Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Sep 2018, 18:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 4.1 Alpha1 Test Reports, Issues, and possible bugs
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun 2008, 20:34    Post subject:  

Barry mentioned on the blog that he was putting /tmp back in ram. I was unable to comment there because I forgot my password and Seamonkey did not seem to store it.

Barry, imagine I am a Windows refugee trying out Puppy. I start watching a long youtube and halfway through it causes Puppy to hang. Every time I use it, it dies again at the same place. Will I chase this bug down, or will I go find another linux distro?

This example actually happened to me, and it took John Murga and myself some amount of time to figure it out. Most people won't bother and just will conclude Puppy is flakey.

It does not fix the problem to make /tmp take a larger piece of ram, it just makes it somewhat less likely - while consuming even more ram better used for applications. It also leaves small ram PC's in the lurch, if I'm not mistaken.

Speed demons with lots of ram can already modify Puppy to have /tmp in ram if they want. Most users I'd bet prefer reliability to the tiny performance boost they might see.

Another tactic might be to make this a configurable option with the default of having /tmp on the hard drive. Or another would be to use a small piece of ram for /tmp, and then mount more disk-based storage on top of that to ensure /tmp does not fill up and hang the system (we already tried this - it works).
nic2109

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun 2008, 07:12    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
t
nic2109,
Firmware loading is broken in 4.1apha1, please wait for alpha2, due out before end of this week.

Thanks for the reponse. I'll give it a try when it's out and report back.

nic2109

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun 2008, 03:17    Post subject:  

nic2109 wrote:
BarryK wrote:
t
nic2109,
Firmware loading is broken in 4.1apha1, please wait for alpha2, due out before end of this week.

Thanks for the reponse. I'll give it a try when it's out and report back.

Bad news on this front. Alpha 2 downloaded and tried but it's just the same. The network module is loaded OK (see screenshot) but the card isn't active - not so much as a single flicker on the indicator light. Crying or Very sad

tempestuous

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun 2008, 05:37    Post subject:  

nic2109 wrote:
the card isn't active - not so much as a single flicker on the indicator light.

Indicator lights don't ultimately determine success. What happens when you click the "wlan0" button and set up the network?

nic2109 wrote:
Is there anything by way of diagnostics I could usefully provide?

Yes, run dmesg and report anything relating to iwl3945. If you're unsure about this, give us the complete dmesg output, like this -
Code:
cd /root
dmesg > dmesg.txt
gzip dmesg.txt

Now attach dmesg.txt.gz to the forum.
kirk

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2008, 08:07    Post subject:  

On first boot (no pup_save) with a frugal install and pfix=noram, the desktop was blank, no pinboard. Restarting X fixed it. Only happens with no pup_save file. Maybe just me since no one else has reported it.

Hardware detection seems VERY good. Lots of new modules loaded, some of the new ones are button, pcspkr and more. Also the kernel seems to have many new processes running. Maybe not such a good thing, but top doesn't show them using any resources. My ipw2200 firmware loaded at boot. I kind of miss some of the convenience of Hotpup. But I can install that.

Looks like more than a alpha to me.

EDIT: Wrong thread, should have posted in alpha2 thread.

Last edited by kirk on Mon 09 Jun 2008, 23:14; edited 1 time in total
nic2109

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2008, 17:40    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
nic2109 wrote:
Is there anything by way of diagnostics I could usefully provide?

Yes, run dmesg and report anything relating to iwl3945. If you're unsure about this, give us the complete dmesg output, like this -
Code:
cd /root
dmesg > dmesg.txt
gzip dmesg.txt

Now attach dmesg.txt.gz to the forum.

Thanks. I'll attach the whole file as suggested, but the output from
Code:
dmesg | grep iwl3945
is :-
Code:

iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver for Linux, 1.2.23ks
iwl3945: Copyright(c) 2003-2007 Intel Corporation
iwl3945: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
iwl3945: Tunable channels: 13 802.11bg, 23 802.11a channels

And that's all; which was exactly the same both before and after running the Network Wizard - which did, of course fail to establish a WPA connection.

