rhine
Fetching x dri modules (but not loading)...
Setting hostname: puppypc
loading extra usb modules...
Loading cdc-acm
Loading module cdc-acm
Loading module pl2303
Loading /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak.map
Starting sound driver: snd-via82xx done
The following interfaces have been found: eth0
Trying to connect
cups: started scheduler.
A network interface is up, unwise to run setserial
[1]+ Done modem-stats $@ >/tmp/modemstatsret
ERROR: Unable to find a connection for eth0
Possible causes:
- Network unavailable
- Ethernet cable or wireless card not plugged in correctly
- Defective network addapter.
NOTICE: IF THIS IS WRONG, EDIT /etc/rc.d/rc.network AND UNCOMMENT LINE 205

and wvdial probe for ACM0

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.
Port Scan<*1>: S1 S2 S3
ttyS4<Info>: No such device or address
Port Scan<*1>: S4
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0 --
ttyACM0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 2400: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 -- OK
ttyS_ESS0<Info>: No such device or address
Port Scan<*1>: S_ESS0
ttyS_PCTEL0<Info>: No such device or address
Port Scan<*1>: S_PCTEL0

Found a modem on /dev/ttyACM0.

*** WARNING! Line "115200"
in /etc/ppp/options may conflict with wvdial!

ttyACM0<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55"

The info you asked for on the pupsave setup I did not get as I do not think that I set that up properly
Also if I have both modemsconnected and switchet on the serial one is first choice for pupdial but if I switch it off and probe with the USB modem connected it wipes wvdial conf and finds /tty/ACM0
I hope this helps. As I have said before I know just enough to be dangerous
Regards Dennis

rerwin

#25 Post by rerwin »

Dennis,
Thanks for running my tests. They appear to work exactly as I expect! Even the priority given to the serial modem over the USB modem. The module cdc-acm was detected at bootup and the correct modem device was found by the probe function. And your modem got as far as it did with your workaround techniques. Did the USB modem still work (such as it does) after you turned off the serial modem and re-probed?

One thing I would like to understand: what hardware is triggering the loading of pl2303? That is why I asked for the "USB Interfaces" listing from PupScan. My guess is that you have another USB-to-serial device attached or built in, that could support other devices than just modems.

As for the "disconnect" behavior, I am at a loss to understand that, as I have the same result with several of my test modems. We need Barry's or tempestuous' take on that issue. Or anyone else's who knows.

Thanks to your help, I can submit the fixes to Barry for one of the alphas.

It would be interesting to try my fixes on 3.01. I have not tested that, but maybe the "disconnect" might disappear, as all my modems worked under 3.01. It has the same kernel. I think I will try that, but feel free to, also, and hope for a pleasant surprise. But only on a fresh pupsave.
Richard

dalderton

#26 Post by dalderton »

Richard . OK I can switch the serial modem off and connect the USB and pupdial probe will find it and rewrite wvdial.conf complete with init2 string and if I remove the usb and switch the serial on it will go back to it.
I have 3 different hard discs in trays that I switch around with different distributions so I will do a fresh install with 3.01 without a modem connected and merge your fixes with it then connect the usb modem and boot it and see what happens.
Incidentally I tried the usbmodem with dreamlinux and it found it and dialed up and apparently connected without dropping out but it was not able to access anything so it was a sort of a phantom connection i.e.lights on but no one at home. I am assuming that the modem is still ok but I dont have Windows or anything else that I can test it on.
OOPS! I have just had a thought,I have been connecting the phone line to "PHONE" on the modem when perhaps it should be in the "LINE"plug.If I have it wrong it is because on the serial modem it is plugged into "PHONE" I will check it out and edit this post later
Regards Dennis
I just checked it and both the serial and usb modems work from both plugs so stiff cheese ,it made no difference. About pl2303 it is only there because I added it with the bootmanager when I first saw this thread thinking that it may be what I needed.Since then I have tried to blacklist it with no success. The only other permanent usb connection is for my printer. Hope this helps Dennis

dalderton

#27 Post by dalderton »