I don't really know enough about this to comment except to say that I think I am broadcasting on channel 11 which is the default for my router (a Netgear DG834G) so I am puzzled that it only mentions channels 13 and 23. Is that significant?

Anyway; I hope that this is useful information.
dmsg.txt.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  dmsg.txt.gz 
Filesize  4.53 KB 
Downloaded  295 Time(s) 

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2008, 19:54    Post subject:  

Hi guys, I'm tied up for another day or two, will get back into full-time Puppy development after that.

Yes, if you have trouble with wifi, first thing is to check that the firmware loaded, and running dmesg should tell you that -- at least it does for my 'acx' driver.
The acx driver reports what firmware file is being requested too, which is handy. If your module asks for firmware that isn't there, then we need to know!

Regarding Lobster's usb mouse problem, again, dmesg would be helpful -- Lobster, if you could gzip and attach it. Also, run 'lsmod', does the 'usbhid' module get loaded?

If usbhid has not loaded, try a hotplug -- unplug and replug mouse, then run 'lsmod' again, see if usbhid got loaded.

tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2008, 20:57    Post subject:  

Nick, the iwl3945 module seems to have loaded just fine, with no firmware errors - similar to kirk's results.
I suggest you temporarily disable encryption at your wifi router, and see if a connection can be made in this unencrypted state. If successful, the problem will clearly be related to encryption, so check my separate post on this subject -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29664
nic2109

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 09:26    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
Nick, the iwl3945 module seems to have loaded just fine, with no firmware errors - similar to kirk's results.
I suggest you temporarily disable encryption at your wifi router, and see if a connection can be made in this unencrypted state. If successful, the problem will clearly be related to encryption, so check my separate post on this subject -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29664

Bad news: Open is no different from WPA with exactly the same output from dmesg as reported above.

What next?

tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun 2008, 09:46    Post subject:  

OK, I now suspect that the basic connection may be successful, but dhcpcd fails.
There are various diagnostic steps you can take which are explained in "How to configure wifi from the commandline"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469
but a quick fix might simply be to assign a static IP address in the Network Wizard. Again, disable encryption during this testing phase.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jun 2008, 22:46    Post subject:  

Nick, I just downloaded the source code for the iwlwifi driver from http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads
and I see an interesting script called "load" which contains this -
Code:
prereq="blkcipher aes arc4 ecb cryptomgr crypto_algapi"

Translated into Puppy's situation; cryptomgr and crypto_algapi are compiled statically within the Puppy 4.1 kernel, and we already know about the aes, arc4, and ecb modules ... but it appears that crypto_blkcipher is also an important (maybe essential) module to have loaded. Maybe try loading this module, and attempt your connection again.
kirk

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jun 2008, 23:13    Post subject:  

I reported before that when I booted without a pup_save file the desktop was grey, ROX didn't have a pinboard. Haven't had a problem until today. I booted ram only and made a new pup_save file. This time the ram only boot had a normal desktop, but the first boot with new pup_save file had no desktop. Rebooted and all is fine. This was not a problem in alpha1.

EDIT: Wrong thread, should have posted in alpha2 thread.
nic2109

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 16:33    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
Nick, I just downloaded the source code for the iwlwifi driver from http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads
and I see an interesting script called "load" which contains this -
Code:
prereq="blkcipher aes arc4 ecb cryptomgr crypto_algapi"

Translated into Puppy's situation; cryptomgr and crypto_algapi are compiled statically within the Puppy 4.1 kernel, and we already know about the aes, arc4, and ecb modules ... but it appears that crypto_blkcipher is also an important (maybe essential) module to have loaded. Maybe try loading this module, and attempt your connection again.

@Tempestuous Sorry to have been quiet for soooooooooo long - somehow work has got in the way of my life slightly, and I've also had to wait for time when I have the network to myself so can safely change the wireless settings without the rest of the family moaning that it's stopped working. Despite Sage's assertion that wireless is just a fad - we all rather like it!