Richard BINGO!!!! This is through the USB Modem on Puppy 3.01 I did what I said and installed a clean copy of 3.01 then rebooted with no modem and copied your files to / (I still got the "wrapper exited with a error" message with the etc files) Then rebooted with the USB modem connected .It was detected at boot and shown as /dev/ttyACM0 on pupdial but would not test intil probed with pupdial when the init2 string appeared then I hit Connect and away it went . How about that????? You may now contemplate this and see if you can suss it out. I think that I will try the same deal with 4.00 and see what happens.Iwill let you know result
Regards Dennis

dalderton

#28 Post by dalderton »

BINGO MK2 Same story as above.Went through the same process with Puppy 4.00 and the whole thing worked seamlessly.The previous problems must have been caused by something that I did,maybe the pl2303 was creating a red herring,.anyway victory again for the persistent Rerwin. Thank you for the assistance
Regards Dennis

rerwin

#29 Post by rerwin »

Dennis,
Thanks for the good news!
I tried my USB SmartLink modem on both and got similar results to yours.
Then I noticed that the "Link Status" "Carrier Check" box defaults differently between 3.01 and 4.00. With it turned off in 4.00 I can get the modem to work. I am using it now, as my ethernet connection suddenly stopped working on this machine (network wizard OK, but browser loads the first online page forever).

So, when you go back to 4.00, be sure that box is unchecked.

What is driver pl2303 associated with? (PupScan)
Richard

dalderton

#30 Post by dalderton »

Richard
Sorry mate but in my enthusiasm for the modem working I have reinstalled 4.00 and cannot check pl2303 in pupscan as it is now not there.I dont think that it was involved with anything but I am not sure. The box that you mention is unchecked and was unchecked when I reinstalled
I think that this modem is at least as fast as the serial modem and it is less messy with no power supply etc. I hope these fixes will be incorporated in future versions.
Thanks again for the help. Someone once said that advice that you get for free is generally worth roughly what you have paid for it but you must be the exception that proves the rule
Regards Dennis.

rerwin

#31 Post by rerwin »

Dennis,
Thanks for all your help with this. My plan is to add to the fix for consistency, primarily adding changes for SL modems (already contributed somewhere else -- or just sent to Barry but not in 4A1). I also need to test under the new kernel before submitting. I hope to have it usable in 4.0.0 and 4.0.2, for inclusion in(alpha) 4.0.3. When you see it on the 4alpha2 forum thread, please try it out with everything you can.
Richard

sbaguz

No dialtone?

#32 Post by sbaguz »

After some years proudly using Puppy, I finally changed my PC… but the new powerful one hasn’t a serial port, so I had to buy an USB modem (an Atlantis WebRunner, a SmartLink softmodem…) instead of my old good serial one.
Surprise: Puppy 4.00 is able to detect it without any trouble!!!!! :D But when I try to connect, after dialing up it immediately disconnects giving a “no dial tone

rerwin

#33 Post by rerwin »

sbaguz,
I have a D-Link USB SmartLink modem and have seen a similar problem. I found that if I leave the "carrier check" option unchecked, the modem works. But not if that option is checked/turned-on. I also found that if I connect the modem through a hub, it will not dial successfully (but I assume you are not using a hub).

I found a discussion about the no-dialtone here, but no resolution:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58459

Some things to verify:
1. Assuming you are in Italy, be sure the /etc/countryinfo file reflects that.
2. lsmod should show module slusb and not slamr as loaded.
3. Please post the PupScan USB Interface listing item for the modem, to see the hardware IDs and that it is using module slusb.

Beyond all this, I am out of ideas.
Richard

russ

#34 Post by russ »

I get this message about no dialtone when I boot the computer without the usb modem connected. I guess it doesn't load the usb driver for the modem. However you say you can dialup and it wont stay connected, I corrected this by changing the login speed from 57600 to 115200. It dials in and stays connected now.

sbaguz

#35 Post by sbaguz »

First of all, thanks for your suggestions... :wink:

Anyway, I already knew about the "carrier check" option, I'm not using a hub and I already changed login speed to 115200. No success...
This evening I'll check the other things.

I'll post some other info tomorrow...

russ

#36 Post by russ »

sbagus,
There is another setting you can try on login speed 38400.

sbaguz

#37 Post by sbaguz »

No success again...
I followed all your suggestions above, everything seems to be ok and nothing changed. Only one point: I haven't a /etc/countryinfo file... Should I create it? In which format should I put country information inside? (By the way: trying a slmodemd -country=ITALY has made things worse: modem no more detected...).

However here are some PupScan results:

Module Size Used by
snd_mixer_oss 16896 0
snd_hda_intel 289308 0
snd_pcm 75656 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_timer 22020 1 snd_pcm
snd_hwdep 9220 1 snd_hda_intel
snd 52068 5 snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
soundcore 7520 1 snd
nvidia 6217744 24
i2c_core 22032 1 nvidia
agpgart 34128 1 nvidia
parport_pc 31716 0
lp 12616 0
parport 35528 2 parport_pc,lp
usblp 14080 0
slusb 16740 2
forcedeth 46600 0
snd_page_alloc 10120 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
fuse 44052 0
unionfs 83732 1
nls_iso8859_1 4224 0
nls_cp437 5888 0
usbhid 24928 0
usb_storage 83264 0
ehci_hcd 31116 0
ohci_hcd 21252 0
usbcore 127128 7 usblp,slusb,usbhid,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
sr_mod 17188 0
ide_cd 39200 0
cdrom 36768 2 sr_mod,ide_cd
squashfs 46856 1

Manufacturer=GENERIC
Product=USB Storage Device
SerialNumber=200705231228113ND
VendorID=116f ProductID=c110 KERNEL-MODULE=usb-storage
VendorID=0483 ProductID=7554 KERNEL-MODULE=ST7554 USB Modem

filename: /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/extra/slusb.ko
license: Smart Link Ltd.
description: ST7554 USB Smart Link Soft Modem driver.
author: Smart Link Ltd.
alias: usb:v0483p7554d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
depends: usbcore
vermagic: 2.6.21.7 mod_unload 486
parm: debug:Debug level: 0-3 (default=0) (int)

:wink:

russ

#38 Post by russ »

You might try the "modem-wizard" found in /usr/sbin/modem-wizard. I don't remember if it is in 4.0. I have used extra commands in windows to keep a modem connected. I have never looked to see if puppy has a place to put these commands. They went something like "+MS=44k". You might google this command for an init string for modems to see if that can help.

shri

Hi

#39 Post by shri »

Hi to all
i am useing puppy2.02 with kernel 2.6.16.7.when i am connect to modem (ZTE Model no:-Classic 23) its can't connect. :(
when i am cat /proc/bus/usb/devices its shows me

=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=10c4 ProdID=ea60 Rev= 1.00
S: Manufacturer=Silicon Labs
S: Product=USB to UART Bridge Controller
S: SerialNumber=0001
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

when i am useing Minisys kernel 2.6.21.7 its get connected to my pc.
when i am cat /proc/bus/usb/devices its shows me

=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=10c4 ProdID=ea60 Rev= 1.00
S: Manufacturer=Silicon Labs
S: Product=USB to UART Bridge Controller
S: SerialNumber=0001
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=cp2101
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

how to get cp2101.ko file for kernel 2.6.16.7 or any other source code to download this file.or any other tips or trics to connect modem (ZTE Model no:-Classic 23) with kernel 2.6.16.7.

tempestuous

#40 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy 2.02 already contains the cp2101 module. To "fetch" it from Puppy's zdrv file, do this

Code: Select all

modprobe -vn cp2101
To load it, do this

Code: Select all

modprobe cp2101