Now, back to business.

Treating your patient and helpful advice back-to-front with the most recent first: I found rather to my surprise that crypto_blkcipher was already loaded so something must pull it in automatically. None of the other encryption module were there so it is an odd situation.

The bad news is that even after very carefully following all your WPA and encryption advice I still cannot make a WPA connection. It doesn't find an "alive" network so the dhcp step is fruitless.

I captured (up to a point) the output from wpa_supplicant and attached it. Is this any use? Piping the output into a logfile works for a bit but then there's a command it doesn't handle and then stalls. Doing it for real as it were it loops for ages (I've never let it finish but have let it run for several minutes before cancelling) around the states SCANNING -> ASSOCIATING -> DISCONNECTING > SCANNING.

I hope this information helps.

But I DID have succcess with an Open network, but even that had an oddity. As per your suggestion I started with Open and manually assigning the address parameters. No good. Then on a whim I tried the "Auto" option and to my amazement it worked fine. I was so surprised that I switched off, booted with pfix=ram and tried again using the wizard. Exactly the same!

My experience so far is that Open works with Auto dhcp but nothing else does. How strange is that?
wpa.log.tar
Description 
tar

Download 
Filename  wpa.log.tar 
Filesize  10 KB 
Downloaded  544 Time(s) 

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun 2008, 18:15    Post subject:  

Well I haven't tried puppy 4.1A yet but I was building my latest "ttuuxxxTV" on puppy 4.0 and found out I couldn't play .ASX video streams anymore.
http://prog.videorelay.com/ubntv/live.asx
I used to be able to play them with puppy 2.17 no problem but on 4.0 no CodeC, yes I know its a MS Codec, but xine had a way around it without using the actual MS Codec. Just wondering if this will be fixed in future releases. It does play some .asx videos but the link I posted worked with 2.17 and not 4.0.

As puppy 4.0 this is the final list problems I had.

-Desktop "Install" Icon is linked to pupget when it should be linked to petget. simple fix same with the start/menu icon.

-Clipboard is really bad, even with Glipper you copy but then you have to select in a list on Glipper what you want to paste, It should be the last thing you copied, but Glipper usually paste the previous copy unless you instruct it different.
I must say that 4.0 was the most frustrating puppy to work with since I started using puppy, because of this. Barry did state most Linux distros work this way, Well then that just made previous versions of puppy better than most , Why not strive for better.Smile

-Mplayer in the main repository does not work on puppy 4.0 and should be deleted or fixed.

-Qt4 Paint does not work right, Just try to compile MuseScore and you'll get a Qt4 Paint error, I tried to fix this one a few times with no luck.
http://mscore.sourceforge.net/en/idx.php When ever you compile it, Its missing menu icons like save,folder,newpage.
Its not because of the icons, its the qtpaint not working, When I installed other full versions of Qt4 it worked, Plus when you install the extra Qt4 files in the repository 1 Qt file is missing, the petget managers states, Plus I replaced it with a working one, but didn't solve this issue.

-libpng also isn't complete you get errors about no information needed by files. When I compiled libpng boy it came with a lot of stuff that puppy didn't have in it.

-I also get a lot of dbus not installed issues, Is there a complete installed dbus for puppy?

-Same with HAL not being installed, Is there also a complete version of HAL for puppy.

-With libstdc++ i get "No information provided"

Well thats my list for 4.0, Also I must say its a great release, Done very well, a few minor issues, No major issues, Thanks Barry for all you've done Smile and everybody else.

ttuuxxx

@@@Updated@@@
As Qt4 goes I was just wondering why its being located in /opt when most of the time you see it in /usr/lib
Maybe thats an issue?
ttuuxxx

jonscrut

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep 2008, 08:58    Post subject:  

@tempestuous

Just to confirm that the Sweex LW141 wireless card works with Puppy 4.1 beta (though only tested on open networks - not yest tested on WEP).
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: